What Is The Absolute BEST Guitar Polish On The Market?

Marshredder

• Members

Best guitar polish? Ideally, it would get rid of any and all dimming down of any finish (for example the matte finish that a nitro guitar gets after some play) Whilst eliminating as many scratches as possible.

What about Dunlop 65 Bodyglos? Gibson Luthiers kit?

Recommend me some! I got some "Pro Shine Clayton USA" yesterday and its rubbish :facepalm:

• Members

Make sure it's a polish and not a wax.Wax contains alot of grit polish doesn't.

It's the other way around. Polish has abrasives to remove oxidized or UV damaged paint. Wax doesn't have a abrasives in it unless it says "cleaner wax" which has mild abrasives to remove oxidized paint. You use a polish to remove dull paint and wax to seal it.

• Members

It's the other way around. Polish has abrasives to remove oxidized or UV damaged paint. Wax doesn't have a abrasives in it unless it says "cleaner wax" which has mild abrasives to remove oxidized paint. You use a polish to remove dull paint and wax to seal it.

HUH? No {censored}.I put the wax in my hand and work it around and I can feel alot of grit.I do the same with polish and no grit.Hmmmm........I guess you're right though

• Members

I bought the Gibson polish and it seemed to be {censored}, making the finish dull as if it were designed to create an old look or something.

I bought Planet Waves Restore and it worked beautifully. I didn't clean up my 61 SG reissue for like a year as per Alpha Music's instructions for allowing a nitro coat to fully cure. The Gibson polish was essentially useless. The Planet Waves made it look brand new, hell, better than new.

• Members

Avoid Pledge or anything with silicone. Once the silicone is absorbed into the wood it makes any repairs extremely difficult. Dan Erlewine recommends spit and a soft cloth in his books. He even mentions just using your breath and wiping. Personally I use Dr. Ducks' Axe Wax. Just a little bit on a cloth and some elbow grease works wonders.

BTW - You can get some great micofiber polishing cloths in the Auto Section of your favorite super market. I picked up 5 of these for $3.99 at a Rite Aid across the street from me.

Archived