Post pics of your uncommon/rare guitars

peavey_impact

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's my Gretsch Junior Jet. It's (for lack of a better term) semi-uncommon. While it's listed as an available model on the Gretsch website, the two pickup Junior Jet II seems to be much more common. Do a web search of music stores (MF, Music 123, etc.), and you'll see that most of them don't offer it. I had to special order mine, and even then, had to settle for a 3 week wait for a tobacco sunburst one. A black one would have been cool, but the wait would have been 4 months!. Junior has turned out to be perfect for rowdy, punky rock.

• Members

There are some freakin awesome guitars in this thread :love:

Guess I'll go ahead and post mine:

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

1991 USA Custom Shop Starfield Cabriolet - handbuilt by Mace Bailey, the same master builder at Ibanez that built Steve Vai's original JEM and triple neck guitars, as well as tons of other custom axes for notable players. Starfield was a top-quality division of Hoshino/Ibanez guitars that developed retro-modern axes for a short period of time. Richie Kotzen and Kurt Cobain were the most notable Starfield players. Standard production Starfields are pretty damned uncommon; a one-off Custom Shop model like mine is a score of a lifetime for me.

The hardtail Wilkinson WK5 bridge is extremely uncommon and very nice.

• Members
There are some freakin awesome guitars in this thread
:love:

Guess I'll go ahead and post mine:

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

1991 USA Custom Shop Starfield Cabriolet - handbuilt by Mace Bailey, the same master builder at Ibanez that built Steve Vai's original JEM and triple neck guitars, as well as tons of other custom axes for notable players. Starfield was a top-quality division of Hoshino/Ibanez guitars that developed retro-modern axes for a short period of time. Richie Kotzen and Kurt Cobain were the most notable Starfield players. Standard production Starfields are pretty damned uncommon; a one-off Custom Shop model like mine is a score of a lifetime for me.

The hardtail Wilkinson WK5 bridge is extremely uncommon and very nice.

Is that why the headstock looks like the one of an Iceman?

• Members

Is that why the headstock looks like the one of an Iceman?

They are not quite the same. The Starfield headstock pulls the strings in a straight line to the tuner; also the Iceman headstock is larger has a little cut-out at the very tip of the headstock that the Starfields do not have.

• Members

I had a black L6-S custom with the 5 position varitone. That was a great

guitar, I always regretted selling it as it was surprisingly good.

That's actually a natural L6-S standard, actually a rarer guitar than the

custom which was more commonplace.

The guitars were played by Carlos Santana, Bob 1 and 2 in Devo and

Kerry Livgren and Rich Williams in the band Kansas. All of those guys

played the custom. If you look at Mike Oldfield's live album "Exposed"

he plays a natural colored standard like yours and also Nico Ramsden,

the second guitarist also played one. Pretty cool.

Former Hampton Grease Band guitarist Glen Phillips played a heavily modded L6S as his main guitar for years, that included a Telecaster pickup in the bridge position and a Jazzmaster trem.

Oldfield's L6S ended up with an engraved metal top via Tony Zemaitis.

[YOUTUBE]ncvaoDQa6hA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Those Starfield guitars were cool. I almost picked one up when they were around in the 90s.

Check out my Silvertone with a custom flame maple/ebony neck. The original neck broke and I happened to be friends with a crazy good luthier who hooked me up.

• Members

1984 Carvin DC160T

I had the original brass nut/Kahler locking thingy taken off and a graphite nut put on, stays in tune alot better now. The pickups are weak compared to the newer Carvin pup's...
DC160t.jpg

2003 Steinberger GM4S
Copyof100_0703.jpg

• Members

holy {censored}!

whats the little slider switch do? (or supposed to do?)

We didn't have 5-way switches back then so I put an extra switch in to mimic the in-between setting on the pups. Ah, to go back in time and slap that dumb teenager {me} for cutting up the p/g would be a consideration.

The guitar was not a valuable icon back then, it was just a junk guitar the factory didn't want anymore so when they were through with it it was given to my father. The neck had to be replaced and 2 of the pups over the years so it has continued its role as a parts guitar that Leo put together to test bridge designs, pup designs and even p/g designs. The guitar had at least 3 different pick guards on it before it left the factory and who knows how many different pups and necks. Bill Carson and other guitar players would take the guitar out to gigs, play it and decide what they did and didn't like about it and ask Leo to change this or that to thier liking. All of this history and the pictures are in Richards book which I just discovered a few yerars ago, up untill then I just knew a friend of my dads gave him this old guitar and it was probably a prototype.

JMPRO

• Members
Wow, I've never seen an F guitar before, just the basses because Alain Caron

of Uzeb was really into the F basses for a while. Cool looking and what an

ultra ergonomic neck joint - unreal.

Alain is still playing F bass (there's actually a Alain Caron Model).

Uzeb's guitarist Michel Cusson used to play F guitars,
here he is with his white F:

michelto9.jpg

• Members
I had a black L6-S custom with the 5 position varitone. That was a great

guitar, I always regretted selling it as it was surprisingly good.

That's actually a natural L6-S standard, actually a rarer guitar than the

custom which was more commonplace.

The guitars were played by Carlos Santana, Bob 1 and 2 in Devo and

Kerry Livgren and Rich Williams in the band Kansas. All of those guys

played the custom. If you look at Mike Oldfield's live album "Exposed"

he plays a natural colored standard like yours and also Nico Ramsden,

the second guitarist also played one. Pretty cool.

I think Gibson called it the 'Deluxe' model. I knew Carlos used an L6-S for a short time, didn't know about Kansas or the other artists.

It's a '74 and the pups were SD's that I put on it years ago. I've since put the original hardware - pups and tuners back on and retired it. The stock pups had black plastic covers.

IMG_7942.jpg

• Members
_6MB2631.jpg

Strat, the prototype. Built in late 53 and given to my father in 54. Leo Fender photographed this guitar and those pictures appear on pages 127 & 132 of Richard Smiths book "Fender, the sound heard around the world"

JMPRO

You torture us by not giving us a pic of the prototype's headstock.

• Members
You torture us by not giving us a pic of the prototype's headstock.

Sorry, I didn't mean to subject you any kind of torture. As I mentioned before the original neck that was on it when I got it had been replaced so the pictures now do not show the original neck. Here is a pic of the original neck that was installed on a Telecaster I had back in 62 or so. That Tele was later sold with the Strat neck on it never to be seen again. Again I stress the importance of watching your kids and not let them do some of the stupid things I did. I might add that there is no absolute evidence that the neck shown on the Tele is the same neck that Leo photographed back in 53.
pic102-1.jpg

Leo's picture from 1953
stratfront.jpg

JMPRO

Archived