Newb question: Are there acoustic strings that are better than others?

kwillman

• Members

It depends on what you mean by "better." Different strings sound different, different strings last longer, different strings are easier to fret, etc. Personally, I recommend DR Rares or Sunbeams because they have a reputation for lasting quite a while. Their "mediums" are .012-.054 vs. .013-.056 for other brands so be careful when choosing your gauge. If you're a beginner, a set of "medium-lite" .011-.050 will work well.

• Members

Oh my... Confusion starts. One with 10s and now .11s..... Here my friendly ORIGINAL POSTER, get the lightest you can, 10s is good. Those Daddarrrrriooos are fine, but screw the brand names, and learn an "F" chord. Then report back and we'll talk brands. You have some learnin' ta do before you can become a cork sniffer. There is no brand "newbie friendlier" than another. Yes, this answer IS the definitive one. The rest of you can JUST GO TO HELL!!! 😊

• Members

I've been to that resort and some of its affiliates in the middle earth region. Not bad. It did not teach me anything about guitar strings, though, so I don't know why you recommend them. That chord is there, though, so maybe a visit will do some good. Nut groove depth should be something to consider as well.

• Members
I recommend the lightest set of Elixir nanoweb or D'Addario EXP acoustic strings that you can get. They should last you until you reach the point where you're looking for a bit more punch.
Excuse me, but I think the definitive answer has already been posted..by ME. How dare you and you can go right to hell. And take your damn EXPs with you! Geez.

• Members
Oh my... Confusion starts. One with 10s and now .11s..... Here my friendly ORIGINAL POSTER' date=' get the lightest you can, 10s is good. . . .[/quote']

No confusion, just differing opinions. Personally, I wouldn't recommend 10's even for a beginner. If the OP decides to go with 10's that's his/her prerogative. Either is very light for acoustic. If he/she wants to use 8's meant for an electric, likewise.

• Members

It's the difference between regular and angel hair pasta. One is a mouthful and the other not so much. The former goes down in a masticated lump washed down with a beverage, the latter doesn't require such work.

Back a few years I'd say work for the sound of the guitar by using a gauge that made for the best sound. Now, I say use a gauge that makes for ease of playing. In the learning mode we've always stressed a good set-up and guitar that best suits the noob, if same can discern that much going in. Then we stressed patience, practice and lots of each. Ease of play should also include the easiest to depress strings. The sonics are not as important as ease of play. Even our good bud Denny knows that and capitalizes on it via happy consumers. So, I'm a convert where noobs are getting up the nerve to ask their questions. It's a big responsibility for someone to actually make like he cares about them so if I can fake that I'll be happy with myself.

• Members

He probably won't. They don't seem to. The ones who do call it like it is - dredging up an old thread - and even then they move on after a short spell.

This site is not populated with people who are very journalistic or entertaining. That's because the topics are pretty boring and its discussion is no longer a prize to be had by question, answer or association. We know what we know now and we're done with knowing more. It's that damned boring. No one posts music, either, which means it isn't a matter of not being here because we're polishing up our chops on the guitar to showcase on the forum. We're largely done.

The site itself is not a visual display of Wow-Wee, either.

At the other sites you see questions like "What is the best of your worst guitars?", and other inane questions that the old guard responds to with robotic obligation to the inquirer. We don't do that here without tongue-in-cheek responses or other inferred snide-side self-humoring. Those same inquirers at the other sites are also one-hit posters for the most part. They just get lost in the numbers of posts and immediately forgotten. Here, we have mostly me fooling around with nuisance-posting (fishing). There are few people like me on other sights who are invisible because there's a very high incidence of posting negating the need for a volunteer defibrillator technician.

We're quick to take the legs out of posters here, too. Pick a petty reason - like entering through an old post - and it's off with their heads. That's just so selfish that it smacks of egotism. We are egotists, no doubt, but we don't even welcome a noob long enough to make him feel at home before the guillotine gets dusted off.

Lot's of reasons exist for this place to go south and it's usually human error related.

• Members

Well, first off Fretty, post was xmas eve. Unlike us, and I'm gonna go out on a limb, perhaps he doesn't hinge his life on what you happen to be saying at any given moment, and actually steps away from the keyboard for a few days at a time. and I'll second that "entering through an old post" sentiment, and suggest you bring it down a few notches on your righteous indignation and give these a chance to play out. ........unless your goal is to belong to an echo chamber. BTW, speaking of good posts, Etienne Rambert's last post in the "Many years ago, a child was born..." is clever fodder for a good laugh. So there is that. Creative people, senses of humor, what more could you want?

• Members
. . . We're quick to take the legs out of posters here' date=' too. Pick a petty reason - like entering through an old post - and it's off with their heads. That's just so selfish that it smacks of egotism. We are egotists, no doubt, but we don't even welcome a noob long enough to make him feel at home before the guillotine gets dusted off. . . .[/quote']

As FretFiend pointed out, nobody took the legs off this particular poster although he/she may have been put off by some of the snarkiness that surfaced fairly quickly. Quite simply "the best strings" is subjective and there's room for disagreement. I for one won't be chopping off any heads because I refuse to post in resurrected threads. I do note that it's been two days and the OP hasn't replied.

• Members

It isn't a matter of seeking exoneration for previous snarkiness. It's a matter of having the good sense to know your place. Evidently, that still has not sunk in.

Yes, strings are a matter of taste as is the guitar, the builder, the materials used, the perceived quality of the whole and the skills necessary to arrive at some sort of conclusion, and all of it still being very distinct from the next person's "taste", leaving the notion of a standard or constant the thinking of the uninformed masses.

I put strings on a guitar and play them immediately. Then I play them daily and make a decision within that week whether I will continue to use them or move on. I just happen to know a miniscule amount about metallurgy that's sufficient enough to understand that tensional stresses on the strings will sooner, than later, render a null point in the elasticity of the weakest strings (and therefore the set) and they will decline in sonic properties. Over a period of time a tuning fork suffers the same fate, though not as dramatic. It still emits its design frequency but the ring quality is greatly diminished since original milling and quenching. That's a 20 second BS session on metallurgy that is a fact of gauges and alloys and in direct juxtaposition to any coatings used on them. All like alloys of the same cross-sectional dimension will die the same death at the same time for the same amount of fatigue placed on them and no coating will prevent that. Imaginings and tin ears are great foes to conquer, though, so the string wars wage on.

So, any light gauge string that's cheap and easy to play will be fine for a noob who is looking to make it a game of fun rather than a labor of love, the latter being the necessary evil at worst, of course.

• Members
It isn't a matter of seeking exoneration for previous snarkiness. It's a matter of having the good sense to know your place. Evidently' date=' that still has not sunk in. . . .[/quote']

And of course you know my place and you're more than willing to tell me, which is the basis for what you've been saying to me and FretFiend. When I came on board 8 years ago, I recognized the fact that I was a noob despite playing since the early 70's and having been a mod on another site. I was still a noob as far as this forum was concerned. Now that's no longer true and I try to have a more-or-less constructive response to people who are. Heck, I tried to help people who needed it when I was a noob. Frankly, I have no need for exoneration. But I also have limited tolerance for BS like people who manufacture arguments because it satisfies some inner need, and people who refuse to be helped. I hope you realize this thread is now completely derailed, which could be the reason the OP hasn't returned, not what kind of welcome he/she received.

• Members
It isn't a matter of seeking exoneration for previous snarkiness. It's a matter of having the good sense to know your place. Evidently' date=' that still has not sunk in. Yes, strings are a matter of taste as is the guitar, the builder, the materials used, the perceived quality of the whole and the skills necessary to arrive at some sort of conclusion........ I put strings on So, any light gauge string that's cheap and easy to play will be fine for a noob who is looking to make it a game of fun rather than a labor of love, the latter being the necessary evil at worst, of course.[/quote'] HEY YOU SUMBICH, I sayed the same durn thang up there before! Ok, you may have better buk larnin' an all, and may have said the durn thing better 'ceat fer all them doller words. Have the 2 forum scolders ever given it any thought that perhaps this person "got" his answer, and that was that. Not everyone longs for the "community" of faceless folk and fake names.

Archived