Too Old For New Amps!!!

Saig55

• Members

Just bought a new Les Paul. Wanted to buy an amp. Bought a Fender Mustang 1 v2. I know I'm old but I've got to get my grandson to show me how to use the dang thing. When the green light is on it means this and when the red light is on its this and don't forget to hit save or you get to start over. Oh but if you want a clean sound you turn this and then turn on and WHAT??? Here's the kicker, if you don't like any of those presets, just plug it into your computer and change them all.

It is true with me, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Lol

I finally found one setting that I like, I hollered "don't change anything, that's it. of course I have no idea how I got there...

Acoustic was so much simpler, just not as much fun....

• Members

Sell it and get something basic. They still sell simple amps and stuff that's simple like channel switching. You can still buy individual stomp boxes. Buying used you can still purchase all kinds of gear. I still have my first amp, a 1967 Black faced Bassman that runs as good as the day I got it. I do see them pop up all the time at decent prices as well as all the silver faced amps.

If you want to get into the all in one solutions, then you have to read the manual to learn how to use them. An unpleasant chore but something you have to do if you want to use all the technology built into the newer amps.

• Members

I did say that tongue in cheek.... but it is overwhelming. The manual is like 2 pages. I've been looking online and reading about the different settings people use. Like most people, I'm pretty lazy now that I'm retired..... lol

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Saig55, I know what you mean. I avoid the modeling amps for that reason. For me it is analogous to my effects pedals. I had (still have, but don't use) a Digitech multi effects peadal. I thought it would be cool to have so much functionality in one box. The problem that I had is that it was so much more difficult to go through the menu to change a parameer and save it than it was to turn one knob. For me, that process made it less obvious how that parameter changed to tome and why. Maybe becasue changeing the depth of the reverb was the same process as changing the tone on the overdrive. Anyway, I prefer a simple, toneful amplifier with the effects I want on my pedal board. Your mileage may vary.

• Members

Just bought a new Les Paul. Wanted to buy an amp. Bought a Fender Mustang 1 v2. I know I'm old but I've got to get my grandson to show me how to use the dang thing. When the green light is on it means this and when the red light is on its this and don't forget to hit save or you get to start over. Oh but if you want a clean sound you turn this and then turn on and WHAT??? Here's the kicker, if you don't like any of those presets, just plug it into your computer and change them all.

It is true with me, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Lol

I finally found one setting that I like, I hollered "don't change anything, that's it. of course I have no idea how I got there...

Acoustic was so much simpler, just not as much fun....

Did it come with a manual ?

I was totally in Analog Heaven ( still lov'em), until a guy from the set up crew taught me how to modify my sounds with M.I.D.I. gear. When it sank in, I never looked back. They are ways of making those digital ones and zeros sound analog.

Give it a shot, give your self a chance and you may like it. just remember to hit the "SAVE" button after creating you customized patch.

Let us know how your're coming along .

• Members
Everything is too complicated nowadays. "Features" is a word I hate with a vengeance. 9 times out of ten I'm paying for a bunch of crap I don't use.

Its easy to see, manipulate and wrap your head around a chain of pedals on the floor. Each have their own influence on the sound and eliminating one as you play is just a push button or unplugging the thing.

When you have a modeling amp or multi effects pedal that visual/physical control isn't the same, especially if you grew up with hands on analog manipulation of those individual pedals.

When you deal with modeling amps with effects built in and multi effects pedals, you're dealing with presets and effect banks which requires you to think about those individual effects in a different way. If you have say 10 pedals on the floor, you get to know where they are by their position in the chain and just navigate to them. When you have 100 presets, its much more difficult to memorize all those possible pedal/effect combinations.

The best you can do is build the presets in some logical manor that suits your needs. I've done this recently with a Digitec pedal which has the typical up and down bank pedals. I started on the low end with cleaner and slightly driven amp emulations and as I move up in numbers, the amps get more driven and have more effects added. I find this good enough for recording purposes but for live its ridiculously inefficient.

If I wanted to go from a clean sound at 5 to a highly driven setting at say 30 I have to scroll all the way up to that number while walking and chewing gum playing and singing at the same time. I have to look down and make sure I stop on the right number and not overshoot it and all that draws attention from the performance. If I have individual pedals I simply punch the drive pedal with one click and I'm there. I want to go back I punch that pedal again.

The larger multi effects with multiple buttons are better. You can set up those switches to act like individual pedals. Tweaking them individually on the spot however usually isn't that simple, even if you do it allot. They have been getting better, but you really have to come up with something very simple that has no time lag adjusting to be efficient. Knobs really cant be beat for this because its twist and go. I just hate having those knobs on the floor. It would be better to have the units up at waist level and only have the switches on the floor, much like you have rack units set on top of amps. This way you aren't bending over like a dork with your butt in the air on stage when you need to make a change.

• Members
When you have a modeling amp or multi effects pedal that visual/physical control isn't the same' date=' especially if you grew up with hands on analog manipulation of those individual pedals. [/quote']

That's one of the reasons I still like the Yamaha DG series of modeling amps.

yamahadg130headpanel.jpg

They have eight amplifier types (labeled clean, crunch, drive and lead) and a familiar set of volume and tone controls. The controls are motorized and the position saved in the memory. When a preset is called up, the knobs move into position and it's easy to see where they are and what needs to be tweaked to get the desired sound.

These amps also sound very good and it makes me wonder why Yamaha discontinued them.

• Members

That's one of the reasons I still like the Yamaha DG series of modeling amps.

yamahadg130headpanel.jpg

They have eight amplifier types (labeled clean, crunch, drive and lead) and a familiar set of volume and tone controls. The controls are motorized and the position saved in the memory. When a preset is called up, the knobs move into position and it's easy to see where they are and what needs to be tweaked to get the desired sound.

These amps also sound very good and it makes me wonder why Yamaha discontinued them.

That's cool.

Neil Young was one of the pioneers using Motorized faders on his amp. He had some external rig he added to the amp to turn the knobs he called the Wizzer. It used servo motors he could control from a board on stage which turned his knobs on the amp.

fetch?id=31433542

c067a422185034adcdb449cd671c3a03.jpg.8bba6a4692154f4af99e87fc70480b6f.jpg

7578e413151b011735bf9462bc3f63d9.jpg.8b35d8dd2da95a685a3df1eef4838616.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I'm in your club. I tried out a Mustang III and thought "Why should I have to work so hard to coax a tone I like out of this thing?"

I play through a Vox Modeling amp and it is simple and good sounding. Twist the dial to the desired amp model, set the volume, gain and tones to taste and play away. You can save the setting with a simple press of the preset button and recall it whenever you want until you save over it. I forget how many presets you can save but it is pretty basic and functions logically.

Another amp I have tried and liked is the Fender Champion series. Simple twist of the knobs and you got it going on.

I just bought a Fender Deluxe VM for that reverby Fender clean and just compared it to the Fender Blackface Model in the Vox. The Vox actually does a pretty good imitation but to my ears nothing beats a Fender clean.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Such a simple amp to use.

Turn the knob and roll through the presets, simple as that.

Then Turn the "Treble, bass, middle, effects knobs to alter any preset your playing on.

Hold the button down to keep your changes permenent for that setting if you want or not.

Archived