Great production in the 80's

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guido61 View Post

So he stumbled over the shark?
    Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

I should also mention that the horrors of 80s production didn't just affect pop and rock... they made their way into jazz as well... I listened to a lot of 80s jazz guitar stuff, and held my nose about the sounds, cause the playing and ideas were so great.

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

80s hair metal was the best. It's still my favorite type of music.
        Originally posted by MrKnobs
        God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio Farquarth III View Post
          80s hair metal was the best. It's still my favorite type of music.
          You have my sincere consciences.

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Originally posted by Red Ant View Post
            Most of my "80s listening" was "avant-funk/no-wave" ... James Chance & The Contortions,

Why don't you try being stupid
            Instead of smart.
            I'd get up
            If I knew I fell

---------------
            I love this record – ray
            https://soundcloud.com/ed-phobes

Comment

The Flat Earth is a brilliant album, and it still sounds incredible to me... all the glitz and polish of 80s production, but perfectly organic to the music and balanced with warmth, space and incredible stereo imaging.
              It's a favorite of mine. Particularly "Screen Kiss" and "the Flat Earth." The bass player on that album is an absolute monster. Whoa, guess he was in the Soft Boys? Just looked it up.

Most of what I was listening to in the 80s was not huge budget stuff by US top forty standards with some exceptions. Brian Eno with Talking Heads and U2 were obviously lavish productions. The Hurting and Songs from the Big Chair by Tears for Fears were major productions. Diesel and Dust is a cool sounding album, no idea who did that one. Some cool dub and reggae albums were made in the eighties, for example, "Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires."
              Last edited by Zooey; 05-06-2019, 12:15 PM.

Comment

I should also mention that the horrors of 80s production didn't just affect pop and rock... they made their way into jazz as well...
                Remember Miles Davis' "You're Under Arrest?" Yikes. Actually, John Scofield is on that one.
                Last edited by Zooey; 05-06-2019, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Of course, Ozric Tentacles started out in the 80s, and I love the sh*t out of ANYTHING Ozric Tentacles

I backed into that one. I was very loosely into the rave scene of the 90s, so I heard Eat Static first, and Ozric Tentacles much later.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooey View Post

I backed into that one. I was very loosely into the rave scene of the 90s, so I heard Eat Static first, and Ozric Tentacles much later.

I'm familiar with Eat Static through the Ozrics, but like it far less, as there isn't nearly as much genre-blending going on, its fairly conventional EDM for its time.

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

I really like the sound of some of the early Cocteau Twins records, especially Head over Heels though I imagine Anton hates that one.

There were a few others on 4AD that I also still like a lot - for example Throwing Muses' House Tornado album and Wolfgang Press. Siouxsie' Tinderbox and Juju are also two favorites from that era - mostly for the music but also for the atmosphere and mood of the recordings.

For me in many cases, it's more about the atmosphere or soundscape created by the production. I don't think that it has to be some rigidly defined thing. The production can and should be part of the aesthetic effect experienced by the listener. If the Fall or the Stooges' or Sonic Youth's records sounded like Phil Spector or some other more current mainstream sound engineer, they wouldn't have the same artistic value IMO.
                      Last edited by Zig al-din; 05-06-2019, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Huh? He played a 1st inversion Maj triad??? With a little sus4 thrown in? Genius!

Seriously, whats so special about DMaj(sus4), BbMaj/D and Cmaj/D?
                        Honestly, "Way Cool Junior" is the example I would use for a Ratt guitar intro. At least it grooves.....sort of.
                        Lease this space!

Comment

Originally posted by Opposite Day View Post
                          Oh, here's one! Very '80s!

Please tell me that you aren't serious.....Paula Abdul is NOT a strong singer....really terrible technique......blech.
                          Lease this space!

Comment

Lots of good productions from the 80s...

Anything by Quincy Jones
                            Anything Trevor Horn... Yes, Pet Shop Boys
                            Dire Straits records
                            Rush records
                            Madonna records
                            Lenny Kravitz records

Comment

Turn of a Friendly Card?

Lease this space!

Comment

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack View Post
                                Turn of a Friendly Card?
                                I don't know about everyone else, but I always liked Alan Parsons' work.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                                - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                                - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                                - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Working...
                                X