Great production in the 80's

• Members

Meh. Even for 80s hair metal, its mediocre... I had to pull up a youtube to ever remember what it sounded like. VH was still king of the memorable intro riff back then.

It took me years to figure that riff out exactly! :mad2: He takes a Police/Eddie Brickell chord and pushes the top two notes up a half step turning it into major triad with the 3rd in the bass. Pretty slick!

Of course you're right though, Eddie was the king.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Stopped by a friend’s house for dinner and he has some music playing in the background and an Arif Mardin 80s production — Chaka Khan’s “Through the Fire”, which I probably haven’t heard since the 80s—comes on and I thought immediately of this thread. :lol:

gawdawful!

• Members
Stopped by a friend’s house for dinner and he has some music playing in the background and an Arif Mardin 80s production — Chaka Khan’s “Through the Fire”, which I probably haven’t heard since the 80s—comes on and I thought immediately if this thread. :lol:

gawdawful!

:barf:

It's definitely no "You've Got the Love" or "Ain't Nobody."

• Moderators

It took me years to figure that riff out exactly! :mad2: He takes a Police/Eddie Brickell chord and pushes the top two notes up a half step turning it into major triad with the 3rd in the bass. Pretty slick!

Of course you're right though, Eddie was the king.

Huh? He played a 1st inversion Maj triad??? With a little sus4 thrown in? Genius! :lol:

Seriously, whats so special about DMaj(sus4), BbMaj/D and Cmaj/D?

• Members

:barf:

It's definitely no "You've Got the Love" or "Ain't Nobody."

True. But the fact is those production styles wouldn’t have worked in the 80s. And I certainly understood the need for updating sounds at the time and I don’t hate the 80s stuff as much as some people here. But that Arif Mardin thing? Wow. Made David Foster sound restrained and subtle. :lol:

• Members

Huh? He played a 1st inversion Maj triad??? With a little sus4 thrown in? Genius! :lol:

Seriously, whats so special about DMaj(sus4), BbMaj/D and Cmaj/D?

Well as they say, you take what's good for your pleasin'

I'll take what's good for the crazy evening. :lol:

• Members

True. But the fact is those production styles wouldn’t have worked in the 80s. And I certainly understood the need for updating sounds at the time and I don’t hate the 80s stuff as much as some people here. But that Arif Mardin thing? Wow. Made David Foster sound restrained and subtle. :lol:

Ain't Nobody was '83, but yeah.

In my mind there is the good 80s that includes Van Halen, hair bands up to and including Ratt, but not Poison, and of course it's the golden age of hip hop.

And then the bad '80s, which include synth pop bands (special exemptions for Human League, Soft Cell, Kajagoogoo and Duran Duran), Van Hagar, Madonna, etc.. And there was something about the '80s that completely tainted all the '70s prog rock bands. It was really uncanny how bands like Yes and Rush seemed to be like, "hey we tried being good, let's try sucking now! I bet our Album sales will double!" which of course they did. Not just prog bands actually. Billy Joel went from tunes like "The Stranger" to "Uptown Girl." What the hell happened? :lol:

• Members

Ain't Nobody was '83, but yeah.

In my mind there is the good 80s that includes Van Halen, hair bands up to and including Ratt, but not Poison, and of course it's the golden age of hip hop.

And then the bad '80s, which include synth pop bands (special exemptions for Human League, Soft Cell, Kajagoogoo and Duran Duran), Van Hagar, Madonna, etc.. And there was something about the '80s that completely tainted all the '70s prog rock bands. It was really uncanny how bands like Yes and Rush seemed to be like, "hey we tried being good, let's try sucking now! I bet our Album sales will double!" which of course they did. Not just prog bands actually. Billy Joel went from tunes like "The Stranger" to "Uptown Girl." What the hell happened? :lol:

I love a lot of the 80s synth stuff. Tears for Fears. Simple Minds. Howard Jones. Some of that production is dated now, of course, but I loved it at the time. Fresh and groundbreaking and I was soooo “please don’t make hear another southern rock thing ever again!” at the time.

The prog bands? Well it was either go that route or go home. “Tormato”, anyone? Can I get a shout out for King Crimson’s “Discipline” though? Love that album and the production.

Billy gets a pass from me because I heard him say once that he came up with the idea of “Uptown Girl” while sitting at a table in a bar with Elle McPherson (who he was dating at the time), Christie Brinkley and Whitney Houston and he was like “WTF? How did I end up HERE?”

Sometimes it’s best to just roll with it. :)

• Moderators

Can I get a shout out for King Crimson’s “Discipline” though? Love that album and the production.

I loved it when it came out, and I saw every tour from Discipline to Three of A Perfect Pair, but I find it nigh unlistenable now, whereas I can listen to Lark's Tongue, Starless and Red and never tire of it. 80s KC is just too cold and mathematical for me now, and the production and sounds have a great deal to do with it.

Here's one that does hold up for me still - a brilliant song is a brilliant song, and I think the production works beautifully.

[video=youtube;onCpEJDfyg0]

The Flat Earth is a brilliant album, and it still sounds incredible to me... all the glitz and polish of 80s production, but perfectly organic to the music and balanced with warmth, space and incredible stereo imaging.

• Members

I love a lot of the 80s synth stuff. Tears for Fears. Simple Minds. Howard Jones. Some of that production is dated now, of course, but I loved it at the time. Fresh and groundbreaking and I was soooo “please don’t make hear another southern rock thing ever again!” at the time.

The prog bands? Well it was either go that route or go home. “Tormato”, anyone? Can I get a shout out for King Crimson’s “Discipline” though? Love that album and the production.

Billy gets a pass from me because I heard him say once that he came up with the idea of “Uptown Girl” while sitting at a table in a bar with Elle McPherson (who he was dating at the time), Christie Brinkley and Whitney Houston and he was like “WTF? How did I end up HERE?”

Sometimes it’s best to just roll with it. :)

:D

Don't kill the whale, bro!

Still take that over Big Generator any day.

• Members
Re: Van Halen.

Ive never been a big fan of what Ted Templeman and Donn Landee did with drums sounds. Either with the Doobie Brothers or with Van Halen.

But “Fair Warning” f’n rocks!

Right down to the album cover painted by violent mental patients! :rawk:

• Members

I loved it when it came out, and I saw every tour from Discipline to Three of A Perfect Pair, but I find it nigh unlistenable now, whereas I can listen to Lark's Tongue, Starless and Red and never tire of it. 80s KC is just too cold and mathematical for me now, and the production and sounds have a great deal to do with it.

Here's one that does hold up for me still - a brilliant song is a brilliant song, and I think the production works beautifully.

[video=youtube;onCpEJDfyg0]

The Flat Earth is a brilliant album, and it still sounds incredible to me... all the glitz and polish of 80s production, but perfectly organic to the music and balanced with warmth, space and incredible stereo imaging.

Excellent album no doubt.

• Moderators

Also Trevor Horn was amazing. I don't like everything he's done, but Frankie's "Relax" and Grace Jones' "Slave To The Rhythm" were masterful, production wise - very 80s, but I can still listen to either and appreciate the craftsmanship, and the HUGE sounding mixes.

• Members
Also Trevor Horn was amazing. I don't like everything he's done' date=' but Frankie's "Relax" and Grace Jones' "Slave To The Rhythm" were masterful, production wise - very 80s, but I can still listen to either and appreciate the craftsmanship, and the HUGE sounding mixes. [/quote']

I did love me some "Relax." And Falco!

• Members

And coming back around to the prog thing, “Owner of a Lonely Heart” blew my mind first time I heard it.

Really? It was ok, but I never thought that record lived up to their '70s stuff, most of it anyway. I was kind of a Steve Howe loyalist though. I do remember the issue of Guitar that was transcribed in.

• Members
Of course, Ozric Tentacles started out in the 80s, and I love the sh*t out of ANYTHING Ozric Tentacles :lol:

[video=youtube;4f52hgmPAbw]

That was completely off my radar, but with a little editing it would have made a great soundtrack for an '80s training montage. :lol:

• Members

Really? It was ok, but I never thought that record lived up to their '70s stuff, most of it anyway. I was kind of a Steve Howe loyalist though. I do remember the issue of Guitar that was transcribed in.

I never bothered to compare it to their earlier stuff, of which I was never much of a fan of anyway.

It sounded like nothing I had ever heard before. First time I had ever heard samples used like that.

• Moderators

I never liked any Yes, tbh, and thought *at the time* it was better than anything they'd done since Bruford left, but for me it REALLY does not hold up today. Its more like Trevor Horn's shark-jumping moment :lol:

Archived