Help Me Decide What CD To Buy Next

phaeton

• Members

I would have made this a poll, but you can only have up to 10 selections. As you can see, my problem is bigger than that: :(

So should I select, for my next CD purchase:

As you can see i'm open for suggestion, but I thought I'd list the things I've been eyeing to give y'all some guidelines. In a perfect world, I'd just buy them all, but I have limited funds at hand this time around.

Thanks to everyone :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by phaeton

21) Something Vanilla Fudge

My buddy keeps telling me to check some of their {censored} out.

23) Megadeth: Remastered Killing's My Business and Business Is Good

Remastered or not, this album sucks.
:D

24) Motorhead: Ace Of Spades

Can't go wrong there.

I think you should consider some EW&F. :D

• Moderators

6) Deep Purple- Machine Head

This is such a great album. Every player is in top form here. Ian Paice will blow your mind on drums! Blackmore... he had such taste and tone, kind of darkish like a cello or viola. Jon Lord started a revolution with his overdriven Marshall / Leslie. Roger Glover's Ric bass tone has nothing in common with Squire. This is ROCK bass! Ian Gillian is the perfect Rock Star to round out an awesome album.

Front to back, a classic.

• Members

Of the Deep Purple albums, Machine Head is definitely the essential. I don't think you can overlook In Rock, and I would rank Fireball (and for that matter, Burn) ahead of Stormbringer.

If you want Rainbow, I would recommend the first album (Blackmore's Rainbow) to start with.

26) Something else based upon my selections above

If you don't have it already, Free: Fire and Water is pretty essential IMO. Paul Kossoff is under-rated, and Andy Fraser did some really melodic stuff on bass that was cutting edge if not ahead of its time.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Billster

If you don't have it already, Free:
Fire and Water
is pretty essential IMO. Paul Kossoff is under-rated, and Andy Fraser did some really melodic stuff on bass that was cutting edge if not ahead of its time.

Yeah, the Free album is a good call. Bad Company's 1st one Bad Co. is a goody too. Nice, sludgy, Brit Rock feel to it.

• Members

Offhand, I think I'd vote for FM's Bare Trees, Future Games, or maybe the first Moby Grape album. (Grape Jam is... I dunno... a lot of folks feel like it killed the band. My take is fans only.)

But I will give high props to Paul Kossoff... I'm not a Paul Rogers or Paul-Rogers-clone fan, but Kossoff's guitar playing is pretty wonderful... although I think I'd lean more toward the less familiar Backstreet Crawler stuff rather than the somewhat more exposed Free catalog.

• Members

I think I'll retract the Motorhead comment and/or just add that there is quite a few MH albums you could do well with.

MH live is the ultimate. 6 songs on the second stage at Ozzfest and it's one of the best shows I've seen. And that's saying a lot. I don't really care for outside concerts, I prefer inside in as small as a club as you can get. Preferably somebody's basement, or a bar in a town that doesn't show up on GPS. :D

I usually attend festivals for the 'festival" part, ya know?

• Members

And I have gotten to the point where Amazon is quite the resource. You can usually find out just about anything you need to know researching some jams and the majority of in print stuff has samples. And I use them a lot! I have spent a lot of time just browsing Amazon. Every page ends up having a zillion links. I just keep adding stuff to my wish list. It's agood way to keep track of what I'm currently needing. Yes, need! :D

And the reviews are usually pretty helpful after you read 40 different people's review of the same album.

Plus, they have all of those lists by members suggesting various titles that follow some central theme.

I've got a nice list of stuff that I ordered and a lot of I decided on using Amazon.

Items Ordered Price

1 of: Head Hunters [ORIGINAL RECORDING REISSUED] [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED] [Audio CD]

By: Herbie Hancock

$7.97

- 1 item(s) Gift options: None

1 of: Sun Goddess [Audio CD]

By: Ramsey Lewis

$9.98

1 of: Blue Break Beats, Vol. 2 [Audio CD]

By: Various Artists

$11.98

1 of: Anthology [iMPORT] [Audio CD]

By: Charles Earland

$27.99

1 of: Thrust [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED] [Audio CD]

By: Herbie Hancock

$10.99

1 of: Funk Fantastique [Audio CD]

By: Charles Earland

$14.98

1 of: Sunburst [ORIGINAL RECORDING REISSUED] [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED] [Audio CD]

By: Eddie Henderson

$11.98

1 of: Legends of Acid Jazz [Audio CD]

By: Rusty Bryant

$18.98

I was turned on to Charles Earland by Fritz (see my sig). The rest of it was greatly helped by research on Amazon.

No, I don't work for them. :D

Number one wish for Amazon:

Make it possible for people to submit a demand request for the out of print titles. Amazon could use there clout and peopel's input to help labels determine what needs to be available.

• Members

What's your problem? Buy 'em all!

Originally posted by blue2blue

or maybe the first Moby Grape album. (Grape Jam is... I dunno... a lot of folks feel like it killed the band. My take is fans only.)

Grape Jam was an "extra" LP that went along with their 2nd album (Wow).

Moby Grape '69 has the great Skip Spence song "Seeing".

The first It's A Beautiful Day has some great songs on it including the moody Bombay Calling and Bulgaria.

If you're looking for more quintessential 60's songwriting, you'd better check out Love with Arthur Lee.

• Members

Originally posted by boosh

This remark actually started me thinking of changing our bandname into "Greatest Hits"

Hey, I once auditioned for a band called "Live Jukebox" :(

Originally posted by daklander

Ahnuddah vote for Moby Grape 69. I believe it's their best.

My man! :thu:

• Members

If you're going for Deep Purple, get the "live" album Made In Japan when they were at their absolute peak in performing.

I'm a MAJOR DP fan and this is my desert island disc if I had to have only one DP album. The version of Highway Star on this album blows away the studio version. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by 60hurts

What's your problem? Buy 'em all!

Grape Jam was an "extra" LP that went along with their 2nd album (Wow).

Moby Grape '69 has the great Skip Spence song "Seeing".

The first It's A Beautiful Day has some great songs on it including the moody Bombay Calling and Bulgaria.

If you're looking for more quintessential 60's songwriting, you'd better check out Love with Arthur Lee.

I defer to not only your deeper knowledge but your deeper wisdom: Arthur Lee and Love were pretty unique. They could be both pretty and scary at the same time. Their most remembered song (Little Red Book) is a great one, for sure, but it's far from representative of most of their work, which was considerably more nuanced and multilayered. (That said, I think the lyrics in LRB are pretty great... an excellent meld of irony and attitude and great riffing.)

• Members

Hey phaeton, here's my vote:

The Rolling Stones, "Exile On Main Street." In my humble opinion, it's one of the greatest rock albums of all time. :thu:

I've been thinking about getting Deep Purple's "Machine Head" on CD too. I've got it on LP, but I rarely play my LPs anymore

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

I defer to not only your deeper knowledge but your deeper wisdom: Arthur Lee and Love were pretty unique. They could be both pretty and scary at the same time. Their most remembered song (Little Red Book) is a great one, for sure, but it's far from representative of most of their work, which was considerably more nuanced and multilayered. (That said, I think the lyrics in LRB are pretty great... an excellent meld of irony and attitude and great riffing.)

Well, I'll have to use my deeper knowledge on ya again, pardner :D .

Love did a great "version" of LRB. The song was written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David!

My apologies if you already knew this. ;)

It's a great song, but in my opinion, Arthur Lee wrote many songs just as good if not better than that sweet gem. :thu:

• Members

How about something newer?

Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise

the Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink robots

the Flaming Lips - the Soft Bulletin

Wilco - A Ghost is Born

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Radiohead - Kid A

Grandaddy- the Sophtware Slump

Beck - Sea Change

Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

the Drive By Truckers - the Dirty South

M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us

M83 - Dead Cities, Read Seas and Lost Ghosts

Son Volt - Straightaways

Air - Moon Safari

Sparklehorse - It's a wonderful Life

Mercury Rev - Deserters Songs

Those should get you in the right direction ;)

• Members

From what you listed, there is no question that you should get deep Purple "Machine Head" first. If you really like it, get the double CD with the remasters and the remixes.

Do yourself a favor and buy from Djangos - you can trust them. I have ordered from them at least 10 times with no probs and fast shipping.

At Djangos, you can have Machine Head new for $9.34 or used for $6.99. You can have the 2 CD Machine Head for $15.58 new or $14.58 used. Check it out here:

http://www.djangomusic.com/artist_music.asp?dt=&pid=P+++++4061&cid=&sid=&mediatype=&sort=&pdir=o&ppos=3

Archived