Heard it Through the Grapevine

Ain't To Pound to Beg

Smiling Faces Sometimes

Pride and Joy

Get Ready

You're My Everything

Too Busy Thinkin' Bout My Baby

I Can't Get Next To You

Sort of like the Lennon and McCartney of Motown. He was the pen behind some of my favorite music of all time.

• Members

Just My Imagination

War

Papa Was a Rolling Stone

Ball of Confusion

Heard it Through the Grapevine

Ain't To Pound to Beg

Smiling Faces Sometimes

Pride and Joy

Get Ready

You're My Everything

Too Busy Thinkin' Bout My Baby

I Can't Get Next To You

Sort of like the Lennon and McCartney of Motown. He was the pen behind some of my favorite music of all time.

Some great, great tunes.

RIP Mr Whitfield.

• Members

Man how often is it that the morning prime time FOX News reports the death of a songwriter ???

About as often as your economy officially enters complete and total meltdown and Sarah Palin says war with Russia is on the table and John McCain tells his own team to go {censored} themselves as he storms out of a hearing calling a female senator a bitch and a {censored}ing whore. Etc.

Unless Bill O'Reilly get caught in another creepy sex scandal things should be back to full distortion soon. :thu:

• Members

You've lost me a little, cooter-- What significance did the 3rd of September have for Dennis Edwards?

Sorry - I thought that was a well-known bit of trivia from this song.

From Wikipedia:

Friction arose during the recording of "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" for a number of reasons. The Temptations didn't like the fact that Whitfield's instrumentation had been getting more emphasis than their vocals on their songs at the time, and that they had to press Whitfield to get him to produce ballads for the group. In addition, Dennis Edwards was angered by the song's first verse: "It was the
3rd of September
/That day I'll always remember/'cause that was the day/that my daddy died". Edwards' father had died on that date, and although the song wasn't originally written for the Temptations, Edwards was convinced that Whitfield assigning him the line was intentional. Although Whitfield denied the accusation, he used it to his advantage: he made Edwards record the disputed line over and over again until Whitfield finally got the angered, bitter grumble he desired out of the usually fiery-toned Edwards (it was, however, one of the reasons Whitfield was eventually fired as the group's producer).

• Members

Music Calgary ... you're w a y off :facepalm:

Norman Whitfield was a wonderful songwriter, of legendary status. I got a chance to meet him several times as I had another Motown songwriter client that introduced me to him in 1991, also worked with his son a few times. Probably a few other LA forumites knew him too.

Russ

Nashville

Archived