AD/DA Convertors: Your Experiences

• Members

I`m starting production in earnest for my next record in January `09 and I`ve been seriously considering ways to upgrade my sound. Instead of buying more mics and pres, I figured what I have is already fine by me but maybe the Apogee convertor would really elevate my sound. Right now, my interface is a MOTU 2408 MKII which is almost 10 years old.

Have any of you had experiences with the Apogee stuff?

From what I have read, coming from a middle of the road interface, the sound would vastly improve. Your thoughts?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • CMS Author

Apogee started out pretty good and has been getting better over the years, but the whole field has been improving substantially over what could be made ten years ago. Buying an Appogee is kind of like buying a Toyota - it's as good as it needs to be for all but the most critical applications and nobody will object to using one, But there are other options today that you should explore freely. RME makes good stuff, as does Lynx, and even Lavry and Benchmark is making some more affordable hardware that doesn't compromise the sound for price.

• Members

I don't know how it compares to other things, but I have been using an Apogee Rosetta 800 for several years, and am very very happy with how it sounds, both on the front and back (monitoring) end. Not that this is even a fair comparison, but the difference between this and the stock converters in the Digi001 was a revelation, and easily one of the most obvious upgrades to my sound I've done since switching to recording on a computer.

• Members

The UA 2192 is one choice. The B2 Bomber is another in the stereo realm, with really high end analog components and a warm sound.

Another thing to look at is the API A2D at $1700. You get both two API pre-amps (of the same exact sort as the 3124, which would cost almost that much by themselves), plus a really good stereo A/D converter. You'll still need something to drive the monitors, but if you already have an audio card of some sort, you can use that to pull in the S/PDIF from the A2D and use its D/A converters to drive the monitors, without any need for sync or anything.

So it's a quite good deal it would seem to me. The converters get good reviews and are practically free given the two pre-amps in the same box.

• Members

I moved from a MOTU 828 MKII to an Apogee Ensemble. The difference in the resulting recordings was dramatic. For what you have right now, the Ensemble is probably the best and closest replacement if you want Apogee. However, the Ensemble has no MIDI, so if you need MIDI hardware, you'll need some other hardware to do that.

I would agree with Mike Rivers that there are now several good alternatives to the Apogee in a similar price range.

If it were me though, I'd suggest looking into a Yamaha 01V96VCM digital mixer. They now include a nice bundle of really fine effects. They are more money, but not that much more money than an Ensemble. You'll need to buy a MY16-mLAN card to interface it with your computer, or else keep your MOTU and use the mixer's ADAT I/O to interface to your MOTU which interfaces to your computer.

• Members

I think often when it comes to converters people often look at the wrong end of the horse first. What I mean by that is that the inclination is to go out and buy really good AD when (imho) good DA and speakers should always come first.

Honestly, how can you evaluate what you're upgrading without the best DA and speakers you can afford? Or how can you hear the great AD if your DA and speakers are weak? Get a really good DA and a good pair of active monitors and then evaluate your AD. I tell you, hooking up a Lavry Black and bypassing the MOTU DA was like lifting a veil off of my sound. Even the MOTU AD sounded a little more clear... since I could actually hear it better.

I did also get a stereo Lavry blue later but I also still use the MOTU AD and Behringer ADA8000 AD. The monitoring chain is more important than any of them if you ask me. Sometimes "upgrading your sound" means "hearing everything better". ;)

MOTU AES to Lavry Black directly to BM5a's with good quality shielded cables ... clear as a bell.

My .02 ...

• Members

I think often when it comes to converters people often look at the wrong end of the horse first. What I mean by that is that the inclination is to go out and buy really good AD when (imho) good DA and speakers should always come first.

Honestly, how can you evaluate what you're upgrading without the best DA and speakers you can afford? Or how can you hear the great AD if your DA and speakers are weak? Get a really good DA and a good pair of active monitors and then evaluate your AD. I tell you, hooking up a Lavry Black and bypassing the MOTU DA was like lifting a veil off of my sound. Even the MOTU AD sounded a little more clear... since I could actually hear it better.

I did also get a stereo Lavry blue later but I also still use the MOTU AD and Behringer ADA8000 AD. The monitoring chain is more important than any of them if you ask me. Sometimes "upgrading your sound" means "hearing everything better".
;)

MOTU AES to Lavry Black directly to BM5a's with good quality shielded cables ... clear as a bell.

My .02 ...

I hear ya, thats why I said I was looking for an AD/DA.

• Members

Or as I mentioned, get an Apogee Rosetta 800 and get both the back end and the front end. Eight ins, eight outs. If there's something better for 8 ins and 8 outs for $2100 new, I'd love to hear it.

Ken, Thats the piece that most interests me and yes, if there is something better, please pass along the info. Thanks.

• Members

Yes. I can't think of another converter that has the same features that is better for somewhere close to the same price. And having eight outs is wonderful...you get decent analog and digital conversion so you can use analog outboard gear, something I like doing.

Hey Ken,

I`m starting around January with my new record so I still have time but the Rosetta 800 looks like the way to go. Like you, I love using my analog outboard gear so the 8 i/os will come in handy with drums!

EB

• Members

I've never slept with Betty Bennett, so you can probably trust my testimony a little more when I say that I'm very happy with the conversion. ;)

The only thing I'll say that I wish they'd fix is that the interface for switching between sources is a bit of a headscratcher for me. It just doesn't seem clear to me. It took me a while to figure out the proper routing for the unit. Also, I had this one instance where a cable from my patchbay fell against one of the buttons, changing the choice of sources. It took me over an hour to figure out what had happened, and then when I did figure out what happened, it took me a little while to figure out how to correct it. I now have white paper tape on the top with the routing selections so this doesn't happen again.

• Members

Hey Ken,

I`m starting around January with my new record so I still have time but the Rosetta 800 looks like the way to go. Like you, I love using my analog outboard gear so the 8 i/os will come in handy with drums!

EB

I'm sure you know already, but the Rosetta needs to be paired with high quality preamps. If you use your MOTU for the preamps, you probably are NOT going to be satisfied with the results.

Also, the Rosetta requires a separate computer interface unless you have one that can take the ADAT I/O directly.

Another issue with the Rosetta is that it's Analog I/O is via DB25 connectors. Interfacing with DB25 requires a special connector for use with most preamps.

Bottom line, when you add it all up, a system built around the Rosetta can still be cost effective when you think about it on a cost per channel basis. Nevertheless, a whole system built this way will cost you some coin.

• Members

I'm sure you know already, but the Rosetta needs to be paired with high quality preamps. If you use your MOTU for the preamps, you probably are NOT going to be satisfied with the results.

Also, the Rosetta requires a separate computer interface unless you have one that can take the ADAT I/O directly.

Another issue with the Rosetta is that it's Analog I/O is via DB25 connectors. Interfacing with DB25 requires a special connector for use with most preamps.

Bottom line, when you add it all up, a system built around the Rosetta can still be cost effective when you think about it on a cost per channel basis. Nevertheless, a whole system built this way will cost you some coin.

That's right. The Rosetta 800 has a firewire option, but if memory serves, it's really expensive, something like $500. I use the ADAT option with my Digi001, so thankfully I didn't need the firewire option.

The db25 connector or whatever it's called is indeed a special connector and works great. I believe this is the one, and it's $90. I thought I spent $65 on mine, but I could be wrong.

Archived