AD/DA Convertors: Your Experiences

• Members

Anyone using the UA2192 that Bruce mentioned? At $3000, they better sound good! Seriously, I may have to look into this one as well. Granted thats for two channels as well.

That's expensive, so it better sound great.

With two channels, as i mentioned, you have far more choices/options.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, its pricey but consider what you`re getting. I was reading some reviews on the 2192 and also watched the video on the UA site, I`m very impressed.See It Here

Also, whats the point of upgrading on mics and pres if you`re really not going to hear their true character?

At this stage in my productions, I`m not really looking to expand my studio but if I can upgrade my sound with a top notch convertor, this may be the way to go. Of course, I still have till January to decide but at this point the 2192 is in 1st. The Rosetta 200 or 800 are in 2nd.

• Members

Oh, I completely agree!!! You should get the best thing that you can. I don't know whether there are other things that are comparable in that price class, whether there's something like a Lavry or some other converter that may give it a run for its money. I think converters are extremely important.

At this stage in my productions, I`m not really looking to expand my studio but if I can upgrade my sound with a top notch convertor, this may be the way to go. Of course, I still have till January to decide but at this point the 2192 is in 1st. The Rosetta 200 or 800 are in 2nd.

I needed the eight ins and outs, so the Rosetta was the logical choice for me. But I'm sure there are comparable and better converters out there. I'd be interested to hear someone comparing the Rosetta 200, your second choice, to the UA or some other high-end two-channel converter.

• Members

Ken-

Right now it seems that the only unit competing with the 2192 is something called the B2 by Burl. This unit only does AD conversion (so its not really the same thing) but its getting exquisite reviews for what it does!

Check it out: B2

Again, considering my setup, my future plans and my budget, the 2192 may be the best option at this time. I`m also excited about the 6 WC outputs on the 2192. How handy is that? No need to daisy chain.

• Members

Hey Ken,

I`m starting around January with my new record so I still have time but the Rosetta 800 looks like the way to go. Like you, I love using my analog outboard gear so the 8 i/os will come in handy with drums!

EB

Ernest, i listened to your stuff, You are getting great sound already don't waste your money on converters, the improvement will be minimal. Buy an old tape machine or something to run stuff through, i also would suggest looking into some better drum recording options as that area sounds a little weak relative to the rest of the mixes. I have gone through all this too and i went way in the wrong order, you will be more satisfied stepping up elsewhere i think.

• Members

Ernest, i listened to your stuff, You are getting great sound already don't waste your money on converters, the improvement will be minimal. Buy an old tape machine or something to run stuff through, i also would suggest looking into some better drum recording options as that area sounds a little weak relative to the rest of the mixes. I have gone through all this too and i went way in the wrong order, you will be more satisfied stepping up elsewhere i think.

Halljams,

I`m just curious... what tracks did you listen to? Where? I agree with your drum observation. That was a room issue that I`m addressing first... not recording drums in that room anymore.

Thanks,

EB

• Members

Right now it seems that the only unit competing with the 2192 is something called the B2 by Burl. This unit only does AD conversion (so its not really the same thing) but its getting exquisite reviews for what it does!

Check it out: B2

Yeh, I mentioned the B2 above. Keep in mind that, you will have to have some card in the system that accepts the digital outputs. If that card also has D/A, you could use that in the immediate term to drive your speakers. For instance, I have an RME card. If I got something like the API A2D or Burl, I could use it to accept the S/PDIF signal, but continue to use it's D/A to drive the speakers until I had the bucks to get something better for that half.

• Members

Yeh, I mentioned the B2 above. Keep in mind that, you will have to have some card in the system that accepts the digital outputs. If that card also has D/A, you could use that in the immediate term to drive your speakers. For instance, I have an RME card. If I got something like the API A2D or Burl, I could use it to accept the S/PDIF signal, but continue to use it's D/A to drive the speakers until I had the bucks to get something better for that half.

Hey Dean,

Sorry, you did mention the B2!

After some more research, the 2192 offers so much more than the B2 and the Apogees. Granted the Rosetta 800 has more I/Os but again, for my scenario, the UA looks sweet.

• Members

Someone on Gearslutz posted some WAV samples where he compares the FF800 and the 2192 with the same inputs. It's hard to say how completely fair the comparison was, and he's not saying which is which yet, but one of them certainly sounds considerably better, and you can watch for the final answer to be revealed.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/339539-ua2192-ff800-samples.html#post3619439

• Members

every male who prefers brunettes over blondes is considered a pervert here in Italy !!!

Guess I won't be going to Italy. Hair color isn't a big deal in the long run, but my initial attraction is to hair is in this order:

1) Dark hair

2) Red hair

3) Blonde

It

Archived