AD/DA Convertors: Your Experiences

• Members

This is what I`m thinking... I have Avalon 737s pre amps that I use for vocals, acoustic guitars and as a bass DI. I would run the Avalon outs to the Rosetta via the db25 and then use the lightpipes out into my MOTU 2408 MKII. Thats the plan. Will it work?

Like I said, I still have a good 3 months before I start but I want to get my ducks lined up. This is not a quick purchase. If I`m going to spend $2500 for one piece of gear, it has to be up to snuff and something that I will be using for some time to come. I think considering my setup, a top of the line AD DA convertor is the bridge to get me to the next level.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is what I`m thinking... I have Avalon 737s pre amps that I use for vocals, acoustic guitars and as a bass DI. I would run the Avalon outs to the Rosetta via the db25 and then use the lightpipes out into my MOTU 2408 MKII. Thats the plan. Will it work?

Like I said, I still have a good 3 months before I start but I want to get my ducks lined up. This is not a quick purchase. If I`m going to spend $2500 for one piece of gear, it has to be up to snuff and something that I will be using for some time to come. I think considering my setup, a top of the line AD DA convertor is the bridge to get me to the next level.

That should work great. How many channels do you actually need? If you only have 2 channels, I'd suggest the Rosetta 200 instead. It's only 2 channels, and is much cheaper. It also uses standard XLR analog I/O, meaning you get standard and robust connections between your preamps and the the Rosetta.

By the way, Sam Ash has Rosetta 800 for $2695. If you can get it for only $2100, that sounds like a great deal! The Rosetta 200 is $1795 on the same site. Clearly, on a per channel basis, the Rosetta 800 is a much better bang for the buck.

• Members

The Rosetta 800 is a better bang, thats why I`m shooting for that one. In the long run, it will serve me better as I expand. I`ll be running everything through the Rosetta so 8 I/Os is going to be in use when I do drums which usually are recorded with bass. Two OHs, k, s, toms and one room mic (severely compressed) and bass... thats 8!

• Members

That story about Bob Cleamountain has been circulating on the internet for several years now and it has nothing to do with whether Apogee converters sound good or not.

Right. It has nothing to do with whether Apogee converters sound good or not. But the purpose of a product endorsement is to extol the virtue of the product. If the endorser is sleeping with the CEO of the company then that calls into question their motives.

Honestly I haven

• Members

I don't have a Big Ben. I don't know how much it would help me since the Rosetta 800 has a decent clock.

The 200 is a good choice if you just need two channels of input. I'm assuming it has D/A as well? With two-channel units, there's seems to be more comparable units to choose from.

• CMS Author

Hey Ken,

Do you have a Big Ben? I wasn`t planning on getting one. Will this damage my sound?

I studied this out a bit. I can't say that this is the definitive conclusion, but I can tell you that if you know enough about the time constants and slopes of the filters in the phase locked loop of the data clock (in the converter) you can improve the sound of a converter by feeding it with a reference clock signal with the properly shaped noise. This is what Apogee does with the Big Ben (as well as the internal clock in its newer high end converters). So the Big Ben can improve the sound of certain converters (more Apogee than others). It, and any other external word clock, can degrade the sound of a poorly designed converter, but may not improve the sound of a well designed converter.

The most important thing that a Big Ben can do for you is synchronize digital devices that are passing audio data among them in a system. It's the best way to synchronize a digital recorder, digital console, digital I/O, and digital effects. But simply connecting a Big Ben to your A/D converter and plugging that into your computer probably won't change anything noticeably.

In other words, only buy a Big Ben (or any other multi-output word clock generator) unless you need to synchronize word clocks in several devices in your system.

• Members

Hi Mike,

Thanks for making quantum physics sound easy. Yes, I was actually thinking I didn`t need it just from having gone ITB and my mtp av is simply acting as a midi interface at this point. I remember when I had my previous setup with ADATs, a d8b and other digital devices, I needed it to tell everything what to do! So thanks for the explanation.

My next question is: do I need one of those Apogee cards or can I go out from the Rosetta 200 via lightpipe into the 2408 MKII?

• Members

A converter should convert, and my experience is that an A/D followed by a D/A followed by an A/D followed by a D/A... 300 pair of /AD plus D/A in series, should idealy do nothing to the sound, yielding the same signal as if nothing happened. If the converter you tested does not get very close to those specs, look for another model, or ask what models come closest to this specs.

• Members

every male who prefers brunettes over blondes is considered a pervert here in Italy !!!

Then I`m a pervert all the way. Every woman I have ever fallen head over heels for has been a brunette. Can`t explain it.

Brown hair, brown eyes, olive skin.... I have to take a shower, cold one at that.

Archived