Generic Name for a Device?

MikeRivers

• CMS Author

Is there an accepted generic name or term that covers things like iPads, iPhones, or iPods that aren't necessarily Apple products? I've used "iGadget" when, for instance, I'm talking about the platform for a software app that will run on any of them, but what about Androids and their derivatives, and anything else?

An example is if I want to write "This could be controlled by an iPad," when there's an Android version of the controller app as well. That would come out in the details, but I'm looking for a term that I can use in a forum post, or in a descriptive summary.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MikeRivers View Post
Is there an accepted generic name or term that covers things like iPads, iPhones, or iPods that aren't necessarily Apple products? I've used "iGadget" when, for instance, I'm talking about the platform for a software app that will run on any of them, but what about Androids and their derivatives, and anything else?

An example is if I want to write "This could be controlled by an iPad," when there's an Android version of the controller app as well. That would come out in the details, but I'm looking for a term that I can use in a forum post, or in a descriptive summary.
I don't think there's a generic term that covers all of them. A non-Apple touchscreen device is a tablet, a non-Apple iPhone is simply a cell phone or a smartphone (nearly all cellphones today have the same touchscreen form factor) and a non-Apple iPod is a digital music player or an MP3 player. The only thing that ties them together in the Apple realm is the IOS operating system. You have tablets and smartphones run on Android, but no digital music players.

• Members
I've heard the term "mobile device" but heck, at least most of the time my car is a mobile device.
This unfortunately IS the term your trying to find as per a "Generic" Label. Example:

" I am developing an App for a "Window's Mobile Device""

I don't think any one would confuse that with your car however it is a rather bland description.boring.gif

• Members
I've heard the term "mobile device" but heck, at least most of the time my car is a mobile device.
I wouldn't get too hung up, heck a horse-drawn buggy is a car (actually originally I think the word referred to chariots anywy)

and an airplane is an automobile

think about how many things are actually computers eek.gif even people! (it was used that way before electronic computers)

so we could stop using those too wink.gif

• CMS Author
Quote Originally Posted by Gus Lozada View Post
I use "iDevices" or simply "iOS Devices"
What do you suppose Mr. Google (Android) would say when accused of having an iOS? I have no problem with "iDevice" when I'm talking about something that's for Apple only, but I'm looking for a generic term here.

I realize that if you don't have an iDevice you might as well crawl back under your rock. I feel left out myself much of the time.

• CMS Author

Quote Originally Posted by philbo

View Post

Hmmm.... How about iJunk? It'll all be in a landfill in 3 years anyway...

Agree with the junk, but I'm trying to avoid the "i" when it doesn't have to be an Apple device. But I suspect that it's already been attached, like now that every sort of political scandal seems to be some sort of a "gate."

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight

View Post

Isn't that a car?

Have you ever called your car a mobile device? It could be described that way, but I don't think anyone today would think you were referring to a car when you say "Mobile Device".

• Members
iGadget, mobile device, electronic devices, Smart devices, Mobile touchscreen devices, Portable touchscreen devices, tablet devices, iThingie, iDevices, iOS Devices, iJunk

Being a "Groupthink"(at least accused of being) Forum what have we decided the term is(I've emphasized my preference).confused.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gus Lozada View Post
I use "iDevices" or simply "iOS Devices"
I like the term, iOS [and Android, of course] devices.

Because, among iPods, only the iPod Touch can run iOS apps and such, so iDevices or iGadgets might well be misapplied, depending.

The reason Mike needs a specific term is that he writes usage documentation and the like. So he needs to be able to refer to highly specific subsets of mobile gadgets, I'm thinking.

• CMS Author

Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue

View Post

The reason Mike needs a specific term is that he writes usage documentation and the like. So he needs to be able to refer to highly specific subsets of mobile gadgets, I'm thinking.

Yes, that's what I was thinking about. "iOS and Android devices" isn't too bad, but I wanted to avoid an awkward list, particularly when it's repeated a few times in the article. I suppose I could write "iOS and Android devices, hereafter referred to as iJunk for brevity." wink.gif

• Members

sounds like "mobile device" or "mobile computing device" is about what you want, but CTS brings up some alternatives.

Personally, I'd stay away from the OS specifics -- I mean there's Win 8 RT now, Windows phone, all the proprietary stuff like from RIM and Samsung....and it could get more complex as these devices proliferate

Then you've got the trademark issue where you have the overhead of disclaiming which just complicates things

here's the wikipedia entry on Mobile Device (not that it's some big overarching authority, but it does speak to popular conception which is what you are aiming at)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_device

I'm probably an outlier, but I started with Diamond Rio for DAP (PMP these days), DAP was what I think they used in the court documents...so players were never "i" anything for me since the language solidified before that Johnny come lately

Archived