Swollen soundboard Please help, guitar is not ok, suggest plz

Aebi

• Members

Hi to all.

I'm from Lahore Punjab pakistan.

Respected friends, I've a yamaha f340 4 years old.

I bought it from an unknown person.

I didn't know about humidity.

Now i do notice that tha body of guitar is swollen and frets are also seollen at g string that's why it's so difficult to play barcodes I'm so worried because it's only guitar that i have and i can't afford any other,

Someone told me that i should use linseed oil for fretboard because this guitar is too much old and it's frets are dry as it not maintained. And one thing more that bridge is little pulled up.

But what should i do for soundboard?

Should i loosen the strings?

I can't afford any dehumidifier.

humidity level is between 70 to 95 outside.

I do not have a hygrometer so i don't know about inside level. I think inside level is about 50 or 60.

Tell me the cheapest way please.

I'll be very thankful to all of you.

If someone can contact me on whatsapp so it's much better for me. Give me ur whatsapp plz.

Love u all

df398f211fcde444e905b588aeb5d8f4.jpg.7435e84982587b35e732bbb765a36c06.jpg

• Members

You can use Lemon Oil or linseed oil very, very sparingly. One drop will go a long way, at least three frets wide.

Your F430 isd made of laminated wood, this is possibly the best material that you can get and that you can afford for conditions like you have.

For a more detailed analysis, we need some detailed pictures of the area affected.

• Members

Aebi, first welcome to the forum. Second, the main symptoms of an overly humidified guitar area exactly what you describe, here is a very good article on humidity

http://www.larrivee.com/pdfs/Larrive...aintenance.pdf

The fix it to get it into an environment of 40 to 45 percent RH for a long period of time so it can gradually dry out. You might try putting some desiccant packs inside the guitar while it dries out. If there is structural damage like braces or the bridge coming unglued you will have to have that fixed, the bridge should be removed by someone who knows what they are doing and reglued to the top.

I wouldn't worry about the fretboard but a drop or two of lemon oil won't hurt it any.

• Members

Thank you friends.

May i use hair dryer or any other thing to dry it in short time periods?

Because i Don't have any other guitar

For how long I've ti kept it with sillicon gel or any other? And how much sillicon gel packs should i use?

• Members

If you have no way of maintaining a consistent 40-60%RH then no, I wouldn't advise using a hairdryer. The materials need to adjust slowly over the course of several days. That would probably cause more harm than good. If you have a hard shell case, then just keep the guitar with several of those silicate crystal packets in it when not in use. If not, keeping the guitar in a plastic bag might do.

• Members

Normally this time of the year I see dry guitars in my shop with sunken tops and cracks. However the other day I had one that had been totally over humidified, there was some talk that it had been kept in a laundry room but I never got a clear answer (I joked that maybe it had been played in the hot tub). Anyway, many of the symptoms you described - top badly bellied, neck angle very high, but fortunately no loose braces or bridge.

I put seven of the little silicon desiccant packs like you find in shipping packages inside the guitar and told the owner to keep it out on a stand in his house (this time of the year where I live the RH in most homes is 20% or even less. I told him that when the action got back down to near normal to bring it back and we would do a setup but that might take a month or more.

Don't apply a lot of heat - remember that the way luthiers take things apart (necks, bridges, fretboards) is a combination of heat and moisture. Just put it somewhere where the RH is 40% or below (on a stand if the ambient is below 40, in a case with desiccants if the ambient is above).

After that you will need to deal with the lifting bridge and possible have the frets dressed. Good luck.

• Members

It took 2 weeks for the hump in the fretboard just above the dovetail to contract on one of my guitars. I had over-humidified it with a Planet Waves soundhole humidifier while keeping it in its case. The luthier I took it to hung it in his basement for those two weeks and called me when he thought it had contracted to factory dimensions. His basement was right at 47% RH. That did the trick and it taught me to guard against over-humidification.

• Members

welcome Aebi. Is it possible to get silica gel packs there? I'm throwing this out to forum members more wise than myself: could one improvise packs using salt in loose woven cloth bags? And say every week or two take bags out and hit with hair dryer to get moisture out? I live in Thailand now, and one must improvise quite often. If salt bags work, would keeping guitar in good sized plastic bag cut down on moisture absorption?

If bridge pulling up and no guitar luthiers handy, perhaps competent maker of other stringed instruments (sarods and such) could handle reglue job... when and if top settles down, of course.

• Members

If you want to dry out the guitar and you do not have those tiny silicone bags that come with any kind of good, go to a good pet shop and ask for silica gel based cat litter. It often comes as "crystal" litter. It's basically the same stuff as in the little bags, but comes cheaper by the kg. I use them in coffee filters. Fill them in, fold over and staple shut. Drop into the guitar and use a screeching halt soundhole plug (or tape it shut). Check regularly.

• Members

Friends, Someone told me that keep guitar in the plastic bag then put it in the card box of guitar in which guitar comes its a box of CTN stuff, then keep that box in sunlight for a while.

Is it ok for me or not?

• Members

If it's dryer outside than inside, that can be okay. But keep it in the shade, keep it away from the ground, and don't leave it out overnight.

The main thing is, don't do anything sudden or extreme. For instance, don't use a hair dryer.

Archived