Martin Acoustic SP Custom Lights

bigald18

• Members

Put a set of Martin SP 80/20 Custom Lights on my new Tanglewood TW-73 parlor guitar today and what a difference it made to my ears (maybe not yours). Louder, better tone, better highs and lows than the Elixir that was on there. They were Nanoweb lights but I don't know if they were phosphor bronze or 80/20. Like the Martins much better and the Martins have been laying around for about 3 years in a closed package. I'm sure they won't last as long as Elixirs, but for $4 vs $14 per set for me on Social Security it's a no brainer. Never have been fond of coated strings except for the non-squeakiness of them. LOL Might try Martin Phosphor Bronze (uncoated) next time but not sure. Now if the weather might warm up a little here so my old fingers won't be so cold and stiff maybe my playing might sound better.LOL Cold here for Florida (40's at night, 55 during day). Yanks don't say a word!

BigAl

• Members

Those are really nice strings. They were my go to for several years. I just got sick of how fast they died and the fact that they can change significantly during just one session of playing.

I still prefer the sound of fresh uncoated strings like Martin SP or DR Sunbeams and would definitely use them for recording or a really important gig.

• Members

They're brash for about 20 minutes of playing, which is less than it takes Elixirs to start sounding good. You're right about the Martin SPs sounding like heaven. I prefer them to DR for sheer tonal bliss and have yet to find a D'Addario acoustic string that sounds great by comparison, but they're consistent.

I don't expect more than about 2 maybe 3 performances out of uncoated strings, but yeah, once SPs go they go quick. If I had a guitar tech and a successful music career I'd use Martin strings.

Edit: I use PB not 80/20...

• Members

I am with the majority. I prefer non-coated strings. I used to use Martin's prior to trying Elixir's but when i decided i didn't like them a friend had recommended the D'Addorio PB's and i have used them ever since. I seem to get a lot of wear from them (not like Elixir's) and i love the sound.

Archived