Help picking out a good Acoustic Electric under $500.

rabidcatfan

• Members

Hiya everyone,

Glad to be here. I've been playing guitar off and on since 1995. I was really heavy into it from 1995-2000 and got pretty decent (I worked my way up to a fairly passable rendition of Van Halen's 'Eruption') . I met my future wife and sold my only axe (an old 80's Charvel) and my Marshall to help pay for our wedding, so I was without a guitar for several years. I then decided that the time was right to dive back into the pool. I picked up an Epi Les Paul standard custom at a pawn shop and a cheap amp. The guitar needed a setup badly and the amp was garbage, but it played and I was happy. I got back into playing for a while and then we started having kid after kid and before I knew it, there were 4 kiddoes running around the house, including a baby so the axe had to go into storage for a while. Shortly thereafter (probably around 2009), I ran into a deal I couldn't pass up - a Peavey Wolfgang Special with dark green flame top for $200. I was back in baby and started rolling. Picked up a Peavey Windsor stack and a couple of pedals and was well on my way back to my old metal days. Well, then came baby number 5 and I had to start working extra hours and I had to sell the amp and the guitar went into the closet. It was around this time that my cousin gave me my only acoustic guitar, a Fender Gemini II. He was upgrading and the guitar shop wanted to give him $10 for it so he decided to give it away instead. It was bright enough to play some good classic rock songs, but quiet enough to play around the house even with a sleeping baby. The Gemini II was one of the greatest gifts I have ever received because it ignited something in me I never thought I had - a love for GOOD acoustic music. I began learning everything I could and before I knew it, the Epi LP and the Wolfie have been collecting dust for more than half a decade and the Fender is damn near wore out. I even bought a small 40 watt Fender Mustang II modelling amp a few years ago or so just to try and reignite the electric juices so to speak, but I kept going back to the Gemini II, so I've decided it is time, after playing the Gemini for about 6 years or so, to make my first acoustic guitar purchase ever and move into a decent mid-range guitar. Although I am limited to $500, I'm looking for the best bang for my buck, so I want to go the Acoustic-Electric route. I would love to own a Martin or a Taylor, but neither of those are in my budget. The guitar doesn't have to be solid wood as long as it has a solid top. The Gemini II is mostly laminate but sounds pretty decent all things considered, so I know a laminate guitar can sound great, but I would like a solid top though.

The guitars I've mainly been looking at are:

Epiphone EJ-200SCE - (my top choice as of right now)

Epiphone Hummingbird Pro

Epiphone Inspired by '64 Texan

​Takamine G-Series

Takamine GD71CE

Yamaha FGX720SCA

Just wanted to get an idea of what people thought of these, or others I haven't mentioned in the same price range. Of course, I will end up trying several different ones at Guitar Center before I make my final purchase, but I still want to get opinions from others on what they think of these.

I have not tried any of those specific Epiphone models, although I did try one of their new entry-level instruments last year (Epi Pro 1) and was impressed with how much guitar you can get for not much over $100, so their other models certainly bear checking out. The Yamaha solid-top models seem to be pretty popular around these parts too.

• Members

in this price range also blue ridge and recording king guitars are also worth looking.

love my recording king rd 227 which was a bit above your limit, but with solid top sides and back, altough no pickup system.

mine is a bit a fancy model, with nice inlays and so, but there are little brothers and sisters with not so much decoration but similar wood configuration, which go for below $500

which size of guitar are you looking? jumbo? dreadnought? or smaller?

oh and btw welcome to the forum

• Members

From what you have listed, it has to be the Yammie.

I have rarely seen an Epi that I really, really liked, but that's because they look like Gibsons and I loathe the "Rhinestone Cowboy" look that most Gibbos have.

You might even look for the FG720 or FG730, same guitar but no cutaway and no electronics. Or, if you like a bit sweeter sound the FJX720/730 from Yamaha.I used to have a FG730 (now sold) and I still own a FJX730...

I usually vouch for the Yammies because they deliver a good and constant quality and - important if you come from the hard&heavy 'leccie side - the Yammies can be set up to have an almost shred-like action. Well, at least in terms of acoustic guitars.I do have some 20 acoustic guitars and the Yammie has the lowest action by far.

• Members

The Epiphone that you have noted as your favorite has lots of bling, which means they spent money there and not on what would make it sound better. If you like the "jumbo" body style, Seagull makes a "mini jumbo," specifically the Entourage http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-Walnut-Mini-Jumbo-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-110598687-i3880638.gc and Walnut http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-Walnut-Mini-Jumbo-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-110598687-i3880638.gc. Yamaha makes a jumbo in your price range, the FJX720SC http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-FJX720SC-Solid-Spruce-Top-Mahogany-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-620225-i1467447.gc. Takamine makes a variety of mini jumbos, what they call "NEX" size: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Takamine,Acoustic-Guitar-Guitar,New-Gear,Acoustic-Electric-Yes.gc?extup=300-500&ipp=25. Of all those, I'd lean toward the Yamaha jumbo but any of them would serve you well.

• Members

I have the Epi Texan, as well as an AJ220S. The Texan is nice and has a very nice tone, It also has a kick-ass preamp. The AJ is a real cannon and good tone with clear highs and mids, along with a strong bass. A K&K mimi would round it off nicely for under $ 400.

Mel

• Members

Seagull makes some quality, budget friendly guitars. I own an Entourage Dred in rustic burst finish. Solid cedar top, quality 3 ply wild cherry back and sides, 24.8 scale, silver leaf maple neck with rosewood board. Made in Quebec Canada. It's a nice player and what's fun is I can bring it along wherever because it didn't break the bank.

• Members

Well, after trying out several acoustic-electrics this weekend at GC, I went with the Epiphone EJ-200SCE. I liked the way the Seagulls sounded, but didn't like the feel of them. Same for a couple of the Yamaha's I tried. They sounded good, but felt light and I'm a big guy and I wanted to get a good sized jumbo that fit me. Unfortunately, they didn't have any of the Takamine G-Series guitars in stock that I wanted to look at. I tried and immediately put the Epi Hummingbird Pro down because it sounded terrible to me. I'm not sure if it was just that particular guitar, or what, but it sounded thin and flimsy and didn't care for the finish once I saw it up close - it looked like it was spray painted on to me, but the EJ-200SCE, on the other hand, looked GORGEOUS, and sounded great both plugged and unplugged! The one I bought had a deep bass boom but also had swirly, ringing highs that filled the GC acoustic room up. It was also a huge guitar which is what I wanted. They had a few of them and I tried a natural finish and a sunburst as I had heard the natural finish supposedly sounded better than the others, which is false. In reality, the sunburst finish sounded the best to my ears and I was able to get it at a discount because it was an open box model. So, in all, I was able to pick up my beautiful guitar, a nice hard shell case (this was the hardest part - finding a case to fit this monster into), an amazingly nice, black Franklin leather strap with tooling on it, and a pack of Elixir Nanowebs for $498 and some change, just under my $500 ceiling. I couldn't be more thrilled with my purchase, and the more I play this bad boy the more I love it! I can't hardly put it down.

Whats funny is that I used to think the Gemini II sounded good, but up against the EJ, it sounds hollow and voiceless. Going to pass the Gemini down to my kids to learn on and cherish my new acquisition.

Archived