No announcement yet.

Best Tele under $1000 for Rock

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Tele under $1000 for Rock

Any recommendations for the best Tele under $1000 for Rock, new or used?

I've been reading a lot about the G&L ASAT USA and Fender Baja, but was wondering which was better and if there were better options.

I'd go either Tele Deluxe or Custom. With the Deluxe, you have two humbuckers, but the Custom has a humbucker in the neck and a single coil in the bridge.

I have the Tele Deluxe, which is $799 new, but I got mine in a trade. The previous owner upgraded the saddles to brass, put 500k pots in, and switched out the toggle switch. It rocks, but is great for Jazz, Country, and whatever experimental stuff I put it through.

Comment

Squier J5 Tele is designed for ROCK.
      http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...%5E30425951907
      http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleJ5SQGld

Last edited by peskypesky; 07-05-2014, 11:16 PM.
      The most important part of my religion is to play guitar.
      Lou Reed

Comment

The most important part of my religion is to play guitar.
        Lou Reed

Comment

Buy a Tele that plays well and put BG A3 Rockwind tele set in it. Garanteed results.
          __________________________________________________ ___________________

Yamaholic --- PpP --- Old geezer with a grey beard

Comment

You definitely do not need to spend more than $600 retail to get an excellent playing Tele. For Fender and just about any major brand that makes Tele clones in the $400 to 600 range, you can get a very nice guitar that requires little if any mods to make it suitable for your own use. What will be your deciding factors will be body and neck finish, fretboard material and fretboard radius and probably the pickups.

A decent hardshell case can be had for less than $100. You might want to take your new Tele to a top notch luthier for a total precision setup that would include fret leveling / polishing. That could be close to $200 for a well-known luthier.

Comment

Carvin TL60 won Guitar Player shoot out Best bang for the Buck, Best sounding I ever heard ia a G&L .

Comment

50's & 60's Series

I have the 60's Series and even with stock pick ups - they flat out ROCK

Gibson SG Faded (w. SD A2P's)
                60's Classic Series Tele (w. Bareknuckle Flatt '50s)
                Ibanez Artcore AG75 (w. TV Jones TV-HT's)
                Gibson LP Jr. Special (w. Phil X PX-100)
                Tokai LS92 (w. SD WLH set)
                Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh
                1966 Bassman / Thunderverb 50 / block letter 5150 / Marshall Class5

Good deals with : Pepperduck, TylerDurden24, iualum, hangwire, friction, Dr.Picklebottom, dmbluesguy, Mr JinX , dhouser3 & The Riffer.

Comment

I've found incredible value in upgrading MIJ Fenders. Some other great Teles I've played - Fender '52 hot rod (probably just over your budget used), G&L ASAT, Hamer T62, Fender MIM Esquire reissue.

Comment

I'd build one, it's a no brainer. Get all of your "exact" specifications and it's a tele, the most simple guitar to put together in the world. I could easily do it, not compromising for under $800.
                    Last edited by billybilly; 07-06-2014, 10:06 PM.
                    MIA Fender Strat / Gibson Les Paul Studio / Custom Telecaster / Washburn WI66 / Custom Stratocaster / Martin D15S / Guild D55 / Simon & Patrick Cedar / Martin HD16R LSH​

Comment

Thanks, guys. I have this G&L ASAT Classic USA Semi-Hollow Telecaster on the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson73 View Post
                        Thanks, guys. I have this G&L ASAT Classic USA Semi-Hollow Telecaster on the way! . . .
                        Gorgeous guitar. Congratulations and Happy (Pending) New Guitar Day. I've thought for years that Teles were butt ugly but I keep seeing ones that make me change my mind. Yours is one of them. philthumb
                        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                        Member of the Schecter Society
                        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Thanks, guys. I have this G&L ASAT Classic USA Semi-Hollow Telecaster on the way!
                          The best stock tele I have every played was a USA G&L ASAT. Nice choice, she's a beauty!
                          MIA Fender Strat / Gibson Les Paul Studio / Custom Telecaster / Washburn WI66 / Custom Stratocaster / Martin D15S / Guild D55 / Simon & Patrick Cedar / Martin HD16R LSH​

Comment

If you have the opportunity, might want to check out some Reverends... other suggestions good, just want to confuse you a bit more!
                            I was kicked out of music class for passing notes...
                            Tuned out, turned in and dropped off

Comment

I always liked the string bar block on the ASATs
                              After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. Aldous Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X