P90 Guitar Update

BryanMichael

• Members

OK, so I ordered one of those CORT's that were shown in the P90 guitar thread and the seller sent the wrong model that had humbuckers in it. :facepalm: So, they quickly issued a return pickup for it from UPS and the guitar is gone. I've asked when they thought an appropriate (correct) replacement might be available and I haven't heard back yet. It's been two weeks since I paid, and at this point I have neither the guitar or the money back, but I know that these things take a little while to sort out and they have called me directly, so no big deal. :idk:

Anyway, while researching "other" less expensive P90 guitar I came across the Michael Kelly Patriot- and I just bought this one USED for a little more than the Cort would have cost me:

475552798_o.jpg

475552515_o.jpg

475552536_o.jpg

It is a Patriot Vintage Satin (satin finish)

All the online reviews have been great for these guitars, does anyone here have any personal experiences with them? Did I choose wisely?

:confused:

I canceled the order for the Cort.

• Members

It was used, so $379+ shipping. I think they go for around $499 new (?) But that satin finish with the faded gold hardware seems to be a rarer combination - they make the same model in a "Antique Violin" color as well, but I think this color looks more like an antique violin!

Here is the site on this model:

http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/patriot_vintage.html#

I haven't really found any negative reviews so far, I was just hoping someone might have some personal playing time with the Patriots and could give me some insight.

I think I liked it so much because it reminds me of an Ibanez "musician" model from the early 80's, even the headstock shape.

230174809278-2.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • Members
I want to buy your guitar bryan michael. can you email me at damianreigns@hotmail.com

I don't believe Bryan Michael has been around here in a long time. He has a couple of other MK solidbody guitars as well -- all keepers, as I believe he described them.

Sorry to support the raising of this thread but I too must admit I think that's the best looking Michael Kelly guitar I've ever seen' date=' it's gorgeous. :love:[/quote']

I've owned a MK P90 Patriot just like the one pictured on Page 1 with the same vintage satin finish, for several years. Yes, it plays every bit a good as it looks.

It's a meticulously built guitar, that I believe I paid $499 for back in 2007, but it seems much more like a $4499 guitar -- as in it can easily compete with a Gibson or a US-made PRS as far as build quality goes. It has a deep tenon set-neck, superb fretwork, superb finish, Tone Pros locking bridge and tailpiece, Grover tuners, a pair of stout Rockfield P90 pickups that I believe are anchored directly to the body like the other higher-end humbucker'd Patriots are.

• Members

The only thing I came across for the Michael Kelly Patriot, is does have a thin neck with a shorter 24 3/4" scale. This may be an issue if you have larger hands and are used to a 25.5" scale neck. Hand strain is common with people who buy undersized necks. Couldn't find any info but I'm guessing the radius is fairly flat too because so many say they can get very low action on them.

It is a nice looking guitar though. I like the satin look.

• Members

I've owned a MK P90 Patriot just like the one pictured on Page 1 with the same vintage satin finish, for several years. Yes, it plays every bit a good as it looks.

It's a meticulously built guitar, that I believe I paid $499 for back in 2007, but it seems much more like a $4499 guitar -- as in it can easily compete with a Gibson or a US-made PRS as far as build quality goes. It has a deep tenon set-neck, superb fretwork, superb finish, Tone Pros locking bridge and tailpiece, Grover tuners, a pair of stout Rockfield P90 pickups that I believe are anchored directly to the body like the other higher-end humbucker'd Patriots are.

Great; what's the name of that finish? It seems darker than the Antique violin satin commonly listed.

• Members

I thought these were all gone a few years back, but, apparently some 2011 (last year made) new-old stock Patriot Vintage P90 models have surfaced and are available at least at one place, allegedly in antique satin finish, though they show the antique violin finish in one of the three photos.

Bizarrely enough, I ran across it at NewEgg...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1680A87268

...which is actually Music Farm selling through NewEgg Marketplace.

Then, there are some new-old stock Patriot Vintage P90 models on eBay for less $$$...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHAEL-KELLY-Patriot-Vintage-electric-GUITAR-new-Antique-Violin-Satin-/400478142639?pt=Guitar&hash=item5d3e5b80af

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Kelly-Patriot-Vintage-Electric-Guitar-Antique-Violin-Satin-/121430613744?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c45d41ef0

• Members
The only thing I came across for the Michael Kelly Patriot' date=' is does have a thin neck with a shorter 24 3/4" scale. [/quote']

The necks on Patriots are the familiar "Gibson 1960" neck back contour (C profile) with 24.75 inch scale.

Fingerboard radius measures at 12 inches all the way up and down the neck.

Neck width is 1.50 inches at the nut and 2.0625 inches at the 22nd fret.

Archived