Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESP vs. LTD

I was wondering what peoples opinion of the two brands were. I would think that in a way ESP guitars could be losing money to LTD. Personally I have owned 2 different ESP Eclipses and have had 3 LTD EC-1000's in the past few years and currently I own an LTD EC-1000 in the vintage honeyburst and I have to say that there is a reason I now own an LTD over an ESP. They are extremely similar, so similar in fact that while I could notice a slight difference in them that it was extremely insignificant in comparison to how close they were in overall playability and tone. Maybe I have had good experiences, but I just feel like some of these newer korean made top of the line LTD's are just amazing values and compete very well with some other much higher priced guitars.

I had an LTD EC-1000 and an ESP Eclipse II and they were very similar in quality, playability, etc. I probably couldn't tell the difference if I played them blindfolded.

Had the EC-1000 for a few weeks and finally sent it back because it really didn't do much for me. I really tried to like the Eclipse, but after holding onto it for over a year I finally gave up and sold it.

Comment

Well i've owned a few LTD's and all of them were excellent guitars...my Snakebyte (made in Korea) I would put up there with an ESP standard series..pretty darn close...LTD's are a GREAT bang for the buck...offering EMG's and Seymour Duncans, Sperzel tuners, as well as other good components, for an affordable price..a high end LTD can cost close to $1000...not a "cheap" guitar by any means....although i have never owend an ESP i will say that yes i believe there is a difference, i am a firm believer that you get what you pay for with a guitar to a point...now does the difference justify the difference in price...it may not to you but others will say its worth it.....bottom line i would have no problem rawkin a nice LTD (i've done it) but i aint kickin an ESP outta bed either
      "The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought"
      Sir Thomas Beecham

Comment

I do not know about financials, however ESP produces some of the finest guitars on the planet.
        http://www.reverbnation.com/davidandthetinydaggers
        http://www.guitarfugue.com/
        http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=913992
        http://www.myspace.com/davidandthetinydaggers

member of the G&L Militia

Comment

Losing money?...same company so I can`t see how they`d be losing money.
          I see a lot of both in Japan and yeah, the LTDs are very nice but in Japan, status is everything when it comes to stuff...I`ve seen a pair of $700.00 cantaloupe melons, saw a $2000.00 watermelon on the TV news recently, there are tuna that sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars...getting the picture?...people own expensive things not because they`re necessarily better but because they like to show off that they can afford em, even if they sometimes really can`t...image is everything...so my point is this, sure guitar players in this city could buy an LTD for $1000.00 but they`ll more often choose the ESP, Gibson or F/USA for many times that price for the reasons I already mentioned. Now, the March earth quake has changed a lot of lives in and around this area so guitars are probably not high on many folks list right now but there is a very high end department store chain called Mitsukoshi and you`d see folks walking around the downtown are with their Mitsukoshi bags even if they didn`t go to the store that day, they need to be seen with one of their bags, they may go to another lesser quality store and just put their things in a high end store bag...same goes for guitars, and LTDs are not MIJ...they`re MIK, and that alone would prevent some people from buying LTDs, now don`t ask me to explain it, I can`t but there is still a lot of bad blood in the neighborhood and it sometimes is not logical but there you are, it is what it is. I know...Gibsons and F/USA aren`t MIJ either but wait...they`re American...and Japan seems to have this fasciation with US culture, maybe it is an odd respect for a country that kicked their butts, don`t know but I do know a lot of Chinese and/or Korean people I meet, as well as those from other Asians countries have their own stories of life in Japan and they aren`t always good, perpetuating the bad feelings that some folks just can`t seem to let go of...and I don`t mean to imply this only happens in Japan, no...many Koreans and Chinese evidently harbor the same feelings toward the Japanese.
          it wasn`t me

Comment

Depending upon the model number, the lower-end LTD models are made in Indo or China. Don't equate LTD = MIK.
            Good deals with kickaxeguitars1, sparky1358, ESlinker, Sblue, zepsongs, super56k, GibsonVMan, O'Rourke, forayear, tincob, PunkKitty, floodstage and others on other forums -- just ask.

Comment

Depending upon the model number, the lower-end LTD models are made in Indo or China. Don't equate LTD = MIK.

Well I specified the high end LTD's mainly the 1000 series. I am not talking about the lower end ones, but in my experience every 1000 series LTD I have ever seen has been made in korea.

Comment

Simply look thru the pro endorsers list for esp ltd guitars and basses. Theres more touring pros with cd's in stores around the world playing esp ltd, then there are playing esp amer versions. Same holds true for bc rich imports versus the american made ones btw.
                Life for its own carnal pleasure.Synths: Novation KS4 & Maudio Venom. Guitar: BC Rich It Warlock.. Bass: BC Rich Warlock. Sight: Aerial lasers by Omnisistem & Chauvet,. Geometric lasers by Extreme.

Comment

ESP make amazing stuff. Im pretty sure they own Edwards too. My ESP eclipse is one of the best feeling guitars ive ever played.

I dont have any experience with LTDs, but have heard more than a few times that the top end ones are extremely close to ESPs in quality.
                  Gear:
                  Cort m200 (with SD 59/JB combo)
                  Ampeg Dan Armstrong
                  Gibson Firebird Studio
                  Gibson Explorer x2 (natural/white)
                  Gibson LP studio
                  Squier Tele Custom II
                  Godin LG EMG
                  Hello Kitty Strat
                  Edwards LPC
                  Jackson COW 6
                  Jim Root Strat
                  ESP Eclipse I DBSB
                  Billy Corgan Strat
                  50s Tribute Goldtop HB
                  Squier Mini Strat
                  Fender Cabronita Tele

Comment

I'd love to play a traditional styled ESP
                    dharmaforone.bandcamp.comListen to my music and such.Strat - Jazzmaster - Bunch of fuzz and delay pedals - map.

Comment

I have owned ESPs and currently own an LTD EC400VF and PB500, both MIK. I had an EC1000 and traded it. I beat myself up over it every day. I will have another. I have owned LTDs from low end to high end. They are, by far, the best production instruments out there when you look at build quality and finished product.

I am a die hard Strat man. Always have been. I've played Strats for over 20 years. But If I could only have one guitar for the rest of my life, it would be an LTD EC1000.
                      ................The REAL Brah

Good trades/deals with: Fusion1, SOLARPIMP, Lonnie99, twotimingpete, Tupelo Sun, moon shadow, Florbastang, shooter 123, Wolfboy1, almost enough, meowy, ntmo, lovellintn, fulcrumpoint, matt rhoades, kojdogg, cadfael, Daveydude, DaveAronow, Smithshred

Comment

They're owned by the same company. It's simply a matter of different flavors. Both brands seem to be very well regarded. Just not my cup of tea.

Comment

I'd love to play a traditional styled ESP

My current one is a bit more classically designed, doesn't look like a metal guitar like most do. It is my main right now and for a good reason.

Comment

It goes like this for the esp company, from most expensive/"best" down to the cheapest line:
                            Navigator
                            ESP
                            Edwards
                            LTD
                            Grassroots
                            Esp wont make traditional style guitars as they make navigators as well, I highly recommend the navigators
                            heres one of mine, ive owned a ltd dave mustaine, and an eclipse ii yet only an LTD m1000 and h-1007 remain.

the rig is long gone

Comment

Anybody played any of the Vietnamese LTD's like this beauty? I played the George Lynch version...heavily relic'ed HSS Strat style and it was damn good. Thinking about getting one, especially since it comes with a Floyd Rose Special and not a proprietary knockoff.

a/c- EBMM Albert Lee SSS - Sky Blue- Kramer 'Wedge' aluminum neck - Red- Two-Rock Exo15 - Black/grey- Suhr Riot- Emperor 2x12/1x15 cabinet - Walnut/silver grille

Comment

Working...
                              X