The Goldtop Transmogrification Thread

Guitar Heel

• Members

[or...I want a goldtop but all I've got is this vintage red PRS SE.]

100_0808.jpg

So, the boyz and I were chatting over in the OMG thread a few weeks ago, and I was saying that I love my SE Soapbar, but the finish wasn't doing it for me. It's nice and all, certainly well-applied, but I thought it was a little boring. I've been wanting a McSoapy Goldtop for some time, so I starting asking around as to the feasibility of refinishing the SE in the McSoapy's image. It was soon discovered that I had neither the work space nor aptitude to take on this project, but that's where Elias Graves enters the story. I can only assume he was quite drunk, because he said that, not only would he do it, but that he wanted to do it...

So, before he was able to regain sobriety, I did this:

100_0822.jpg

100_0824-1.jpg

Stripped all the parts, as you can see. Then, per EG, I ordered all of this from ReRanch:

100_0814.jpg

100_0815.jpg

Sealer, Primer, Clearcoat, and original Les Paul Gold.

A few days later, it was on a Fed Ex truck headed for Oklahoma...

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So the guitar arrived at my place in one piece.

HPIM0724.jpg

Went to work with the sandpaper. I got excited at first since the red disappeared quickly and I saw wood. Kinda thought PRS used a thineer finish than my Epi did. No such luck. Only the red layer was thin. After that, another foot of clear. Ugh.

This is what it looks like after one session with the paper. Plannig on spending this afternoon working on it.

HPIM0726.jpg

EG

• Members

BTW, GH, which is the "extra" hole in the top?

EG

The middle one.

For the television audience: I purchased this guy used for around $350. Absolutely a top-notch guitar, and among my best players. The prior owner modded this by adding an extra volume knob. But, of course it wasn't lined up well, on either axis, and I think the extra knob takes away from the PRSness a bit. Mostly an aesthetic issue for me, since I rarely use the pickups at different volumes.

• Members

So the extra hole is to be plugged and the guitar re-wired back to stock?
:love:

(since the goldtop is going to be an opaque finish and all...)

Very possibly. If it's gonna suck to do though, then I'd rather EG not do it, since he's already doing everything else (and I already feel guilty).

• Members

plugging the extra hole is not that complicated...you just need to match a dowel to the hole (may require re-drilling to the proper size), glue it in place then sand down the excess flush to the top...

...because your finish is going to opaque the alignment and appearance of the plug are not critical, just how smooth the finished product is...

• Members

Went to work with the sandpaper.

Is the finish tough enough that it takes that long with an orbital sander or are you doing it by hand to avoid damaging the body?

EG is pretty psychotic...he probably just went to work with paper and elbow grease...:facepalm:

• Members

As far as the plug goes, I don't think you'd ever know if it was plugged. While a gold top is somewhat opaque, it's fairly complete coverage and any grain you see through it is faint and kind of indistinct. I seriously doubt anyone could pick out a plug seam by looking.

EG

• Members

Yes, here is my sander. Power sanders are just too easy to gouge wood with. I prefer the old fashioned way.

HPIM0730.jpg
EG

God bless ya, man. I'd have busted out my Makita for the initial stages, anyway. Is this finish thicker than that SG you did in Silver?

And the real question- is only the top going to be gold? I think that would be cooler, but not sure how you would make the change from gold to natural without binding.

• Members

God bless ya, man. I'd have busted out my Makita for the initial stages, anyway. Is this finish thicker than that SG you did in Silver?

And the real question- is only the top going to be gold? I think that would be cooler, but not sure how you would make the change from gold to natural without binding.

Perhaps natural binding via masking tape?

Archived