No announcement yet.

The right gear can make you a better player

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The right gear can make you a better player

Yes, I'm familiar with "it's all in the fingers.." blah blah blah.

But ever since I made a radical change to my setup, I've been peppered with unsolicited comments from people who have heard me play for 20+ years about how great I sound these days. They actually look forward to my typically short solos, intros and outros.

It's all come since I made my Gibson Les Paul Alex Lifeson the centerpiece of my rig and replaced my pedalboard with a Pod HD500 (I don't use the amp models). I think that judicious use of the Floyd and extreme tweakability of the HD500 effects account for the bulk of the recent attention. There's nothing like a well placed dive bomb or perfectly sync'd delay and phaser to get people to turn their heads away from our amazing drummer. Rock on. And remember that the right gear can make a difference. Just ask my hero Alex Lifeson, Jack White, Jimmy Page, or Joe Bonamassa.

gear does make a difference. but if you suck, you suck, gear won't make you better. and if you're good, you'll be good on any gear that's decent.
    The most important part of my religion is to play guitar.
    Lou Reed

Comment

I agree. A guitar, amp or pedal can inspire you and that's what really makes the difference.

Doc, good to see you; I haven't seen you around much lately. Did your home and loved ones make it through the wildfires OK?
      Hold mah beer an' watch this!

Comment

It's quoted in my sig but I think GreatDane said it best. Maybe you're inspired by your new gear and playing better.

That LP is gorgeous, by the way!
        - Gibson ES-335
        - Gibson Hummingbird
        - Fender Strat MIM
        - Ovation Tangent & Tangent Bass
        - Vox AC15C1 - British Racing Green

F-Holes

Originally Posted by GreatDane

the player plays, but the instrument should inspire.

Comment

I've had some people tell me that they like the way I play on certain guitars better than others. I like to switch it up for variety, but for me, my amp/pedalboard is the constant. My bandmates actually complain when we play shared-equipment shows or studio rehearsals and I'm not using my Vox. I love my amp, too, but it's nice to see that others appreciate it as well.
          Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

I agree with this sentiment. I also fully agree w/pesky up above; if you can't play, you just can't play and no gear is gonna help that.

That is a gorgeous les paul doc.
            --
            Wagdog
            Check out Lunar Commander on:
            iTunes App Store
            Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
            iTunes App Store
            Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
            - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

i play like me, whether on a $100 Bullet or a $3000 CS. i've played Custom Shop Strats, and if i was any better on them, i would buy one in a second. unfortunately, i can't seem to buy improvement that easily.
              Lou Reed

Comment

It's like sex, isn't it? The hawt chick gets your best performance, but Old Sheila probably has to put up with your whiskey fella. But if you're a bad kisser, you're a bad kisser.
                https://soundcloud.com/danhedonia

Comment

yes it can... but the difference it makes compared to putting the time and effort into getting better is so minuscule it's hardly worth mentioning

Comment

I agree. A guitar, amp or pedal can inspire you and that's what really makes the difference.

Doc, good to see you; I haven't seen you around much lately. Did your home and loved ones make it through the wildfires OK?

Thanks for that! No problem with fires in our neighborhood. It moved north and west of us. My wife and I took our new car on a road trip to a couple of family reunions, both in CA. My cousins all got together in the wine country (most of them grow zinfandel grapes around Lodi) and my wife's family met in Yosemite. On the way back, we stopped in Durango and Pagosa Springs, CO.

Comment

Agreed. Finding what works for you can make a world of difference.
                      Good to see you back, man. We've missed you
                      Originally Posted by Fork Man

The answer is, of course, onions.

Originally Posted by MyNameIsMok...

Blasphemer! I'll bite your nipples off.

Originally Posted by nicholai

All guitars suck. Except for mine. They rock.

Comment

Getting the right gear usually means sifting through the 'wrong' gear. That shows dedication, especially when the right gear might mean a trip to a custom shop or custom prices.

This is what I repeatedly tell myself when I sound terrible and my only option is to throw money at it.
                        "for a guy who couldn't write at allhe was about like the restof them: he could suretalk aboutit."- BukowskiG: Agile LP (BG Bucker A2/Hellabucker A8), Ibanez RG2550 (Jon Baxter PAF/TB-6). A: Peavey XXX combo (used as head) w/JJE34L's, Engl Screamer head Lopo 2x12 w/Emi. v128's E: Joyo Vintage OD, MXR Micro Flanger, Hardwire OD, Hardwire Chorus, MXR 10 Band EQ, Bad Monkey, MI Audio Crunchbox (18v), Behringer Ultra Fuzz, Boss HM2

Comment

I believe that gear can inspire one to play more, and hopefully improve. I've been a guitar owner for 10 years now but still can't play much. I've picked up some guitars this last year, an amp and some pedals and right now I'm more inspired than ever. We'll see what happens.
                          I one day hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.WORDS OF WISDOM FROM VARIOUS MEMBERS"most often the guitar will rise or fall to the level of the player""people overthink ****************""Sometimes you gotta know when to shut the **************** up and have a little class. Not you, you're special.""If it sounds good to you then it sounds good"The bull**************** and myths in the guitar world are stacked very high.

Comment

Absolutely. If you don't have gear that satisfactorily produces the sound you want, it absolutely circles back to your playing. Not having enough sustain or having a really harsh tone will make you think twice about playing in the upper registers. No clarity and muddy bass will make any complex chords sound bad. All of a sudden you become constrained and your playing suffers. Plus, it's not just for my sake - if I'm not getting good tones, my band's sound will be less pleasing on the whole. Which is why there is a certain standard of gear I need to have.
                            K-Line Truxton, Heritage H535, G&L Legacy

Comment

yes it can... but the difference it makes compared to putting the time and effort into getting better is so minuscule it's hardly worth mentioning

so well-put.
                              Lou Reed

Comment

Working...
                              X