The right gear can make you a better player

docjeffrey

• Members

I know the implication is that good gear can make someone better, but I personally think playing through bad or unusual gear can make people a better player, too. Most guitars and amps have a sweet spot that can be found, even if it's a Squier practice amp (gain all the way up, volume down on the guitar, tone half way, that kind of thing). Actually having to work to get a good sound can make you open up your mind and listen to yourself, which all musicians have to do to improve, instead of just being OK with the rhythm-treble toggle and all that.

I think gear in general can help people because switching gear often makes you listen to yourself more.

This is pretty much the point that Jack White made at the beginning of It Might Get Loud. He was saying that he likes instruments he needs to fight with to get the right sound.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is pretty much the point that Jack White made at the beginning of It Might Get Loud. He was saying that he likes instruments he needs to fight with to get the right sound.

That part of that movie always sticks with me when I'm having an off day. Keeps me from throwing my guitar out the window.

My Surf Strat has the same strings and hasn't been properly set up since I pulled it out of the box and I love how it's made me better as a player. It just feels right. I feel that most guitarists on this board would look at it and be like "how can you play this?" but... it just feels right. I'm hesitant to put new strings on it, but it's almost that time. =

• Members

That part of that movie always sticks with me when I'm having an off day. Keeps me from throwing my guitar out the window.

My Surf Strat has the same strings and hasn't been properly set up since I pulled it out of the box and I love how it's made me better as a player. It just feels right. I feel that most guitarists on this board would look at it and be like "how can you play this?" but... it just feels right. I'm hesitant to put new strings on it, but it's almost that time. =

It will sound incredible to you after you change them grimy strings!

• Members

I play my best when I'm not fighting the guitar due to set-up issues, or constantly fidgeting with the effects and amp settings to dial in the right tone. It all distracts from simply playing the music I know how to play.

+1 :thu:

• Members

Here's a video that I created using my Lifeson right after I got it. I really like the acoustic sounds that I got through my old (really old!) Trace Acoustic amp. Then I blend in the tones from my Marshall with some effects. You can see how versatile this guitar is. Like I mentioned, I don't always set my rig like this, especially when we have an acoustic guitarist playing with the band. I like to blend in the piezo with the magnetics for some depth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVSIS6CQDv0

Here's a song that I recorded with my Lifeson, however, the electric tones are purposely layered, so you're not gonna hear a lot of up front leads. Also, there's a baritone and a Martin in the mix along with a Mellotron keyboard. I really like this song. It's taken from my favorite book--Revelations! Some crazy stuff in there. I took a few liberties with the lyrics, but it's pretty much in tune with the spirit of Chapter 7. I like the chord progression and the melody that I came up with here!

Rev7 by Jeff Bauer mp3 version

Rev 7 by Jeff Bauer downloadable zip file

• Members
I agree that everyone at every stage of the learning process will be better served by a good playing guitar, especially when it comes to playability and intonation, those things that form the motor skills as well as the ear. I say buy the best guitar you can afford and don't collect cheapies just yet.

But...

I won't say any names obviously but when someone has been posting (pics and words) constantly about his high end gear and/or fabulous collection, I just assume that he does some justice, at least, to these instruments with reasonably decent playing. One, in particular, recently posted a vid of his new acquisition, the last in a series of fancy new guitars, and seeing the video, I went
:freak:
. No melody to speak of, every bend was off pitch, his attack was weak and ill timed and his notes were half dead upon birth. One of the worst player I've heard on this board and yet raving about his favorite brand and owning one of the most mind boggling collection of expensive guitars. My point is NOT about his playing (if he's having fun, more power to him) or for that matter that anyone should be a skilled player but it's surprising and even strange to hear someone overtime speaking with "autority" about guitars, gear, etc. and then they turn out to be abysmally bad at playing guitar.

This isn't American Idol, is it? Damn, you really have an issue with me. Are you jealous or just a dick?

• Members

This isn't American Idol, is it? Damn, you really have an issue with me. Are you jealous or just a dick?

I'm not sure he was, in fact, talking about you. IMO you seem to be too proficient at guitar to fit the description. What I heard in your video was pretty darn good. I for one do not doubt your abilities as a player, and you have a fine collection to boot!

In defense of JKater, every post I've read from him has been congenial, if not helpful.

• Members

For the record, I've gotten some positive feedback from Jason Lollar about my demo of his Regal humbuckers and from the owner of Wildwood Guitars regarding a demo of the Alex Lifeson guitar--both unsolicited. In fact, i have no idea how Jason Lollar found my clip, but he obviously pays attention to Youtube.

[video=youtube;N-IR5JDCTes]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-IR5JDCTes

nice job on the video- regardless of distortion level you can tell how punchy the pickups are. Try to do something helpful and there will always be someone that doesnt like it
:)
thanks for posting

? jason

LollarGuitars 1 year ago

• Members

I'm not sure he was, in fact, talking about you. IMO you seem to be too proficient at guitar to fit the description. What I heard in your video was pretty darn good. I for one do not doubt your abilities as a player, and you have a fine collection to boot!

In defense of JKater, every post I've read from him has been congenial, if not helpful.

I recall reading his remarks about one of my songs being exactly the same as he posted on this page, so I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but in this case I'm not sure.

There are plenty of people who have issues with high priced gear and some of them have good reason. Great guitars can be had at moderate prices these days--the LTD line, most Epiphones, PRS SE's, Fender MIM's, and some of the less well known house brands like Agile. Then, there are guitars that aren't sold in the US like Vintage and Peerless (I've never seen them, anyway). Ibanez make some great archtops for cheap. Godin give you terrific bang for buck. etc. I have absolutely no doubt that you can get a fantastic guitar for much less than I typically pay. But right now I happen to be in a position where I can acquire some instruments that I have dreamed about for decades--Custom Shop Les Pauls, ES's, Custom Shop Fenders, Ricks, Japanese made Gretsches, etc. and I'm LOVING it! That doesn't make me better than anyone on this board in any way. It's just where I am right now. In the blink of an eye it could all be gone, and I'm completely aware of the fact that my collection will outlive me, so I'm just holding on to them for the next player to do something righteous with these beautiful instruments. I may have to sell them all at some point, who knows? But I'm having a blast and that's what counts; plus I'm learning stuff all the time from the members of this board. Keep on rockin'! If you keep on playing, you'll never hear your single coils hum and buzz.

• Members

There are plenty of people who have issues with high priced gear and some of them have good reason. Great guitars can be had at moderate prices these days--the LTD line, most Epiphones, PRS SE's, Fender MIM's, and some of the less well known house brands like Agile. Then, there are guitars that aren't sold in the US like Vintage and Peerless (I've never seen them, anyway). Ibanez make some great archtops for cheap. Godin give you terrific bang for buck. etc. I have absolutely no doubt that you can get a fantastic guitar for much less than I typically pay. But right now I happen to be in a position where I can acquire some instruments that I have dreamed about for decades--Custom Shop Les Pauls, ES's, Custom Shop Fenders, Ricks, Japanese made Gretsches, etc. and I'm LOVING it! That doesn't make me better than anyone on this board in any way. It's just where I am right now. In the blink of an eye it could all be gone, and I'm completely aware of the fact that my collection will outlive me, so I'm just holding on to them for the next player to do something righteous with these beautiful instruments. I may have to sell them all at some point, who knows? But I'm having a blast and that's what counts; plus I'm learning stuff all the time from the members of this board. Keep on rockin'! If you keep on playing, you'll never hear your single coils hum and buzz.

I agree with you 100%. I have reached a point in my life where I can afford pretty expensive gear too and it's really nice to get guitars you dreamed about. I don't recall you ever being boastful about your acquisitions, in fact you appear pretty humble about it all, and you never said expensive gear, but the right gear. Price was never mentioned in the OP, it just so happens that the right guitar for you right now is you alex lifeson LP. Nothing wrong with that at all. My right gear happens to be my Rick 360. Out of all my guitars it just fits and sounds perfect to me. A close second is still my Reverend Jetstream 390, I've been using it on our Eb tunings in my band. Got it cheap, used a few years ago and it's still one of my all-time favorites in my collection even though it was one of the least expensive.

At any rate, I've never seen you act snobby about your gear. I hope I've never come off as snobby about my gear.

It's every bit as snobby to be a guy with inexpensive gear looking down on people who play more expensive gear as it is the reverse.

Snobbery is snobbery.

But that's just how the interwebz works sometimes.

• Members

I agree with you 100%. I have reached a point in my life where I can afford pretty expensive gear too and it's really nice to get guitars you dreamed about. I don't recall you ever being boastful about your acquisitions, in fact you appear pretty humble about it all, and you never said expensive gear, but the right gear. Price was never mentioned in the OP, it just so happens that the right guitar for you right now is you alex lifeson LP. Nothing wrong with that at all. My right gear happens to be my Rick 360. Out of all my guitars it just fits and sounds perfect to me. A close second is still my Reverend Jetstream 390, I've been using it on our Eb tunings in my band. Got it cheap, used a few years ago and it's still one of my all-time favorites in my collection even though it was one of the least expensive.

At any rate, I've never seen you act snobby about your gear. I hope I've never come off as snobby about my gear.

It's every bit as snobby to be a guy with inexpensive gear looking down on people who play more expensive gear as it is the reverse.

Snobbery is snobbery.

I'm absolutely certain that I've come off as a corksniffing snob on many occasions. I really don't intend to be that way, but I'm certain that my attitude appears flippant and unsympathetic to people who prefer to buy reasonably priced guitars.

I'm not alone in the fact that when I was between 15 and 40 years old, good quality and reasonable prices were essentially mutually exclusive when it came to guitars and amps. There were a few exceptions but I never saw them in our local shops, and the internet was years away. By the time decent, giggable, professional quality gear became affordable, I was chasing the stuff that I couldn't afford in my youth, and perfectly happy doing it. Younger forum members probably have no idea how my friends and I would have killed for something like an Agile AL2000 when we were young and broke or spending our income on our wife and kids. Damn. This thing is just gorgeous! How could you possibly go wrong for $225? You can't! But as beautiful and imminently giggable as this guitar may appear, I'd find a hundred things wrong with it, most of them unimportant to the task of making music! And that would ruin it for me. Yes, I was irreparably damaged by the affordable guitar blight of the 70's and 80's.

al2000natspal5.jpg

• Members

Snobbery is snobbery.

I'm absolutely certain that I've come off as a corksniffing snob on many occasions. I really don't intend to be that way, but I'm certain that my attitude appears flippant and unsympathetic to people who prefer to buy reasonably priced guitars.

I'm not alone in the fact that when I was between 15 and 40 years old, good quality and reasonable prices were essentially mutually exclusive when it came to guitars and amps. There were a few exceptions but I never saw them in our local shops, and the internet was years away. By the time decent, giggable, professional quality gear became affordable, I was chasing the stuff that I couldn't afford in my youth, and perfectly happy doing it. Younger forum members probably have no idea how my friends and I would have killed for something like an Agile AL2000 when we were young and broke or spending our income on our wife and kids. Damn. This thing is just gorgeous! How could you possibly go wrong for $225? You can't! But as beautiful and imminently giggable as this guitar may appear, I'd find a hundred things wrong with it, most of them unimportant to the task of making music! And that would ruin it for me. Yes, I was irreparably damaged by the affordable guitar blight of the 70's and 80's.

al2000natspal5.jpg

• Members

:freak:

I wasn't talking about you. The person I refered to is a nice guy (nicer than you, no doubts) and neither he nor you will ever know who I meant. My opinion of his playing doesn't touch him, Heaven forbid.

I wonder what I'm supposed to be jealous of. The amount of money you make? Yes, I'm a little jealous of that. As to me being a dick, that was probably your best guess.

• Members

I was thinking of spending tomorrow practicing scales and doing some exercises and tutorials. But i think this thread has convinced me to just go and buy a very expensive guitar that will make me better. And yes, I can afford it.

• Members

I recall reading his remarks about one of my songs
being exactly the same
as he posted on this page, so I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but in this case I'm not sure.

There is no way that I ever described your playing with the words I used in my above post. In fact I don't recall ever having been that harsh in speaking about anyone's playing (hence not naming the person in question) until today and my point was more about the sub-topic of poor skills vs super high end gear, etc.

I do recall talking about your playing in a critical way at one point but it wasn't about you playing wrong notes, etc. but rather the opposite. You once boasted that you "hardly ever play a wrong note" (remember saying that?). I commented that if a player (other than Paul Kossof) plays fewer notes, doesn't take any risks and play safe, it makes for very "correct" and rather boring music. Your music is very polished and you sure know how to tweak great sounds out of your gear. Your talks about this tube or that goes miles above my head but i'm sure that meeting you in person and hearing through real vibrating air the difference that those tiny details make would leave me completely convinced. Given the imperfect medium of internet, you do come accross as a gear snob and, who knows? I might have misinterpreted your intents when I thought you were putting other people's gear down.

• Members

There is no way that I ever described your playing with the words I used in my above post. In fact I don't recall ever having been that harsh in speaking about anyone's playing (hence not naming the person in question) until today and my point was more about the sub-topic of poor skills vs super high end gear, etc.

I do recall talking about your playing in a critical way at one point but it wasn't about you playing wrong notes, etc. but rather the opposite. You once boasted that you "hardly ever play a wrong note" (remember saying that?). I commented that if a player (other than Paul Kossof) plays fewer notes, doesn't take any risks and play safe, it makes for very "correct" and rather boring music. Your music is very polished and you sure know how to tweak great sounds out of your gear. Your talks about this tube or that goes miles above my head but i'm sure that meeting you in person and hearing through real vibrating air the difference that those tiny details make would leave me completely convinced. Given the imperfect medium of internet, you do come accross as a gear snob and, who knows? I might have misinterpreted your intents when I thought you were putting other people's gear down.

This is a gear forum and I think that we need to look at things critically. I never put other peoples' gear down in a personal manner, but, yeah, it could come across that way depending on the context. I have a lot of respect for just about every forum members, you included, and I enjoy evaluating what they have to say based on my knowledge, which admittedly is limited. I read books and articles by guys like Tom Wheeler, Tony Bacon, George Gruhn, Walter Carter, Aspen Pittman, Robb Lawrence. Those guys really know their stuff and I tend to lean on them for authoritative information. I've read dozens of guitar books and by now thousands of articles from recognized experts. I absolutely love this stuff. I also have a lot of free time to play, often 5-6 hours a day and since I keep my gear for a long time, I notice how things change and when they change. I know exactly how each of my guitars feels in my hands; I know how they smell, how long they sustain, whether the strings are floppy or taught, where the trouble spots are likely to be. I have a lot of guitar stuff in my brain. I love to talk about guitars and I try to stay knowledgeable about things, but all of that cannot begin to compare with the collective knowledge of the people on this board. That's why I stop by here.

• Members

This is a gear forum and I think that we need to look at things critically. I never put other peoples' gear down in a personal manner, but, yeah, it could come across that way depending on the context. I have a lot of respect for just about every forum member, you included, and I enjoy evaluating what they have to say based on my knowledge, which admittedly is limited. I read books and articles by guys like Tom Wheeler, Tony Bacon, George Gruhn, Walter Carter, Aspen Pittman, Robb Lawrence. Those guys really know their stuff and I tend to lean on them for authoritative information. I've read dozens of guitar books and by now thousands of articles from recognized experts. I absolutely love this stuff. I also have a lot of free time to play, often 5-6 hours a day and since I keep my gear for a long time, I notice how things change and when they change. I know exactly how each of my guitars feels in my hands; I know how they smell, how long they sustain, whether the strings are floppy or taught, where the trouble spots are likely to be. I have a lot of guitar stuff in my brain. I love to talk about guitars and I try to stay knowledgeable about things, but all of that cannot begin to compare with the collective knowledge of the people on this board. That's why I stop by here.

• Members

I recently updated my rig. I got my dream guitar (Parker Fly Classic) and upgraded my amp to a Mesa Mark III. While I immediatley sounded better, I didn't play better. However, now that I have better sound, I'm putting in more time playing and becoming a better player as a result. In short, improving my gear inspired me to improve my playing.

• Members

I'm fine with people loving and showing off their expensive gear. Doc's got some beautiful guitars and amps and has also posted some nice clips. And I have always posted saying as much.

But doc, gotta say, you DO seem to enjoy flaunting. Maybe you enjoy this role?

I have guitars that are as "right gear" as any doc owns. I did have to buy used, but 3 of my circa 80's guitars are as good as it gets, at any price.

But I admit could sound and play just as well, like I said in a earlier post, on a 1000/amp/guitar combo.

• Members

But I admit could sound and play just as well, like I said in a earlier post, on a 1000/amp/guitar combo.

FWIW, $1000 for a rig is practically unatainable for a lot of people out there. That may be small potatoes for you but it's a lot for many others.

Just be careful, you might be the next one to be labelled a gear snob throwing stuff like that out there so non-chalantly.

It's all relative.

• Members

I love Doc's gear, posts, and passion, but I don't think he "flaunts" his high-end stuff. However, I do think he tends to pre-emptively apologize for raving about "expensive" guitars and such. It's probably a reflex tendency, born of hours spent here, whereby one posts something about a $2000+ guitar and several posters chime in about how "that's too much to pay" or how "he can get basically the same thing for $900 or less". So I take Doc's saying "I realize such and such costs $3000" is like saying "we all know and understand that there are less-expensive options out there, so let's not make that the focus of subsequent replies".

Somehow, it often turns into the focus of subsequent replies ...

• Members

FWIW, I have never thought Docjeffery was flaunting his gear. I enjoy seeing it, just like I enjoy seeing pretty much any guitar gear.

Most importantly though, I enjoy hearing what he does with it - and he does get some great sounds. Great player too.

:rawk: on!

Archived