The right gear can make you a better player

docjeffrey

• Members

I'm not going to tell you that there aren't some gems in the lower range, but really they're few and far between.

That wasn't the point though. I don't think the Dean was in any way a "gem". I just don't find it restricting to play on a "lesser" guitar - up to a point anyway; it has to have decent intonation and be reasonably well set up of course.

I much prefer playing better guitars, but that isn't the same as saying that those better guitars make me a better player.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That wasn't the point though. I don't think the Dean was in any way a "gem". I just don't find it restricting to play on a "lesser" guitar - up to a point anyway; it has to have decent intonation and be reasonably well set up of course.

I much prefer playing better guitars, but that isn't the same as saying that those better guitars make me a better player.

I just found the opposite to be true. I find that I really get on with my higher-end axes a lot more than I thought I would do.

Like I say, I didn't believe it either until I dropped some coin on a decent axe and subsequently found it difficult to go back to cheaper-made axes - primarily due to how they needed a lot more attention to keep in fine fettle and how they just didn't sound as good, feel as good and didn't respond as well as the high-end ones.

Don't get me wrong, there's a couple of cheapies in my collection that I keep because they're great players, but they are totally overshadowed by the higher-end stuff simply because they are better and, as a direct result, make me a better player!

Just an opinion. If you find love in a

• Members

If we're talking about performing (rather than noodling at home, recording or practicing) then I think the amp, PA, monitors and/or sound engineer makes a much bigger difference than any difference in quality of the guitar. Does for me anyway. A lot of what I do has elements of improvisation in it and I need to hear myself clearly to play well.

• Members

I played a Les Paul Studio and a Heritage H555, mostly the Heritage. One day I was having a strap button attached to my Martin D28 and I was messing with some used guitars while the guy did the work. I played several, but when I started playing a MIM '69 Thinline Tele' I was home. I bought that guitar, and as much as it pains me, because I saved for many years for the Heritage, the Tele' is by far the guitar I like to play the most. I don't worry about technique, I don't worry about speed, I don't worry about anything, I just play it. Everything about my playing has improved so much over the last year, I can't wait to see what this year brings. I think it is about finding the physical "home" that a certain instrument provides you, not the cost or complexity of the species used to make the guitar. Why else would there ever be a need for custom guitars? I still play my fine guitars, but when I want balls to the wall, forget the instrument, I'm playing here, I go to a 500$ Tele'...

• Members

If we're talking about performing (rather than noodling at home, recording or practicing) then I think the amp, PA, monitors and/or sound engineer makes a much bigger difference than any difference in quality of the guitar. Does for me anyway. A lot of what I do has elements of improvisation in it and I need to hear myself clearly to play well.

I think you're more driving at the point of the guitarist being as good as the sum of its parts, which is true as well. Some amps I just don't gel with. But a guitarist who's really in-tune with his guitar makes a marked difference and, I feel, I can only get that relationship with a higher end guitar. I don't think low end ones have the mojo - despite the fact I hate that terminology.

That said, there are some lower end guitars I've owned that, no matter what pickups, no matter what amps, no matter what strings or what {censored}-hot tech set it up, just sounded like {censored}ing mud! I had an Epiphone LP Custom like that; it's Gibson counterpart was streets ahead.

But anecdotal experience is anecdotal and means crap when you happen to find a

• Members

If you love your gear you will wanna touch an play with it. That means practice. In that way it can have a physical impact. If it is easier to play with a better action or neck than that can help. I have recently added a bit of delay to my sound an that makes it sound better. I think gear can help but if you suck you will still suck. Maybe just not as much.

I never got to test out the theory with my PRS. At the same time I bought it our band had an upheaval and I lost interest in playing to the extent I stopped practicing and became a worse player. I have not really got back to my previously very modest best even though the band is going again.

• Members
FWIW, I have never thought Docjeffery was flaunting his gear. I enjoy seeing it, just like I enjoy seeing pretty much any guitar gear.

Most importantly though, I enjoy hearing what he does with it - and he does get some great sounds. Great player too.

:rawk:
on!

There's no doubt Doc's demos are some of the best sounding demos around here. He does have serious studio engineering skills. It seems folks are taking 'the right gear' to mean expensive gear. Prior to 'retiring' from professional/semi-professional music making I only used name brands, Fender, Gibson, PRS even an original BC Rich Mockingbird. When I decided I was going to play and record at home as a hobby, the idea of cheaper guitars interested me. Any live situation issues weren't a factor if I was just noodling at home. Subsequently I purchased a Fender Nashville MIM Tele, an Xaviere 335 style axe and a Vintage SG style guitar. The Fender turned into a real eye opener. A totally happening guitar that inspires me everytime I pick it up. Sure, there are higher priced Teles that probably would knock my socks off but my Nashville is very cool. The Vintage, with a pup upgrade is a good approximation of the Gibson SG. It doesn't have the "X" factor ( which the tech heads can argue about for a hours as to whether it's the wood, hardware etc. or ALL of that) of a Gibson, but for a guy noodling at home on his computer, a fun option. The Xaviere was the worst out of the box. Tuning problems, the pickups were bland, the neck needed a fret job. I recently installed a set of Rose humbucker sized P-90s in it ( after having a WCR Moore/Green set in it. GREAT pickups that perhaps will find a home in another guitar. They didn't suit the bright Xaviere.) and I think I'll keep it. When I play my PRS Artist or my Les Paul Standard after spending some time with the cheaper guitars, it's like running without weights. Owning cheaper guitars give me a lot more tonal options, fight me a lot harder technique-wise and ultimately make me appreciate my high end stuff more.

• Members

OP It seems a lot of fuss for someone playing in a church with people pretending they are listening.

I think you'd be amazed if you attended a church with a really good worship program. I've played all kinds of events and venues since I began in '71. People are actually engaged in a modern worship setting and, yes, they do listen. We're reminded on this July 4 holiday that our country was founded by pilgrims wanting to escape the Church of England.

• Members

i own and have owned high end guitars..
. my number 1 right now is my korean made g&l tribute asat (tele)
... i had a suhr pro series s1,,, i sold it because for the kinds of tones i was using it for ... i preferred the g&l... in many ways

you need to appreciate that everyone is different... this isn't an exact science... and where something is made isn't the deciding factor on how it's going to enhance someone's music making journey

That's a refined, pro level instrument on par with pretty much anything coming out of Corona or Nashville these days!

• Members

I think you'd be amazed if you attended a church with a really good worship program. I've played all kinds of events and venues since I began in '71. People are actually engaged in a modern worship setting and, yes, they do listen. We're reminded on this July 4 holiday that our country was founded by pilgrims wanting to escape the Church of England.

Sorry doc I have just never heard a (non musical) audience commenting on someones tone. The general show and content yes, but not how you sound.

On your last sentence. Yep. I am sure YOUR religion is the best. Fancy a war?

• Members

Because the band sucked. Lol.

• Members

We're reminded on this July 4 holiday that our country was founded by pilgrims wanting to escape the Church of England.

Sure, if you ignore the first permanent English settlement founded in Jamestown VA (...13 years before the pilgrims landed in Plymouth).

• Members

One shouldn't chide anyone's guitar/gear regardless of cost. What matters is the joy that one gets from expressing themselves and/or creating their art with their instrument whether it is an Epi or a Collings. I just find it interesting that people at HCEG are fairly quick to criticize those with an appreciation for more expensive gear.

Appreciation is one thing, this guy video'd his new guitar like it was one of the kids! Sorry but thats just sad.

• Members

Sorry doc I have just never heard a (non musical) audience commenting on someones tone. The general show and content yes, but not how you sound.

On your last sentence. Yep. I am sure YOUR religion is the best.
Fancy a war?

We already had one. You guys lost.

Seriously, the pilgrim thing was just a poke at my beloved English friends--I'm not suggesting any sort of revisionist history. Jamestown was a disaster, by the way.

But, back to the issue at hand. I have found that a lot of people who are quick to criticize the whole worship band concept are unfamiliar with it. Some great music takes place on Sunday mornings all over American and I'm certain other parts of the world. You can really dial in your tone and get into the spirit of the music. Our congregation loves the music that we play, and we have a repertoire of well over 250 songs, mostly rock and pop. Every week our band has to prepare for a completely new set. We introduce new songs about every two weeks, so you have to stay sharp and practice.

But the reason that I love it so much is because, like I said, everyone involved, musicians, sound techs, AV techs, singers, and the congregation participates and has a part in making it a meaningful. You're not just background noise or playing to a bunch of liquored up idiots (of which I have been on many occasions). There's a true sense of purpose that goes beyond entertaining.

As far as gear goes, remember, I've been doing this for more than 20 years, so at some point I've tried just about everything: 100 watt solid state Randall Commander II with a tele, Hot Rod Deluxe, Orange AD30, a few Marshalls, original Pod 1, Johnson J-station, Vox Tonelab, a bunch of Vox amps (my favorite sound). For guitars, I started of course with a tele, then went through a lengthy Rickenbacker kick followed by strats and finally deciding that I'm a humbucker guy through and through. But my PRS experiences convinced me that tremolos are wicked cool, so after messing with them for years, I finally gave in to the lure of the Floyd. That along with the superb design of the Lifeson LP has allowed me to play like I've always wanted without worry.

• Members

We already had one. You guys lost.

Seriously, the pilgrim thing was just a poke at my beloved English friends--I'm not suggesting any sort of revisionist history. Jamestown was a disaster, by the way.

But, back to the issue at hand. I have found that a lot of people who are quick to criticize the whole worship band concept are unfamiliar with it. Some great music takes place on Sunday mornings all over American and I'm certain other parts of the world. You can really dial in your tone and get into the spirit of the music. Our congregation loves the music that we play, and we have a repertoire of well over 250 songs, mostly rock and pop. Every week our band has to prepare for a completely new set. We introduce new songs about every two weeks, so you have to stay sharp and practice.

But the reason that I love it so much is because, like I said, everyone involved, musicians, sound techs, AV techs, singers, and the congregation participates and has a part in making it a meaningful. You're not just background noise or playing to a bunch of liquored up idiots (of which I have been on many occasions). There's a true sense of purpose that goes beyond entertaining.

As far as gear goes, remember, I've been doing this for more than 20 years, so at some point I've tried just about everything: 100 watt solid state Randall Commander II with a tele, Hot Rod Deluxe, Orange AD30, a few Marshalls, original Pod 1, Johnson J-station, Vox Tonelab, a bunch of Vox amps (my favorite sound). For guitars, I started of course with a tele, then went through a lengthy Rickenbacker kick followed by strats and finally deciding that I'm a humbucker guy through and through. But my PRS experiences convinced me that tremolos are wicked cool, so after messing with them for years, I finally gave in to the lure of the Floyd. That along with the superb design of the Lifeson LP has allowed me to play like I've always wanted without worry.

To be a Christian you have to do a bit more than play banjo in a church. Or clap along to one. Personally I dont believe in or need fairy stories. But hey thats just me. You enjoy. Just bear in mind it does not give you license to act like an asshole the rest of the time.

(Just a poke at my american friend.)

• Members

To be a Christian you have to do a bit more than play banjo in a church. Or clap along to one. Personally I dont believe in or need fairy stories. But hey thats just me. You enjoy. Just bear in mind it does not give you license to act like an asshole the rest of the time.

(Just a poke at my american friend.)

I can tell from your comments that you haven't experienced a church with a good worship program. I truly hope you get a chance to do so simply to educate yourself if nothing else. It will change your preconceptions.

Another thing that I would encourage you to do is to investigate the history of the Jewish people. I'm not talking about the creation story. I'm talking about the history of the Egyptian, Babylonian, Persian, Grecian and Roman Empires as recorded in the Old Testament. Check out what archeologists have found and how they coincide with the recorded history. There's a remarkable body of evidence to support the plight of the Israelites. Then consider the evidence surrounding the life of Jesus of Nazareth. All of these events occurred; it's not a bunch of fairy tales and made-up stories.

Yes, a couple of the stories are problematic from our perspective (Noah, Jonah), but some of that could be simply a matter of perspective and literary style. The preponderance of archeological evidence is just too great to pass it all off as fairy tale.

• Members

This isn't American Idol, is it? Damn, you really have an issue with me. Are you jealous or just a dick?

J-Man sure can play circles around you and I both, so he isn't jealous... I know he isn't a dick as well... He is just honest Doc.

Gary

• Members

I can tell from your comments that you haven't experienced a church with a good worship program. I truly hope you get a chance to do so simply to educate yourself if nothing else. It will change your preconceptions.

Another thing that I would encourage you to do is to investigate the history of the Jewish people. I'm not talking about the creation story. I'm talking about the history of the Egyptian, Babylonian, Persian, Grecian and Roman Empires as recorded in the Old Testament. Check out what archeologists have found and how they coincide with the recorded history. There's a remarkable body of evidence to support the plight of the Israelites. Then consider the evidence surrounding the life of Jesus of Nazareth. All of these events occurred; it's not a bunch of fairy tales and made-up stories.

Yes, a couple of the stories are problematic from our perspective (Noah, Jonah), but some of that could be simply a matter of perspective and literary style. The preponderance of archeological evidence is just too great to pass it all off as fairy tale.

Sorry Doc but you are talking to a humanist/buddhist.I have read and studied. You got nothing but smoke, mirrors and stories. However I respect it is your belief system so enjoy it.

I still don't believe they noticed a change in your tone though.;)

• Members

J-Man sure can play circles around you and I both, so he isn't jealous... I know he isn't a dick as well... He is just honest Doc.

Gary

riffy, I thought YOU play circles around me (you do). And incidently my comment wasn't about doc.

Doc, for the record, I have well over 11,000 posts here and not five of them had harsh words directed at a forumite about his posted efforts. Many beginning players have, from the start, ideas or even skills that i'm still working on or have yet to discover. So your comment about "american idol", some kind of elitism or whatever you implied was utterly unfounded. Just saying.

Archived