Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've kept out of this until now, but I'll weigh in, however unsteadily.

I am/was a regular of both EG and GJ, from the time I joined HC in 2006. Most of you probably aren't aware of me, because I fly under the radar and I don't ruffle people's feathers. I try hard to make my posts informative and mostly serious, although in GJ I've been able to let loose sometimes.

I have tried to stay engaged in the forums since the January meltdown, but it's been hard, partly because of the awkward (although stable, admittedly) new forum software, and mostly because that awkwardness has resulted in a major exodus of many of the knowledgeable people we had in those forums.

The fact is that it's been almost five months since the old HC disappeared, and this new HC still feels like it's in beta, and we're the beta testers. It's hard not to feel frustrated by the slow progress. A lot of people have simply given up and are finding other solutions. Some of those alternatives, like Guitar Amp Board, are thriving in the face of HC's continuing struggles.

And to make a bit of a confession, I have hardly played my guitars at all since January. My attention has been diverted by other things -- my growing family and my writing projects, primarily -- and the problems with HC were a catalyst for that. For years, HC was a daily, often hourly obsession. I spent countless work hours in front of HC, when I should have been, well, working. This place inspired me to pick up guitars again (after many years away from them), and it continued to feed that addiction to gear and my "sound" and playing and having fun. The meltdown forced me to reevaluate my priorities. I relegated my guitar obsession to where it probably should be: a nice hobby I can spend a few hours a week at, maybe, but no more than that. So you can count me as one of the intangibles. I'm now spending less time here, because the end of the previous HC and the rebirth of a new HC have taken away that addictive quality I thrived on. And I'm afraid that may never return. I'm still here trying to see the glass as half full, but there seems to be less and less left in the glass.

I wanted to address the PG-13 issue and the "opt in" issue, but that may have to wait. In a nutshell, I think both are restrictive and not constructive. The goal should be to rebuild this community we used to have, not to stifle participation. Both of those changes do nothing to rebuild HC, IMO. They segregate rather than integrate, and I'm not convinced that's the stuff of a thriving community.

Originally Posted by csm

The first, and most frequently violated rule of punk is: THERE ARE NO RULES.

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." — David Gilmour

Fender :: Gibson :: Epiphone :: Ibanez :: Yamaha
    Blackstar :: Orange :: Vox

Comment

Well, this thread is turning into a nice ****-slinging match.

Executive Administrator Of The Dick Long Association Of World Class Achievement Forumites SocietyRock-**************** your Ear-Clit here : SPIDROS EL SPIDRO

Comment

• DaveAronow
        DaveAronow commented
        Editing a comment

Nicholai, I appreciate your opinion and yes, you are absolutely invited to say what you like or don't like about the forum, past or present.  I only wanted to let you know that some of your gripes have recently been addressed and without having to explain it all to you myself, I just wanted to let you know where to find the info for yourself so you can draw your own conclusions.

But aside from that, I am not seeing any of the problems you are now specifically talking about with ads and such. I mean zero.  I wonder if anyone else is having similar trouble but I don't even have a clue what you are talking about as I have seen nothing like that.

Well most pg-13 movies suck but this one thread, thanks Dave, has me interested enough to stop in and check the progress. I remember back then getting in late from a gig and firing up the laptop just to see what all I missed........ Even many of the troll posts were fun to read..

Dave, thanks again

FREE BATOTMAN

1955 Tele Partsocaster Korina Amber
      2007 Carvin V220 Green Machine
      1983 Gibson Custom Shop Edition Schenker reject
      1989 Fender Telecaster Custom Deluxe Ultra
      1968 Fender Telecaster
      2007 Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
      1997 Fender Pink Paisley

59 Fender Bassman
      Marshall JCM 800
      Marshall Studio 15
      Marshall 1976
      Marshall Silver Jubilee
      Orange Tiny Terror
      Orange Rocker 30
      Carvin Vintage 16

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=892909

SURVIVOR

Comment

@Dougy (using the built in high tech automated quote feature)

Well, this thread is turning into a nice ****-slinging match.

------------------------------

Maybe there's a little life left in the old forum after all?

We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

Now fuk off.
          We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

Ha ha Nicolai has some advertising malware, and blames Dendy for it!
            Don't pick a fight with an old man,
            If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

'' Who, me Officer?''

Comment

• noisebloom
              noisebloom commented
              Editing a comment

knotty wrote:
              Ha ha Nicolai has some advertising malware, and blames Dendy for it!

That's pretty much what I thought, too.

I leave here for a couple years, and look what you guys allowed to happen while I was gone!

Where is JJ Pistols?

peace pot purple micro dot

Comment

• GilmourD
              GilmourD commented
              Editing a comment

CrackerD wrote:

I leave here for a couple years, and look what you guys allowed to happen while I was gone!

Where is JJ Pistols?

I wish I knew where JJ was. Does anybody know his real name? We could find him on Facebook.

Speaking of Facebook, I started an HCEG group on there, just in case HC suddenly were to disappear or something. There's a bunch of us carrying on conversations there. You're more than welcome to join.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9fv5tt56K1qajic1o1_500.jpg

Please explain to me how I have advertising malware on my iPhone? I don't have any of my home computer either this is the only one that has a box pop up with the coupon for guitar center every **** page. Jesus guys drink the Kool-Aid
            Originally Posted by csm

You get a limited-edition self-relic'ing guitar at no extra cost and you're COMPLAINING?

[Insert religious affiliation political party and or spiritual belief here]

57 Gibson Cg-530, 66 Teisco Mosrite "clone", 78 Rickenbacker something or other, 80's St. Blues, Classic Vibe 60's strat, Fender Blacktop HH strat, Switch Sig Stein, Switch Tele style, Austin SG, Yamaha something, lol.
            Vox Ampeg Peavey Hartke Bogen and Bugera amps, every tube pedal i can find. Muff. Loopers.

Comment

• noisebloom
              noisebloom commented
              Editing a comment

nicholai wrote:
              Please explain to me how I have advertising malware on my iPhone? I don't have any of my home computer either this is the only one that has a box pop up with the coupon for guitar center every **** page. Jesus guys drink the Kool-Aid

Two guys (including myself) thought you might have advertising malware on your computer (iPhone, sorry!) and you're shooting the messenger?

If that's the way you want it, figure it out for yourself and stop honking about it. Dendy already said HC wasn't the culprit, and no one else is bitching about it.

• audionet
              audionet commented
              Editing a comment

nicholai wrote:

On your iPhone go into Settings>Privacy>Location Services> Scroll down to...

System Services and turn OFF Location-Based iAds

Then go into General>About>Scroll down to...

Advertising and turn OFF Limit Ad Tracking

This will solve your issue.

The Facebook group is pretty cool I can vouch for
            Originally Posted by csm

You get a limited-edition self-relic'ing guitar at no extra cost and you're COMPLAINING?

57 Gibson Cg-530, 66 Teisco Mosrite "clone", 78 Rickenbacker something or other, 80's St. Blues, Classic Vibe 60's strat, Fender Blacktop HH strat, Switch Sig Stein, Switch Tele style, Austin SG, Yamaha something, lol.
            Vox Ampeg Peavey Hartke Bogen and Bugera amps, every tube pedal i can find. Muff. Loopers.

Comment

Sorry for the triple post it's hard to edit from my iPhone another complaint. I appreciate all the years I had fun here. They are irreplaceable. I wish you guys the best rebuilding but I'm not really sure what to say It might happen in time but forms are quickly moving to Facebook it's kind of weird I don't know what is next.

No one else has a guitar center ad come up every single page on this forum now? I don't have any pop-up ads anywhere else.
              Originally Posted by csm

Comment

I have no ads whatsoever on my android phone.

Comment

No popups here on my iPhone.

I joined the Facebook group. It's not a replacement, but it feels way more like a community. People behave more like you would expect in real life than cyber behavior.
                  Originally Posted by wedgehed II

Instead of searching for intelligent life in the universe, NASA should send a probe to this thread.

Comment

You don't "find" someone like JJ.

JJ finds you when he's good and ready.

"You people keep on raining. I'll still be the parade." - Diamond Dave.

TO HEAR MY COUNTRY BAND: ADRIAN RAY, click THIS or this

Official endorsee of:Breedlove Guitars

http://www.ghsstrings.com

http://www.rocktron.com

http://www.monsterenergy.com/

Myspace.com-Dave Aronow

Comment

This place isn't the culprit why are the ads only for companies owned by them? I don't get that anywhere else. Sorry I use a real browser on my phone instead of the crap that comes bundled with it. Same thing at my home computer so no one else gets ads? I'll Take pictures of them later but I really don't post here anymore anyways
                      Originally Posted by csm

Comment

• GilmourD
                        GilmourD commented
                        Editing a comment

nicholai wrote:
                        This place isn't the culprit why are the ads only for companies owned by them? I don't get that anywhere else. Sorry I use a real browser on my phone instead of the crap that comes bundled with it. Same thing at my home computer so no one else gets ads? I'll Take pictures of them later but I really don't post here anymore anyways

There's an ad on the top and an ad on the bottom. That's really fairly unobtrusive as far as web advertising goes. Half the time I forget the bottom ad is there because I just don't scroll down that far. In fact, it's not on all pages, either.

Sorry no one else is annoyed. But the tons of users left for some reason......
                      Originally Posted by csm

Comment

• knotty
                        knotty commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Are you still here?

• BG76
                        BG76 commented
                        Editing a comment

A huge part of the problem isn't HC, but the HCEG forum. If you look at the effects forum there is a lot of activity. Sure, it's not what it was, but there are always new posts and more of a community spirit.

In my opinion, over the years HCEG has not really followed the rules. There were a few years where this became the Gutar Fetish forum (I liked Jay Fetish once I got to know him but it was out of control), although there doesn't seem to be much love for them anymore. Not sure why.  This place has always given the impression that there are tons of shills here. For example, there was another pickup winder who was given card blanche to advertise on here as well.

The rules need to be the same for everyone and they were pretty clear about what manufacturers were/were not allowed to post. 

Couple that with the fact that mods of this forum made some pretty sick "jokes" regarding people of certain ethnicities and it's easy to see why there is not much activity here.

There really should be a change in the mods on HCEG. Phil does a great job in the effects section. I think someone like him would really do a lot to turn things around.

Just my 2 cents.

Working...
                    X