what distortion pedals did hendrix use?

mbengs1

• Members

i read he used the electro harmonix big muff in his early career then a dallas arbiter fuzz face later. that's it? i'd like to get his rock tone. i plan to do a hendrix tribute album, i think getting the right pedals will be the way to get that hendrix style sound.

• Members

He couldn't have used a Big muff before 1970 because the first Big Muff wasn't sold till 1970. Hendrix dies that same year so it seems highly unlikely he used one. Famous musicians often get gear given to them as part of an advertisement endorsement, but I can say, It took several years before they hit music stores. I didn't start seeing them in music stores till around 1974.

He didn't change his pedals a whole lot. Maybe because there weren't that many pedals to choose from during the 60's. I know he used Roger Mayer Octavia Pedal later on with the Band of Gypsy's album and the Axis Fuzz was made by Roger Mayer for Hendrix during 1967, just before he records Axis Bold as Love.

I suspect some mistake the Axis Fuzz for a Big Muff. The pedal was a prototype and the box shape looks like a Big Muff box as you can see B in this picture.

fetch?filedataid=124491

This is what Hendrix used at Woodstock.

fetch?filedataid=124490

• Members

Maestro Fuzz Tone

Jimi_james_Cheetah_club_NYC_66_CrtsKnt&Sqrs_Maestro_fuzztone.jpg

EH/Guild Foxey Lady (similar to a Mosrite Fuzzrite - not a Big Muff)

qp79xk2.jpg

Marshall SupaFuzz (an early version of the Sola Sound build - unless a recording surfaces, or perhaps the pedal itself, it's impossible to know whether this has the Tone Bender MkI or the MkII circuit inside)

p7y30Kp.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

An octavia type pedal with switchable octave could be a fine addition.

Although not Hendrix, Eric Johnson brought up a key point or two in a rig rundown regarding the way the amp is dialed in before adding fuzz at the two minute mark...

• Members

Funny you say that because I just went on a quest for fuzz and the one I really DO want is the Maestro since it is the quintessential FZ-1 circuit. I read that is what the Stones used on Satisfaction, and it sounds a lot like the one in "Born to be Wild" but no idea what Steppenwolf actually used. I wanted to like the Fuzzface, since they are easy to get, but it just doesn't do it for me. I bought a ZVEX Fuzz Factory and am not very thrilled with it. Still looking for THAT fuzz sound in my head....

Funny you say that because I just went on a quest for fuzz and the one I really DO want is the Maestro since it is the quintessential FZ-1 circuit. I read that is what the Stones used on Satisfaction, and it sounds a lot like the one in "Born to be Wild" but no idea what Steppenwolf actually used. I wanted to like the Fuzzface, since they are easy to get, but it just doesn't do it for me. I bought a ZVEX Fuzz Factory and am not very thrilled with it. Still looking for THAT fuzz sound in my head....

You're right - the FZ-1 was what the Stones used on Satisfaction.

If you get a Maestro FZ-1, the sustain isn't very heavy or long - that was the main complaint that the English guitarists had and that led to the development of the Tone Bender. Of course, there's a variety of different Tone Bender variations and versions, so there's no single Tone Bender "sound", but it's another family of fuzzes to investigate. The Fuzzface is, in fact a variation on one of the Tone Bender circuits... but again, don't let that dissuade you from investigating the other Tone Bender versions, since they can sound quite different.

Archived