Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you played in school band or music programs?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I could have been in a high school music program... I guess I never had the ambition or even the interest at that time. I think the closest I got was playing chimes in 5th and 6th grade. I think I played C and C#. I can't remember. Got hooked on guitar in 8th grade, did the lessons thing all through high school and eventually attended clown colle... I mean guitar college (GIT). It was a pretty amazing experience. Now I've been experimenting with band kid type things (CATS and a wedding gig).
    Past (soon to be present hopefully) Youtube Vids

youtube.com/tronus98

Comment

Played drums in the high school jazz band. Learned a lot of great stuff, although I didn't really enjoy it at the time. Then they told me I couldn't do jazz band if I wasn't in the school marching band, so after my junior year I said "**************** this" and got my GED. Best decision I ever made.

Comment

Played drums in the high school jazz band. Learned a lot of great stuff, although I didn't really enjoy it at the time. Then they told me I couldn't do jazz band if I wasn't in the school marching band, so after my junior year I said "**************** this" and got my GED. Best decision I ever made.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by roquero
          View Post

I wonder to this day what my horn arrangement sounded like when it was actually played by a real horn section!

Do you still have the score? If so, putting it into a DAW wouldn't be all that difficult, and would give you an idea of what it sounded like. Obviously, getting a real horn section to work it up would be even better. Maybe hit up one of the local colleges and see if you can get a few horn players to play it for you. If you offered them pizza and beer, I'll bet they'd jump at the opportunity.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by roquero
            View Post

I wonder to this day what my horn arrangement sounded like when it was actually played by a real horn section!

Do you still have the score? If so, putting it into a DAW wouldn't be all that difficult, and would give you an idea of what it sounded like. Obviously, getting a real horn section to work it up would be even better. Maybe hit up one of the local colleges and see if you can get a few horn players to play it for you. If you offered them pizza and beer, I'll bet they'd jump at the opportunity.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I played trombone in from 5th-6th grade, but then I taught myself to play guitar, and sold off my trombone to buy guitar stuff. I was in jazz band and concert band from 7th grade until I finished high school.
              Blakemore Effects (I now sell Dr. Scientist and DMB pedals in addition to my own.)
              My pedal company.
              Facebook page for Blakemore Effects

Comment

I played trombone in from 5th-6th grade, but then I taught myself to play guitar, and sold off my trombone to buy guitar stuff. I was in jazz band and concert band from 7th grade until I finished high school.
                Blakemore Effects (I now sell Dr. Scientist and DMB pedals in addition to my own.)
                My pedal company.
                Facebook page for Blakemore Effects

Comment

In 5th grade I played alto sax. I lived in Orlando that year (long story) and went to a Christian private school. In 5th and 6th you were required to pick a band instrument. I moved after 5th and didn't keep up but I did enjoy it.

I remember nothing except how quickly I picked up reading music and the different fingerings. I should have stuck with it.
                  Sometimes you follow your heart. Sometimes your heart cuts a fart. That's the cosmic shame.Charvel So Cals More Guitars Amp PedalsMy Band Site w/ Player

Comment

In 5th grade I played alto sax. I lived in Orlando that year (long story) and went to a Christian private school. In 5th and 6th you were required to pick a band instrument. I moved after 5th and didn't keep up but I did enjoy it.

I remember nothing except how quickly I picked up reading music and the different fingerings. I should have stuck with it.
                    Sometimes you follow your heart. Sometimes your heart cuts a fart. That's the cosmic shame.Charvel So Cals More Guitars Amp PedalsMy Band Site w/ Player

Comment

Yeah I started on trumpet in 4th grade, but switched to tuba at the end of 6th because we needed a tuba player and it was more comfortable for me because I had braces. I really liked playing tuba, played in concert band all through to the end of high school. We didn't have a marching band at my high school, (although we had a pep band that was made up of the concert band, just sitting in the stands playing) just focused on concert band, did all the festivals and that hoopla. Took music theory my senior year of high school for fun too and also did some solo competitions and stuff on tuba.

It was a blast, I was lucky to have really good and fun band directors as well as a bunch of friends who all stuck with band stuff through high school. Some good memories there for sure. Unfortunately I gave it up when I went to college and because tubas are wicked expensive I never bought one to keep my chops up. Definitely miss it.
                      --------------------------------------
                      Poppin' Fresh

"I can rock the mic to silence by John Cage,
                      With the arty flavor, I shoot the gift like a party favor..."

Comment

i played trumpet from 7th grade until i graduated. i guess i liked it well enough. i dont think trumpet was my calling. i grew to hate it later in high school because my band director was such an ****************************. the day i graduated i traded my trumpet for my dunlop dc brick. and its been under my board for 4 1/2 years now.

i think one thing being in an ensemble taught me is that it is really important and that i'm beginning to realize not everyone else is aware of is that tuning is important. not just being in tune with yourself but with everyone else's instrument as well.

it became a force of habit to listen to the person to my left to make sure i was in tune with him. so many people i've dealt with in bands don't think like that and have no idea how bad it makes the group sound.

Comment

first instrument was trombone. picked up bass later on, played both in multiple jazz bands at state levels all the way through high school. i seriously miss doing jazz gigs . Definitly the best thing that i ever did as a musician. I really learned about orchestration and improv that I probably wouldn't have learned elsewhere. defintily shaped my playing, even on guitar

Comment

Played percussion in middle-school. Quickly switched to guitar once I got in high school. I took every music class my high school had to offer. I was in Symphonic band, pep band, marching band, pit orchestra, jazz band, and my own blues cover band... All on guitar. I also joined choir as an upperclassman, and when I was a senior I had some holes in my schedule, so I joined the freshman band and taught myself how to play tuba. Tuba was fun as hell.

My school only offered a beginning guitar class, so I took that... four years in a row. I had the same teacher for all the band and guitar classes. He was a great guy. Super nice, but a little too nice to turn a bunch of lazy kids into a legitimate orchestra. But if you listened and asked questions, he'd teach you everything you needed to know. I learned a lot from him.

I graduated high school with the John Philip Sousa Award.
                            Don't Sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things

Comment

I also played the clarinet in 7-9th grade. I was never very good. I broke the mouthpiece once and the replacement never worked as well. In college I picked up a flute in a trade and learned to play it a bit on my own. Unfortunately I've never had any natural music talent. But I finally picked up the guitar at 50 and now I'm really enjoying playing an instrument. Still not very good, but happy to enjoy my hobby. Still got the flute and give it a go every now and then.
                              "I used my psychic powers to investigate this and found it to be hogwash. I hate it when people make claims with no basis in science."

"If a problem is too difficult to understand the solution is to placate your ignorance with denial."

Tasty Licks
                              Secret Moment

Comment

I tried to get into band class in grade school. Figured it was a good way to get out of homeroom for an hour.

Told them I wanted to learn Clarinet or Coronet. I didn't know the difference, the names just sounded cool.

Things didn't work out because my mom (7 years classically trained pianist) didn't want to buy me a mouthpiece and reed for clarinet, nor the sheet music.

youtube
                                soundclick

Deals: Tron Murphy, hangwire, renula, AimmarCair, Urinate Forever, ck3

Comment

Working...
                                X