How many of you played in school band or music programs?

Phil O'Keefe

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Played violin and then saxophone from third grade through high school. Was very lucky in that I had very cool band directors, especially in middle school and high school. My high school music teacher introduced me to Chick Corea, Keith Emerson, John Coltrane and all kinds of great music, while giving me enough music theory to keep me going for the next few decades.

• Members

Played violin and then saxophone from third grade through high school. Was very lucky in that I had very cool band directors, especially in middle school and high school. My high school music teacher introduced me to Chick Corea, Keith Emerson, John Coltrane and all kinds of great music, while giving me enough music theory to keep me going for the next few decades.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

Do you still have the score? If so, putting it into a DAW wouldn't be all that difficult, and would give you an idea of what it sounded like. Obviously, getting a real horn section to work it up would be even better. Maybe hit up one of the local colleges and see if you can get a few horn players to play it for you. If you offered them pizza and beer, I'll bet they'd jump at the opportunity. icon_lol.gif

Great idea, Phil! I am not sure if I still have it. I'll have to dig through the archives.

And here in Tijuana, I can probably offer something less than pizza and beer to get some local players to play it! idea.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

Do you still have the score? If so, putting it into a DAW wouldn't be all that difficult, and would give you an idea of what it sounded like. Obviously, getting a real horn section to work it up would be even better. Maybe hit up one of the local colleges and see if you can get a few horn players to play it for you. If you offered them pizza and beer, I'll bet they'd jump at the opportunity. icon_lol.gif

Great idea, Phil! I am not sure if I still have it. I'll have to dig through the archives.

And here in Tijuana, I can probably offer something less than pizza and beer to get some local players to play it! idea.gif

• Members

I played trumpet from 6th - 12th grade, usually 2nd or 3rd chair in a section of 20+ .... we had a fairly big program, so maybe 2 orchestras of 130 - 160, plus a military style marching band. I loved it. Wish I still had a trumpet.

I did mess around with a friends coronet recently, and i could still remember the scales but my embouchure was nonexistant.

• Members

I played trumpet from 6th - 12th grade, usually 2nd or 3rd chair in a section of 20+ .... we had a fairly big program, so maybe 2 orchestras of 130 - 160, plus a military style marching band. I loved it. Wish I still had a trumpet.

I did mess around with a friends coronet recently, and i could still remember the scales but my embouchure was nonexistant.

• Members

I played alto and bari sax in all the ensembles my high school offered so I'd get to play everyday and I loved it. Didn't really think I was technically good enough to pursue it in college but after my first year I was like {censored} this music is the only thing I'm going to be motivated enough to actually spend time on so I switched to the music program. At this point I'm planning on focusing on Music Ed because the guy who ran the band program at my HS was awesome and taught me how to actually listen to what everyone else is playing. Plus I think it would be fun to get to do my own arrangements and basically just have a band to play whatever I want haha.

• Members

I played alto and bari sax in all the ensembles my high school offered so I'd get to play everyday and I loved it. Didn't really think I was technically good enough to pursue it in college but after my first year I was like {censored} this music is the only thing I'm going to be motivated enough to actually spend time on so I switched to the music program. At this point I'm planning on focusing on Music Ed because the guy who ran the band program at my HS was awesome and taught me how to actually listen to what everyone else is playing. Plus I think it would be fun to get to do my own arrangements and basically just have a band to play whatever I want haha.

• Members

In my freshman year in high school my school experimented with a new elective class they called "pop/rock workshop". I had gotten my first acoustic guitar over the summer and learned some chords, and also learned to strum a bunch of songs I liked from my mother's piano books (couldn't read music, but I could read the chord markings above the staff), so I tried out for the class and was selected.

There were four guitarists in the class, and I was the only one with an acoustic, so I asked my parents for an electric guitar for Christmas. They came through with a cheap Teisco spinoff brand guitar and 15W amp, which I played for the remainder of the school year.

We were going to be performing at a school assembly that spring, and the teacher told us all to go home and write a song. She said she'd pick the best one and we'd all learn to play it for the assembly, along with the assortment of pop tunes we were already practicing. I was the only one who actually went home and finished a song, so that's what we played.

They canceled the class after that first year, mainly because of complaints from other teachers about that end of the building being too loud during the last period every day. I played at a couple of school talent shows, and my band played at a couple of dances, but I never took another music class.

• Members

In my freshman year in high school my school experimented with a new elective class they called "pop/rock workshop". I had gotten my first acoustic guitar over the summer and learned some chords, and also learned to strum a bunch of songs I liked from my mother's piano books (couldn't read music, but I could read the chord markings above the staff), so I tried out for the class and was selected.

There were four guitarists in the class, and I was the only one with an acoustic, so I asked my parents for an electric guitar for Christmas. They came through with a cheap Teisco spinoff brand guitar and 15W amp, which I played for the remainder of the school year.

We were going to be performing at a school assembly that spring, and the teacher told us all to go home and write a song. She said she'd pick the best one and we'd all learn to play it for the assembly, along with the assortment of pop tunes we were already practicing. I was the only one who actually went home and finished a song, so that's what we played.

They canceled the class after that first year, mainly because of complaints from other teachers about that end of the building being too loud during the last period every day. I played at a couple of school talent shows, and my band played at a couple of dances, but I never took another music class.

• Members

born '58, into a musicianless family in Corvallis, OR.

age 7: started/dropped guitar (private lessons w/absolute {censored}e instructor who taught strict Mel Bay), lasted 3 months. Scale Fael.

Harmony Stella. Neck that only a fullgrown hand can love (which I do now, but not back then).

3rd/4th grade: self-taught for a couple years...picked what I liked from Mel Bay books, canned the rest.

Started listening to Sweet Baby James (album), Tea for the Tillerman, and The Dillards.

Developed a combo-style of fingerpicking and ham-fisted chord-banging.

5th/6thgrade: played the trombone on the gradeschool band...one of only two trombonists, there was not much competition nor

were we taught very much technique... the coronets and sax sections (8-10 each) got all the attention.

7th grade middle school: landed in a 100 piece band... 7 trombones. I was run out within 3 weeks by an instructor who did not realize the potential in my Dizzy Gillespie-like cheek technique. The musical vacuum was filled with the guitar.. my mother found a fullsize Harmony Sovereign, used. This continued my legacy of playing big, clunky necks with small hands.

10th grade: family had moved to Roseburg ("Lumber Capitol of The World") in the mid-70's. Heavy influences were Kiss, Alice Cooper, Slade, ZZ Top, Capn BiffHeart and Zappa. Bought a massive Teisco 4 pickup guitar (quite possibly a baritone) and played a combo of classic pieces (eg Jesu, Joy of Man Desiring) and Kiss, Slade covers in a small garage band that went nowhere rxcept into the alley to get high. Faeled in my first "music to get laid" effort.

BUT, I got to play for a year in the High School Jazz Lab band...having that huge neck/small hands thing going, I could sling out little jazz chords all up and down the neck with ease...absolute suckage at lead, tho. But played a ton of Woody Hite/Woody Herman stuff, plus covers of Chicago and a few other impressive pieces (for the time). Used my trusty Silvertone 1485 (4 x 6L6GC ftw, baby !!!). The keyboardist worked at the local music shop so he sported a B3 + Clavinet ... also would "borrow" any pedal he could walk out with, so I got into a Morley Wah (Giant Chrome version). I also bought a Mutron III, to complete the funkification.

Sadly (and mercifully) I was replaced by a far better 11th grade guitarist who moved into town, bringing with him a '66 SG and a '59 LP Jr (dble-cut/suicide neck, dusty-red)...the guy was very adept at all the rock-blues cliches at age 15, and blew me right off the roster. His name was Robert Johnson... I do not keed. I had no chance. He later went on to become a very good Shakti-acoustic player, from what I hear...no idea wht happened to him after that.

After graduating and going to college, I became an acoustic-only guy for decades...mostly due to apartment life, then having kids/family stuffz.

It's only since about 1995 that I got back into the electric.

The Teisco is long gone.

The 1485 head (sans cheeseball chipboard shell) still exists.

I think my nother threw away the Mutron, not knowing what it was...it had been in her garage for over a decade.

• Members

born '58, into a musicianless family in Corvallis, OR.

age 7: started/dropped guitar (private lessons w/absolute {censored}e instructor who taught strict Mel Bay), lasted 3 months. Scale Fael.

Harmony Stella. Neck that only a fullgrown hand can love (which I do now, but not back then).

3rd/4th grade: self-taught for a couple years...picked what I liked from Mel Bay books, canned the rest.

Started listening to Sweet Baby James (album), Tea for the Tillerman, and The Dillards.

Developed a combo-style of fingerpicking and ham-fisted chord-banging.

5th/6thgrade: played the trombone on the gradeschool band...one of only two trombonists, there was not much competition nor

were we taught very much technique... the coronets and sax sections (8-10 each) got all the attention.

7th grade middle school: landed in a 100 piece band... 7 trombones. I was run out within 3 weeks by an instructor who did not realize the potential in my Dizzy Gillespie-like cheek technique. The musical vacuum was filled with the guitar.. my mother found a fullsize Harmony Sovereign, used. This continued my legacy of playing big, clunky necks with small hands.

10th grade: family had moved to Roseburg ("Lumber Capitol of The World") in the mid-70's. Heavy influences were Kiss, Alice Cooper, Slade, ZZ Top, Capn BiffHeart and Zappa. Bought a massive Teisco 4 pickup guitar (quite possibly a baritone) and played a combo of classic pieces (eg Jesu, Joy of Man Desiring) and Kiss, Slade covers in a small garage band that went nowhere rxcept into the alley to get high. Faeled in my first "music to get laid" effort.

BUT, I got to play for a year in the High School Jazz Lab band...having that huge neck/small hands thing going, I could sling out little jazz chords all up and down the neck with ease...absolute suckage at lead, tho. But played a ton of Woody Hite/Woody Herman stuff, plus covers of Chicago and a few other impressive pieces (for the time). Used my trusty Silvertone 1485 (4 x 6L6GC ftw, baby !!!). The keyboardist worked at the local music shop so he sported a B3 + Clavinet ... also would "borrow" any pedal he could walk out with, so I got into a Morley Wah (Giant Chrome version). I also bought a Mutron III, to complete the funkification.

Sadly (and mercifully) I was replaced by a far better 11th grade guitarist who moved into town, bringing with him a '66 SG and a '59 LP Jr (dble-cut/suicide neck, dusty-red)...the guy was very adept at all the rock-blues cliches at age 15, and blew me right off the roster. His name was Robert Johnson... I do not keed. I had no chance. He later went on to become a very good Shakti-acoustic player, from what I hear...no idea wht happened to him after that.

After graduating and going to college, I became an acoustic-only guy for decades...mostly due to apartment life, then having kids/family stuffz.

It's only since about 1995 that I got back into the electric.

The Teisco is long gone.

The 1485 head (sans cheeseball chipboard shell) still exists.

I think my nother threw away the Mutron, not knowing what it was...it had been in her garage for over a decade.

• Members

I played recorder in 3rd or 4th grade (the whole class did) then the next year took up flute. I took flute lessons at school and privately and started writing songs when I was about 10. My band director laughed when I was writing scores during morning rehearsal and then was like...actually...that's not bad...

Continued on this way playing classical/art music flute and also sang in church choir. Played in a lot of state ensembles as well. In high school I was in concert and marching band and eventually took up piccolo after our piccolo player graduated. I also started to learn bass when some guys from the band wanted to play rock. Eventually moved to acoustic guitar then electric. All this time i was also composing on daws (since about age 10). Took music theory in HS with the aim of being a music teacher but switched to English instead. Kept doing music privately/with others all through college and grad school.

• Members

I played recorder in 3rd or 4th grade (the whole class did) then the next year took up flute. I took flute lessons at school and privately and started writing songs when I was about 10. My band director laughed when I was writing scores during morning rehearsal and then was like...actually...that's not bad...

Continued on this way playing classical/art music flute and also sang in church choir. Played in a lot of state ensembles as well. In high school I was in concert and marching band and eventually took up piccolo after our piccolo player graduated. I also started to learn bass when some guys from the band wanted to play rock. Eventually moved to acoustic guitar then electric. All this time i was also composing on daws (since about age 10). Took music theory in HS with the aim of being a music teacher but switched to English instead. Kept doing music privately/with others all through college and grad school.

I did. My step mother was a semi-professional trumpet player in the 70's who played at home when I was still a kid in the 70's and 80's. I started on violin in the 4th grade and played a variety of other band instruments from the 5th grade to graduating high school. I started playing guitar around the 9th grade though and thats what I went to college for.

I did. My step mother was a semi-professional trumpet player in the 70's who played at home when I was still a kid in the 70's and 80's. I started on violin in the 4th grade and played a variety of other band instruments from the 5th grade to graduating high school. I started playing guitar around the 9th grade though and thats what I went to college for.

• Members

oh yeah, I forgot to mention:

In the 5th and 6th grades, I was part of a 50+ voice Boys Chorus at Harding Elementary in Corvallis.

We were not 'hand picked' voices...it was all the boys of that age.

Our instructor was a lady by the name of Joyce Eilers, who later went on to some level of notoriety and success in the college-level chorale teaching, writing world. She taught us, a real ragtag group, to sing exacting 3 and 4 part harmonies that were decidedly NOT barbershop material (NOT everyone on a third).

Somehow, she convinced an educational record label to record/press a few hundred vinyl albums of us...one for each year in the 5 th and 6th grades.

I'm pretty sure my mother still has those. I gotta gett'em onto more modern media.

Archived