How many of you played in school band or music programs?

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

Played trumpet for a couple years, it was too hard so I quit. I think guitar players have it easy physically.

Took a guitar class in 8th grade which ultimately had me hooked. It was basically just nylon string classical guitars learning notes and stuff.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Played trumpet for a couple years, it was too hard so I quit. I think guitar players have it easy physically.

Took a guitar class in 8th grade which ultimately had me hooked. It was basically just nylon string classical guitars learning notes and stuff.

• Members

I wish I could have been in a high school music program... I guess I never had the ambition or even the interest at that time. I think the closest I got was playing chimes in 5th and 6th grade. I think I played C and C#. I can't remember. Got hooked on guitar in 8th grade, did the lessons thing all through high school and eventually attended clown colle... I mean guitar college (GIT). It was a pretty amazing experience. Now I've been experimenting with band kid type things (CATS and a wedding gig).

• Members

I wish I could have been in a high school music program... I guess I never had the ambition or even the interest at that time. I think the closest I got was playing chimes in 5th and 6th grade. I think I played C and C#. I can't remember. Got hooked on guitar in 8th grade, did the lessons thing all through high school and eventually attended clown colle... I mean guitar college (GIT). It was a pretty amazing experience. Now I've been experimenting with band kid type things (CATS and a wedding gig).

Quote Originally Posted by roquero

View Post

I wonder to this day what my horn arrangement sounded like when it was actually played by a real horn section! idea.gif

Do you still have the score? If so, putting it into a DAW wouldn't be all that difficult, and would give you an idea of what it sounded like. Obviously, getting a real horn section to work it up would be even better. Maybe hit up one of the local colleges and see if you can get a few horn players to play it for you. If you offered them pizza and beer, I'll bet they'd jump at the opportunity. icon_lol.gif

Quote Originally Posted by roquero

View Post

I wonder to this day what my horn arrangement sounded like when it was actually played by a real horn section! idea.gif

Do you still have the score? If so, putting it into a DAW wouldn't be all that difficult, and would give you an idea of what it sounded like. Obviously, getting a real horn section to work it up would be even better. Maybe hit up one of the local colleges and see if you can get a few horn players to play it for you. If you offered them pizza and beer, I'll bet they'd jump at the opportunity. icon_lol.gif

• Members

In 5th grade I played alto sax. I lived in Orlando that year (long story) and went to a Christian private school. In 5th and 6th you were required to pick a band instrument. I moved after 5th and didn't keep up but I did enjoy it.

I remember nothing except how quickly I picked up reading music and the different fingerings. I should have stuck with it.

• Members

In 5th grade I played alto sax. I lived in Orlando that year (long story) and went to a Christian private school. In 5th and 6th you were required to pick a band instrument. I moved after 5th and didn't keep up but I did enjoy it.

I remember nothing except how quickly I picked up reading music and the different fingerings. I should have stuck with it.

• Members

Yeah I started on trumpet in 4th grade, but switched to tuba at the end of 6th because we needed a tuba player and it was more comfortable for me because I had braces. I really liked playing tuba, played in concert band all through to the end of high school. We didn't have a marching band at my high school, (although we had a pep band that was made up of the concert band, just sitting in the stands playing) just focused on concert band, did all the festivals and that hoopla. Took music theory my senior year of high school for fun too and also did some solo competitions and stuff on tuba.

It was a blast, I was lucky to have really good and fun band directors as well as a bunch of friends who all stuck with band stuff through high school. Some good memories there for sure. Unfortunately I gave it up when I went to college and because tubas are wicked expensive I never bought one to keep my chops up. Definitely miss it.

• Members

i played trumpet from 7th grade until i graduated. i guess i liked it well enough. i dont think trumpet was my calling. i grew to hate it later in high school because my band director was such an asshole. the day i graduated i traded my trumpet for my dunlop dc brick. and its been under my board for 4 1/2 years now.

i think one thing being in an ensemble taught me is that it is really important and that i'm beginning to realize not everyone else is aware of is that tuning is important. not just being in tune with yourself but with everyone else's instrument as well.

it became a force of habit to listen to the person to my left to make sure i was in tune with him. so many people i've dealt with in bands don't think like that and have no idea how bad it makes the group sound.

• Members

first instrument was trombone. picked up bass later on, played both in multiple jazz bands at state levels all the way through high school. i seriously miss doing jazz gigs frown.gif. Definitly the best thing that i ever did as a musician. I really learned about orchestration and improv that I probably wouldn't have learned elsewhere. defintily shaped my playing, even on guitar

• Members

Played percussion in middle-school. Quickly switched to guitar once I got in high school. I took every music class my high school had to offer. I was in Symphonic band, pep band, marching band, pit orchestra, jazz band, and my own blues cover band... All on guitar. I also joined choir as an upperclassman, and when I was a senior I had some holes in my schedule, so I joined the freshman band and taught myself how to play tuba. Tuba was fun as hell.

My school only offered a beginning guitar class, so I took that... four years in a row. I had the same teacher for all the band and guitar classes. He was a great guy. Super nice, but a little too nice to turn a bunch of lazy kids into a legitimate orchestra. But if you listened and asked questions, he'd teach you everything you needed to know. I learned a lot from him.

I graduated high school with the John Philip Sousa Award.

• Members

I also played the clarinet in 7-9th grade. I was never very good. I broke the mouthpiece once and the replacement never worked as well. In college I picked up a flute in a trade and learned to play it a bit on my own. Unfortunately I've never had any natural music talent. But I finally picked up the guitar at 50 and now I'm really enjoying playing an instrument. Still not very good, but happy to enjoy my hobby. Still got the flute and give it a go every now and then.

• Members

I tried to get into band class in grade school. Figured it was a good way to get out of homeroom for an hour.

Told them I wanted to learn Clarinet or Coronet. I didn't know the difference, the names just sounded cool.

Things didn't work out because my mom (7 years classically trained pianist) didn't want to buy me a mouthpiece and reed for clarinet, nor the sheet music.

facepalm.gif

• Members

Like you, Phil, I started out on the clarinet, and then I continued to play it all the way through college. Along the way, I added the bass while in the high school jazz band. Once in college, I played clarinet in both the marching and symphonic bands. While I didn't much care for the practicing, I really did enjoy playing in the different ensembles. And then life happened...

Fast forward about 15 years, I couldn't find any accomplished reed musicians to play with down here in Texas, so I picked up the mandolin (both acoustic and electric). I have been having fun, struggling with that instrument for the last five or so years. I still have my Selmer Soloist, but I rarely play it.

• Members

After ten years of Catholic school I finally quit to get away from the creepy priests and went to a public school. In 1972 I started my junior year of high school in a brand new eight story New York City public high school, the place looked like a factory. They didn't have that many students going to the school when I signed up so when I joined the school orchestra I was the first person to play the fiddle they gave me.

I really enjoyed it. I never got good at reading music, but I was already a pretty good guitar player so my hands and hears took to the violin pretty well. On top of learn the Prokofiev piece they gave me, I started figuring out how to play country fiddle on the thing.

But my grades were bad so the kicked my out of school and took their fiddle back. That was the end of it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

I'm just curious. If you played an instrument when you were in school (or still do), what was it? Did you enjoy it? Do you still have your old band instrument (whatever it was)?

Me - I started out on clarinet (my brother still has it last time I checked) when I was in junior high school, and quickly switched over to sax. I added guitar, piano and bass while in high school, but it was mainly the reeds that I played in the school bands - concert / orchestral, marching and jazz / stage band.

How about you? smile.gif

Much the same path as you. Clarinet>Bass Clarinet>Tenor sax for marching band. Then I dabbled with guitars.

Archived