X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue vs. Vintage Mid-60's Deluxe Reverb

Other than nostalgia, what's the difference tone-wise between a modern Deluxe Reverb Reissue versus a mid-60's Deluxe Reverb?

I played a vintage Deluxe Reverb from 1965 yesterday at a custom shop. The thing sounded awesome. The shop wanted $2200. That's way more than I can afford.

I'm seeing used Reissues on eBay for around $750. If I sold some gear I don't use that much, I could probably manage $750.

I know in theory that point-to-point wiring is supposed to sound better than a modern circuit board, so I'm willing to concede a 10% better tone to an amp from the 1960's. But would a modern reissue sound 90% as good for a third of the price?
    Gear & Stuff

Captain in the SG Army, 101st Airborne Division
    Honorary Mention on bassesofalessergod's "a list of jerks", 4/17/07
    Proud owner of The Legendary Orange IKEA Gorm Pedalboard

Other than nostalgia, what the difference tone-wise between a modern Deluxe Reverb Reissue versus a mid-60's Deluxe Reverb?

I played a vintage Deluxe Reverb from 1965 yesterday at a custom shop. The thing sounded awesome. The shop wanted $2200. That's way more than I can afford.

I'm seeing used Reissues on eBay for around $750. If I sold some gear I don't use that much, I could probably manage $750.

I know in theory that point-to-point wiring is supposed to sound better than a modern circuit board, so I'm willing to concede a 10% better tone to an amp from the 1960's. But would a modern reissue should 90% as good for a third of the price?

Pretty sure PTP doesn't make a difference in tone, it's just way easier to fix.
    yep

Comment

welcome back armchair!

the reissues are good too, go try one out.

Comment

^^^ pretty sure this guy is wrong.

and put this **************** in the amp forum
        Near Grey

Comment

welcome back armchair!

the reissues are good too, go try one out.

Thanks, man. I was OOF for too long.

The newer Fenders with all the digital junk don't impress me. But with the DR Reissues, they stayed true to the originals. And the size of the Deluxe Reissue is just perfect. I picked up Craigslist Mustang '65 RI on Friday, so now I'm yearning for a Fender amp to go along with it.
          Gear & Stuff

Comment

Thanks, man. I was OOF for too long.

The newer Fenders with all the digital junk don't impress me. But with the DR Reissues, they stayed true to the originals. And the size of the Deluxe Reissue is just perfect. I picked up Craigslist Mustang '65 RI on Friday, so now I'm yearning for a Fender amp to go along with it.

I don't think you could go wrong with a reissue at all, they sound amazing even in the normal channel. i think the RI will do you fine, and if you feel like getting a vintage one down the road it shouldn't be too big a problem.
            yep

Comment

They don't answer questions about amps in teh map forum! Get with the program, man!
              Gear & Stuff

Comment

then find one that will.
                cause this forum is the effects forum. stop polluting it. this bull**************** is totally out of hand.
                Near Grey

Comment

then find one that will.
                  cause this forum is the effects forum. stop polluting it. this bull**************** is totally out of hand.

Keep it up man, your fighting for the revolution no one gives a **************** about!!!
                  As long as it's music related, it's cool with me.
                  yep

Comment

you're just cheesed cause i just shat in a bunch of your recording threads.
                    go to the recording forum steve.
                    Near Grey

Comment

i can't speak for deluxe RI but i've played plenty of 60's and 70's twins and the RI isn't even remotely the same amp.
                      Dead Soldiers

Comment

i can't speak for deluxe RI but i've played plenty of 60's and 70's twins and the RI isn't even remotely the same amp.

Feature-wise or tone-wise.
                        Gear & Stuff

Comment

you're just cheesed cause i just shat in a bunch of your recording threads.
                          go to the recording forum steve.

Hey: check out this site:

http://pissed-off-grumpy-guys.com

You'll love it!
                          Gear & Stuff

Comment

Any music / gear related question is considered on-topic for this forum AFAIC.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

your call boss.
                              Near Grey

Comment

Working...
                              X