Can I glue a wood board inside my amp dust cover for travel protection?

BiggRedd

• Members

I have a Blackstar HT-40 amp, which I really like. Been gigging lately and it's starting to take some abuse from going in and out of the car. Don't have money for a big road case but I did buy a dust cover for it and was wondering if a particle board, kind of like a clipboard wood, but big enough to cover the front of the amp would stay glued to the inside of the fabric on it. So basically it would protect the speaker and the knobs on the front. Was thinking if I cut it to the size of the front portion of the cover and used a liquid nail, or gorilla glue of some sort all over do you think it would stay relatively in place glueing wood to fabric? I would glue it to the inside front of the cover and the rest of the cover would just be soft sided. Think my plan would work?

• Members

I think if the board is inside the cover, you will that the constant sliding on/off/around of the board against your amp will also cause damage in the long term. You would have to put something soft on the board where it contacts the amp if you don't want wear. That also protects only one side of the amp. You could bang together a wooden box for the amp and cut some foam for it to sit inside of fairly cheaply. I would trust that before I would trust the wood reinforced cover route. YMMV.

• Members

You could do a couple things with some plywood. If your amp has a recessed face you could cut a slab to fit and just bungee it on. You could easily get more professional with the fastening but that's up to you. If the speaker board is not recessed you could add slats to form as much lip as you needed and then fasten as you please. You could also cut the board into bite sized pieces for storage on stage, again fasten how you like. You can then use your amp cover as is; toss it to the side when you play.

• Moderators

I would be more inclined to put thick cardboard corrugate inside the dust cover than a hard wooden panel. I have the HT-20 which is about the same, and I have a custom dustcover on it. I am very careful with my amps, so dust covers have kept most of them pristine for decades...

• Members

Here's another idea. Go to a craft store and buy a sheet of Styrofoam thin enough to go between the front of your amp and the dust cover. Cut it to size and put it in between. I don't know how much wiggle room you have but maybe use flat bungee cords or cargo straps to hold the Styrofoam in place before you put the dust cover on.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Yeah, that would work. The Styrofoam is the important part because it's what will provide protection. You need a thick enough piece of Styrofoam to provide protection. Approximately how much space between the dust cover and the face of the amp do you have to work with?

Archived