Blues Junior good enough?

radomu

• Members

To actually see them, I today went to a store to check out some amps and realized that the Blues Junior, which I was looking at from a far distance when I was more interested in the Hot Rod Deluxe, seemed large enough as an Amp. I thought it had all the knobs that were needed and suitable for gigging.

Is it good enough for gigs with PA's? Is it, though, better to get the Hot Rod deluxe.

One disappointment is that it has no effects loop, but the upper levels like the Hot Rod does. But another thing is that I can't imagine taking that massive hot rod to a gig...

On the other hand, though, the truth is that the only comp/reverb/delay/modulation effects that I may buy in the future might be just a Line 6 M9. I really don't need/want anything else. I love buying dirt boxes and I currently own a Maxon OD808, a Big Muff w/ Tone wicker, and a Vox Wah wah. I will buy a tuner and a booster in the future along with the M9. Do I really need to loop for just one pedal? Would it actually make a big difference.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There's something about these recent Fender amps: The Hot Rod Deluxe, The Blues Deluxe, The Blues Deville and the Blues Junior. They have this very efficient clean sound but the overdrive isn't that great...and that's what you buy a tube amp for. You can get one to break up, but is just isn't that natural satisfying crunch....even when you aren't using the master volume to achieve that sound. I'm thinking it's probably got lots of stuff filtering the signal more than the older designs and that's what's sterilizing the sound.

I have a tweed Blues Junior that's Bilm modded, and it sounds fantastic played clean...sort of like a Deluxe Reverb without the weight. It overdrives nice but not like a blackface Fender. Sounds like a really good pedal but not
as good as "straight into an overdriven amp" should sound.

Personally I like a Deluxe Reverb design the best. Great cleans. Nice natural overdrive. Takes pedals well. There might be modern amps that sound just as good and maybe a little different...but none that sound "better".

• Members

There's something about these recent Fender amps: The Hot Rod Deluxe, The Blues Deluxe, The Blues Deville and the Blues Junior. They have this very efficient clean sound but the overdrive isn't that great...and that's what you buy a tube amp for. You can get one to break up, but is just isn't that natural satisfying crunch....even when you aren't using the master volume to achieve that sound. I'm thinking it's probably got lots of stuff filtering the signal more than the older designs and that's what's sterilizing the sound.

I have a tweed Blues Junior that's Bilm modded, and it sounds fantastic played clean...sort of like a Deluxe Reverb without the weight. It overdrives nice but not like a blackface Fender. Sounds like a really good pedal but not

as good as "straight into an overdriven amp" should sound.

Personally I like a Deluxe Reverb design the best. Great cleans. Nice natural overdrive. Takes pedals well. There might be modern amps that sound just as good and maybe a little different...but none that sound "better".

I think the overdrive, based on what I've seen on the youtube demos, sound fine enough. Maybe I don't have enough experience with Amps themselves, like I do with many guitars, but I think they sound livable... I just can't afford anything else. And A Vox, which I was also keeping my eye on, doesn't have that tone that I really like.

And even if it maybe mediocre, I'm planning to use my dirt pedals for the overdrive.

• Members

Or maybe I should get a Vox AC15 instead. Except, again, it's too bloody large and may be a pain in the ass to carry around.

I heard Proguitarshop's demo of the AC15 and it sounded pretty nice for the first time. I had an impression that it was a beatles-sounding amp.

• Members
Blues Jr is one of the worst sounding amps I have ever owned.

That bad? I just read through a bunch of reviews of it and most of them rate it horribly... :o

Maybe I shouldn't get this one... Thanks for the advice people, you saved my ass

So I should probably consider a Vox AC15C1 that actually has an effects loop

EDIT: wait a minute... I doesn't have a loop?

• Members
That bad? I just read through a bunch of reviews of it and most of them rate it horribly...
:o

Maybe I shouldn't get this one... Thanks for the advice people, you saved my ass

So I should probably consider a Vox AC15C1 that actually has an effects loop

EDIT: wait a minute... I doesn't have a loop?

can't stand them personally. The Hot Rod sounds almost as bad to me, only louder. There are some mods that make the overdrive pretty usable. The thing is, with so many choices in this sized amp, why are you zeroing in on the Blues Jr only? If you are on a budget, the Jet City 20 watter is a good Marshally choice. The H/K Tweaker is a good choice a little more towards an overdriver Fender type of vibe. But there are many other choices as well. The AC15 is certainly a good one.

• Members

can't stand them personally. The Hot Rod sounds almost as bad to me, only louder. There are some mods that make the overdrive pretty usable. The thing is, with so many choices in this sized amp, why are you zeroing in on the Blues Jr only? If you are on a budget, the Jet City 20 watter is a good Marshally choice. The H/K Tweaker is a good choice a little more towards an overdriver Fender type of vibe. But there are many other choices as well. The AC15 is certainly a good one.

Never heard of a Jet City or a H/K Tweaker, the selection is pretty limited here in Japan unfortunately

EDIT: I prefer combo amps

• Members
They're too channel amps, so they don't compare directly to the Fender. They're better than the BJ, but still not great. Do you have Blackstar amps over there?

Yes, but they're overpriced in Japan, like Fenders, compared to the US. They make good combo amps for rock tones?

EDIT: the BLACKSTAR HT Studio 20 seems very affordable and nice sounding. I love the drive channel and IT HAS A BLOODY EFFECTS LOOP :thu: thanks for the recommendation

Archived