Blues Junior good enough?

radomu

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To actually see them, I today went to a store to check out some amps and realized that the Blues Junior, which I was looking at from a far distance when I was more interested in the Hot Rod Deluxe, seemed large enough as an Amp. I thought it had all the knobs that were needed and suitable for gigging.

Is it good enough for gigs with PA's? Is it, though, better to get the Hot Rod deluxe.

One disappointment is that it has no effects loop, but the upper levels like the Hot Rod does. But another thing is that I can't imagine taking that massive hot rod to a gig...

On the other hand, though, the truth is that the only comp/reverb/delay/modulation effects that I may buy in the future might be just a Line 6 M9. I really don't need/want anything else. I love buying dirt boxes and I currently own a Maxon OD808, a Big Muff w/ Tone wicker, and a Vox Wah wah. I will buy a tuner and a booster in the future along with the M9. Do I really need to loop for just one pedal? Would it actually make a big difference.

Last time I tried one was in Tokyo and loved it.

Pedals I always put before and amp, unless you want a real clean tone the Blue Jr is good enough.

• Members

One ignorant question from a novice here.

I don't know much or nothing about stacks. So if you have a good amp head, does it make any real difference to what cabinet you plug into? And can you plug into other combo amps and use them as cabinets?

• Members

Never heard of a Jet City or a H/K Tweaker, the selection is pretty limited here in Japan unfortunately

EDIT: I prefer combo amps

Where are you shopping there are some great shops in Tokyo, and on line.

You think its bad there you should go to Kyushu.

I would say look at the Jet City 20W and the orange tiny terror combo.

• Members

One ignorant question from a novice here.

I don't know much or nothing about stacks. So if you have a good amp head, does it make any real difference to what cabinet you plug into? And can you plug into other combo amps and use them as cabinets?

if you have the right ohm match yes, you can also plug in a 1x12 speaker. so it will be light.

• Members
Where are you shopping there are some great shops in Tokyo, and on line.

You think its bad there you should go to Kyushu.

I would say look at the Jet City 20W and the orange tiny terror combo.

I'm in Tokyo so going to Kyushu to shopping is just fanatical, but thanks anyways :o

I might go check in Ochanomizu.

if you have the right ohm match yes, you can also plug in a 1x12 speaker. so it will be light.

What if it doesn't?

• Members
I'm in Tokyo so going to Kyushu to shopping is just fanatical, but thanks anyways
:o

I might go check in Ochanomizu.

What if it doesn't?

Check on-line or Yahoo auctions, and I meant there is a lot less choice in kyushu ;)

I always find tiny terrors on Yahoo auctions and I know Jet City amps sell in Japan.

• Members

Like it's been said Jet City is liked by many. I'd try one.

A classic option is a Peavey Classic 30 also...

The problem with the Peavy is that it has no master volume. So I can't practice with the overdrive in my apartment. I'd rather get the Peavy classic 50 instead, but that's too damn large.

how far is tokyo from you?

0 miles

• Members

The problem with the Peavy is that it has no master volume. So I can't practice with the overdrive in my apartment. I'd rather get the Peavy classic 50 instead, but that's too damn large.

0 miles

after reading this thread, I am increasingly irritated by OP. OP finds a problem with every suggestion. WTF? Obviously he was just looking for a bunch of people to tell him the blues Jr is awesome so he could feel better about what he's already gassing for..............

and the peavey classic has no master volume???????????? that is news to me.

P.S. if a AC15 is "too big" to carry around there is no hope.:facepalm:

• Members

I don't know, I've used a Blues Jr for years (and in professional touring and studio applications)! It's not the most ideal amp for every situation but it does have its merits. I've never had anyone have anything but praise for my tones out of the amp... but then again, I did do some minor mods to it.. but I used to rock it full on standard with no probs. I don't get the hate.

Yeah it doesn't have much of anything in the dirt department but it can get a pretty loud clear clean and if you rely on pedals its fairly universal in the sounds it can put out from Rock to R&B. Just takes a lil dialing in.

• Members
after reading this thread, I am increasingly irritated by OP. OP finds a problem with every suggestion. WTF? Obviously he was just looking for a bunch of people to tell him the blues Jr is awesome so he could feel better about what he's already gassing for..............

and the peavey classic has no master volume???????????? that is news to me.

P.S. if a AC15 is "too big" to carry around there is no hope.
:facepalm:

:thu: almost seems like a troll.

• Members

here's some Blues Jr with a Jekyll & Hyde in front of it.
Only pedals I used for the gig:
TU2
original 60's Thomas Organ Wah
Keeley TS9 (808 & plus mod)
Jekyll & Hyde
to Blues Jr.

Beside the fact that it's from a fans video camera, tell me that isn't cutting thru the mix! :)

and for some god awful reason, I have NOT been able to get my youtube vids to embed for about a week or so. so sorry for the link.

• Members
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG-tmg-wR8M

here's some Blues Jr with a Jekyll & Hyde in front of it.

Only pedals I used for the gig:

TU2

original 60's Thomas Organ Wah

Keeley TS9 (808 & plus mod)

Jekyll & Hyde

to Blues Jr.

Beside the fact that it's from a fans video camera, tell me that isn't cutting thru the mix!
:)

and for some god awful reason, I have NOT been able to get my youtube vids to embed for about a week or so. so sorry for the link.

Sounds good

[YOUTUBE]pG-tmg-wR8M[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Egnater
Tweaker, but yeah it stomps the Fender BJ.

I mean the BJ is passable, but it works best with a separate dirt pedal.

This. This in spades. I'm a Fender Fanboi too but the Tweaker is the shnizzle. Also so is the Jet City 20 watt 1x12" I just got one at Sam Ash for $269.99 New. It has unbelievable Crunch and drive. yet it also cleans (well sort of) up real well. And to top it all off, it has Tube driven Spring Reverb.

No EFX loop though. But in the old days the recordings we all love didn't have them either. To me Reverb is the real need in an amp without a loop.

Archived