Blues Junior good enough?

radomu

• Members

I don't know, I've used a Blues Jr for years (and in professional touring and studio applications)! It's not the most ideal amp for every situation but it does have its merits. I've never had anyone have anything but praise for my tones out of the amp... but then again, I did do some minor mods to it.. but I used to rock it full on standard with no probs. I don't get the hate.

Yeah it doesn't have much of anything in the dirt department but it can get a pretty loud clear clean and if you rely on pedals its fairly universal in the sounds it can put out from Rock to R&B. Just takes a lil dialing in.

+1...

I have never played one for myself but, I have heard bands that use the Blues Jrs. and they always have a pretty sweet tone. I once saw a guy with a Pro Jr which was rehoused into a 12" cab and his tone was thick and sweet as well. As for the bigger Hot Rod series.......not so much sweetness!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I did some research today in Shibuya and I played a few amps. The Blackstar HT Club 40W sounded amazing. I was quite surprised by it. Everything from the clean to the distortion.

And the Vox AC15, I played too. And it was great too. A totally different amp. I think I now have an idea of what I may want.

• Members
I did some research today in Shibuya and I played a few amps. The Blackstar HT Club 40W sounded amazing. I was quite surprised by it. Everything from the clean to the distortion.

And the Vox AC15, I played too. And it was great too. A totally different amp. I think
I now have an idea of what I may want

Whats that :)

• Members
Whats that
:)

Either the Blackstar combo or a Vox AC15. I realized that Fenders are mostly over-priced boutique stuff that sound great, but not great enough for the price I'm paying.

The Vox Night Train, which I also played, sounded nice and it was LIGHT. But I'm afraid that it lacked more "stuff" like an AC15.

• Members
you can make a BJ (
:p
) sound VERY GOOD without too much work:

http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=2

off-the-shelf, it's an ok/mid-level amp. with some simple mods you can significantly improve it.

I heard replacing the stock speakers is a must and the tubes. Maybe that's what's making the price so low.

You know, I prefer that more than anything else in terms of the weight. It's only 14 kg and it's 15 watts, unlike the Vox.

• Members

I heard replacing the stock speakers is a must and the tubes. Maybe that's what's making the price so low.

You know, I prefer that
(blues jr)
more than anything else
in terms of the weight. It's only 14 kg and it's 15 watts, unlike the Vox.

It is now crystal clear the OP began this thread looking for affirmation of what he really wants. As soon as someone says something good about the Blues Jr, he jumps all over it. He believes the Vox AC15 "too heavy" :rolleyes:

Let him buy a tiny amp, he's already made his decision.

Stop feeding the troll.

• Members

Or maybe I should get a Vox AC15 instead. Except, again, it's too bloody large and may be a pain in the ass to carry around.

I heard Proguitarshop's demo of the AC15 and it sounded pretty nice for the first time. I had an impression that it was a beatles-sounding amp.

Get an AC15VR maybe.

Sounds like a Super Champ XD might really do you though.

• Members
It is now crystal clear the OP began this thread looking for affirmation of what he really wants. As soon as someone says something good about the Blues Jr, he jumps all over it. He believes the Vox AC15 "too heavy"
:rolleyes:

Stop feeding the troll.

I'm a confused teenager, I need help on what amp to buy. After all, all I really have is a Roland Micro Cube. And I do want the best deal.

• Members

why is weight soooooo much of an issue for you?

seriously, are you disabled? just curious seriously

Remember-bigger speakers, more speakers=pushing more air=better, fuller more satisfying tone. Sorry, you just can't get around that.

For a ultra portable amp, it sounds like you're all set with the roland micro thing

IMO you will do not better than a Jet City 20 watt 1x12 combo amp with a $50 amp stand to project its sound better. That whole setup would be around $300 USD (don't know yen or shipping but it would still be a great deal nonetheless)

Just stay with the microcube rather than get another little blues jr IMO

As you can see in my sig, I have a Peavey Classic 50 combo. I highly recommend these amps because they have killer tone. I've had mine 20 years, travelled across the U.S. with it, and never had to service it other than replace tubes infrequently. Very reliable and has tones that poop all over those HRD fendersand blues jrs. i guess im biased though

• Members

why is weight soooooo much of an issue for you?

seriously, are you disabled? just curious seriously

Remember-bigger speakers, more speakers=pushing more air=better, fuller more satisfying tone. Sorry, you just can't get around that.

For a ultra portable amp, it sounds like you're all set with the roland micro thing

IMO you will do not better than a Jet City 20 watt 1x12 combo amp with a $50 amp stand to project its sound better. That whole setup would be around $300 USD (don't know yen or shipping but it would still be a great deal nonetheless)

Just stay with the microcube rather than get another little blues jr IMO

As you can see in my sig, I have a Peavey Classic 50 combo. I
highly
recommend these amps because they have killer tone. I've had mine 20 years, travelled across the U.S. with it, and never had to service it other than replace tubes infrequently. Very reliable and has tones that poop all over those HRD fendersand blues jrs. i guess im biased though

Well for one, I don't have a car so I have to carry it around on public transport. I'm moving to the UK next year for college so the shipping costs are cheaper if the weight is lighter.

I do understand that "size matters" with the tone. It just seems daunting to carry a 30 kg amp around.

I have a question on the Peavey. Does it have a sort of "master volume"? Can I play clean loud with the volume cranked up? I'm also keeping an eye on those amps. They're pretty affordable in Japan based on what I checked last time.

• Members

I don't get why people go lol wimpy man when people complain about weight. I'm not a weakling but I still have trouble moving around most 1x12 combos, and have a really hard time with 2x12s. It's stuff like this that puts girls off guitar too.

I think a lot of people are too used to having transport, which I don't have. I'd actually have to walk a considerable distance and get a bus.

The ZT Lunchbox and Crate Powerblock seem like great ideas to me.

• Members
I don't get why people go lol wimpy man when people complain about weight. I'm not a weakling but I still have trouble moving around most 1x12 combos, and have a really hard time with 2x12s. It's stuff like this that puts girls off guitar too.

I think a lot of people are too used to having transport, which I don't have. I'd actually have to walk a considerable distance and get a bus.

The ZT Lunchbox and Crate Powerblock seem like great ideas to me.

The lunchbox is 200 Watts? What the {censored}? :lol:

Sorry buddy, I appreciate your advice and sympathy, but that will blow my {censored}ing ears out...

• Members

Well for one, I don't have a car so I have to carry it around on public transport. I'm moving to the UK next year for college so the shipping costs are cheaper if the weight is lighter.

I do understand that "size matters" with the tone. It just seems daunting to carry a 30 kg amp around.

I have a question on the Peavey.
Does it have a sort of "master volume"? Can I play clean loud with the volume cranked up?
I'm also keeping an eye on those amps. They're pretty affordable in Japan based on what I checked last time.

yes peavey classics have a master volume. why did you think they didn't? who told you that? Just for information purposes, check out http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Classic-30-112-Tube-Amp-Combo-104145552-i1171332.gc

and read some of the reviews. i cant overstate how nice and versatile of an amp it is. yes, it's really portable as well. awesome cleans, pedal-friendly, good overdrive, reliable as f#$k.

just one question............why don't you practice at home with your roland microcube thingy and keep a larger amp at your practice/jam space? or do you always practice and/or gig different places?

For example, some guys will have a small combo amp at home, but have a full marshall stack at their rehearsal space. Just an idea.

Oh, and an amp stand is very inexpensive and is an absolute MUST-HAVE for a combo amp. gotta get one

• Members

Well for one, I don't have a car so I have to carry it around on public transport.
I'm moving to the UK next year for college so the shipping costs are cheaper if the weight is lighter.

I have a question on the Peavey. Does it have a sort of "master volume"? Can I play clean loud with the volume cranked up? I'm also keeping an eye on those amps. They're pretty affordable in Japan based on what I checked last time.

I'd wait till you get to the uk to buy an amp then.. Would be a lot less hassle...

• Members
It is now crystal clear the OP began this thread looking for affirmation of what he really wants. As soon as someone says something good about the Blues Jr, he jumps all over it. He believes the Vox AC15 "too heavy"
:rolleyes:

Stop feeding the troll.

Weight is a big deal when you try and get an amp around on the train there, I know :o

• Members

yes peavey classics have a master volume. why did you think they didn't? who told you that? Just for information purposes, check out

and read some of the reviews. i cant overstate how nice and versatile of an amp it is. yes, it's really portable as well. awesome cleans, pedal-friendly, good overdrive, reliable as f#$k.

just one question............why don't you practice at home with your roland microcube thingy and keep a larger amp at your practice/jam space? or do you always practice and/or gig different places?

For example, some guys will have a small combo amp at home, but have a full marshall stack at their rehearsal space. Just an idea.

Oh, and an amp stand is very inexpensive and is an absolute MUST-HAVE for a combo amp. gotta get one

Dude, have you ever been to Japan it is not the same as the states.

I understand his want of the blues Jr for weight as it is a big deal when getting around on the busy Tokyo metro.

I also understand his frustration for finding the right amp unless you know where to look it can be quite hard finding amps there, also they are a lot more expensive than the states due to import fee's.

Rehearsal studios don't always have the space to store your gear for you.

Archived