No announcement yet.

If I Buy a 1991 Les Paul Studio.....

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I Buy a 1991 Les Paul Studio.....

What are some good options for locking tuners? Vintage looking?
    Look how hard my heart hurts.
    I need help, give me the works.

Originally Posted by Neilrocks25

I haven't been drunk on sale for a long time either.

Originally Posted by telephant

You sound like an uptight loser and I suspect you have a lot less friends than you claim. Also, your wife is probably a fatty.

Quote Originally Posted by paul88lx
    View Post

What are some good options for locking tuners? Vintage looking?

depends on what is there now , I don't like to redrill holes if I don't have to. Also IMO you don't need locking on a LP . I like at least 16:1 ratio
    "Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more."
    Nikola Tesla

Comment

Why do you think you need those? It ain't got a trem of did i miss something?
      I endorse Laura & Valve Queen tubes, you should too.Marshall, Gibson, Fender, Charvel/Jackson."I'm happy to pay my tech $40 bucks to take the Zap for me."One kick-butt deal with johnpace2 Dave Friedman of RACKSYSTEMS is a genius.After the Firebird X, i'm quite convinced Henry Juszkiewicz is crazy.Member of the JMP Hall of Fame.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by charveldan
        View Post

Why do you think you need those? It ain't got a trem of did i miss something?

Yes, as usual, you missed something. Locking tuners are the ****************. Doesn't matter what bridge you have.
        Now Playing

When it began, for those who don't know
        it didn't matter how you looked or what you wore to a show
        dress codes, **************** NO! we didn't care
        about the brand of your jeans and all that **************** in your hair
        -H2O

Comment

just installed locking tuners on my 2009 lp studio. The gotoh vintage tulip locking tuners should have fit right in, but no dice. The bushings were to small, i had to order some conversion bushings extra to make the fit. It works great now. Installed grover mini locking tuners on the previous les paul i owned (93 studio) They fit right in.

ps : little rant here . I don't care that when people say that tuning problems have nothing to to with the stock gibson tuners, that's it's all about string winding and lubricating the nut. I have tried all that with both les pauls i owned and ended up installing locking tuners. Problem was solved, guitar stayed in tune. So to me , gibson tuners SUCK !
          Gear : peavey wolfgang special, gibson les paul studio alpine white, mexican floyd rose strat,jet city 100h,jet city 4x12 cab, engl 1x12 (vin 30), engl 1x12 cab (k 85) ,weeping demon wah, bad monkey, ibanez ts9, tc corona chorus, hardwire delay, boss volume, tc polytune mini, cort acoustic, various line 6 stuff...

"in your darkest hour you strike gold."

Comment

Last winter I bought a Les Paul '60s tribute. The reasons I sent it back were the weight(It was way way too light. It felt like a cheap toy. Any Les Paul, to me, needs to have some mass to it). The second reason was the thing just wouldn't stay in tune. It didn't take even a minute before I could hear the tuning change. So if I end up buying this particular guitar, it's getting lockers right off the bat.

I have one strat in particular that had unstable tuning. Sperzels fixed it just fine. So it can't hurt either way.

You sound like an uptight loser and I suspect you have a lot less friends than you claim. Also, your wife is probably a fatty.

Comment

Find a used Hamer Studio. Much better quaility

Comment

I've never owned a Gibson that wouldn't stay in tune. I have three and they are all pretty solid. Not saying it doesn't happen, I have a friend who swears his 335 won't stay in tune more that 5 minutes. Maybe some locking tuners would help his guitar.
                Diddlybo
                -----------------------------------------------
                Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
                My current amp selection:
                Carr Slant6V, Allen Accomplice, Rivera R-30 Thirty-twelve, Fender ChampII, Tech21 Trademark 10

Good HCAF transactions with hal9000, guitup, Anibas and ARS.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedtone
                  View Post

Find a used Hamer Studio. Much better quaility

They do look pretty. But the dollars dictate. Plus, the LP is just what I want and the price is fair.

Comment

Tuning issues are more often than not a poorly cut nut. Locking tuners aren't really going to help if you're properly wrapping the tuning post. That being said, I have these ones on my LP and they're badass:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/G..._Machines.html
                    Member of the HCAF Homebrews Club

Gear:
                    Currently in transition.

http://www.myspace.com/michaelkentmusic New songs up!!

Good Transactions With: Moodbender, Chrisjd, GRIFF10672 (x2), Killing Nevada, Cibyl, Steveanders86, drs448, Valtiel, StratoSlacker

Originally Posted by newholland

good sense NEVER makes good sense when yer movin a mountain of stupid...

Originally Posted by mseriously30

I think some people have the "suck" knob on full bore.

Mah ampbuild thread: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...8#post39421848

Comment

This is relevant to my interests as well. My studio has a tuner or two that I've had to tighten to attempt to prevent their slipping. I haven't taken one apart, but the threads always end up sticking out where they shouldn't :/

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by GuidanceOfSin
                        View Post

Yes, as usual, you missed something. Locking tuners are the ****************. Doesn't matter what bridge you have.

FAilz.....Les Pauls don't need locking tuners dude.
                        I endorse Laura & Valve Queen tubes, you should too.Marshall, Gibson, Fender, Charvel/Jackson."I'm happy to pay my tech $40 bucks to take the Zap for me."One kick-butt deal with johnpace2 Dave Friedman of RACKSYSTEMS is a genius.After the Firebird X, i'm quite convinced Henry Juszkiewicz is crazy.Member of the JMP Hall of Fame.

Comment

I don't think so either but I'm all for hot rodding a geetar . I agree about the nut , needs to be cut right and a little nut lube works wonders too . As much as I like the Tonepros stuff those locking type they have that look like LSR tuners with that big ass piece coming off the top just look wrong on a Les Paul , don't **************** up a classic look !
                          "Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more."
                          Nikola Tesla

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by fretless
                            View Post

I don't think so either but I'm all for hot rodding a geetar . I agree about the nut , needs to be cut right and a little nut lube works wonders too . As much as I like the Tonepros stuff those locking type they have that look like LSR tuners with that big ass piece coming off the top just look wrong on a Les Paul , don't **************** up a classic look !

That's pretty much my opinion. I don't care if I need them or not. If I buy the guitar, it's getting them. Eventually, it'll get swapped from gold to silver hardware.

Since, you know, silver is classy and gold is for guidos.

Comment

well I don't hold that against Gold hardware , in fact some things are just perfect with it , Like a Black Beauty .
                              Nikola Tesla

Comment

Working...
                              X