If I Buy a 1991 Les Paul Studio.....

paul88lx

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy View Post
So you can't explain how a tuner could cause tuning issues but you blame them? Pro tip: unless the gear is stripped even the cheapest of tuners will hold tune just fine.

A.) If locking tuners fixed his issue then it wasn't the nut. If the nut was that big of an issue it would cause the same problems regardless of the tuner.

B.) Les Paul nut works the same way as any other. Gibson uses a 17* pitch that creates a lot of pressure on the nut, especially for the D and G strings since they have the longest run above the nut. The D is wound so it stays in place a bit more than the plain G.

C.) Studios have 490r/498t pickups which are pretty decent. Gibson installed the exact same combo in Les Paul Customs for the longest time. Same with old LP Standards and SG's.
Gibson efficianato.....dayum, well put. I put a brass nut on a Paul once, PITA !!! But it sounded great after all the fecking wit it.

Only Gibson pups i like are 57 Classics, but i've never really found a stock pickup that moved me in 30 years, but i've never owned a Suhr either so.........idn_smilie.gif

• Members
So you can't explain how a tuner could cause tuning issues but you blame them? Pro tip: unless the gear is stripped even the cheapest of tuners will hold tune just fine.

A.) If locking tuners fixed his issue then it wasn't the nut. If the nut was that big of an issue it would cause the same problems regardless of the tuner.

B.) Les Paul nut works the same way as any other. Gibson uses a 17* pitch that creates a lot of pressure on the nut, especially for the D and G strings since they have the longest run above the nut. The D is wound so it stays in place a bit more than the plain G.

C.) Studios have 490r/498t pickups which are pretty decent. Gibson installed the exact same combo in Les Paul Customs for the longest time. Same with old LP Standards and SG's.
Thanks RB.

I'm probably going to pull the trigger tomorrow. When I get it, I will certainly give the stock tuners some time to see how the guitar settles in. If it holds fine, I'll leave it alone for a while. But I do love hot rodding things. So...

I don't mean to sound stupid here, but how are you guys winding the strings around the post? I've always done the measure, wrap it back around to lock on itself thing. If that makes any sense. I'm a lifelong Strat guy. So this will be my first dive into pineapple headstocks.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by charveldan View Post
Gibson efficianato.....dayum, well put. I put a brass nut on a Paul once, PITA !!! But it sounded great after all the fecking wit it.

Only Gibson pups i like are 57 Classics, but i've never really found a stock pickup that moved me in 30 years, but i've never owned a Suhr either so.........idn_smilie.gif
How did the brass nut affect it? Significantly brighter?

• Members

I don't know why you are coming at me, Ron, i am just sharing a problem i had with the stock gibson tuners on both gibsons i own.In both cases it helped with the new tuners, so what else could it be ?
I am however used to the tuning stability of my wolfgang and floyd rose strat (no recessed cavity, bridge making contact with the body). So it annoys me when i have to tune up after each song, in bad conditions in the middle of a song.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by koen77 View Post
I don't know why you are coming at me, Ron, i am just sharing a problem i had with the stock gibson tuners on both gibsons i own.In both cases it helped with the new tuners, so what else could it be ?
I am however used to the tuning stability of my wolfgang and floyd rose strat (no recessed cavity, bridge making contact with the body). So it annoys me when i have to tune up after each song, in bad conditions in the middle of a song.
I had serious tunig issues with one of my strats. I have 5 tremolo springs in it, so it's definitely sitting flat against the body. A new nut and blocking the bridge did nothing for it. Sperzels fixed it. The guitars' tuning is rock steady now.

Of course this is just my experience.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by charveldan View Post
Brighter and more sustain.....i fecked up the first brass nut, cut the slots too deep, got the second one right. thumb.gif

The nut only affects open chords.

My 2 LP's have bone nuts.
I figured as much about the brass.

I put a bone nut on one of my strats and definitely like it better than the graphite nut.

• Members

Here's my $.02 worth...

1. The stock tuners on both of my '92 LP Studios suffered from a "internal tolerance issue" (for lack of a better term) which caused the tuners to go out of tune quickly, regardless of how you strung the guitar. In talking to Gibson support about this, they had problems with certain batches of the tuners and suggested replacing the originals as you cannot pop them open and adjust them. I bought a set of the new vintage deluxe tuners and tuning has been no issue since.

2. Try stringing the tuners as described in the "Martin Guitars Care and Feeding Guide". I use this technique on all my guitars and it locks the string in place against itself and is solid!

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitar-c...ing-guide.html

• Members

Those pickups sound weird to me. especially the bridge. They have high end like a {censored}ing laser. eek.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by telephant View Post
Those pickups sound weird to me. especially the bridge. They have high end like a {censored}ing laser. eek.gif

They're not my favorite. I was just commenting on their hierarchy with gibbys smile.gif

I'm with Dan and prefer their 57's or really I just prefer a 59/JB set in Les Pauls thumb.gif

• Members

Gibson Les Pauls don't need locking tuners (at least the 10 I've owned and all LPs I've played over 15 years). The ratio us plenty to keep the guitar in tune.

Most tuning issues occur in the G and B strings, and is usually caused by binding at the nut slots. Pick up some graphite lube and your problems should be behind you.

Archived