Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk me out of buying a Les Paul Traditional Mahogany

I was thinking about buying a 2012 American Standard Strat, but I haven't paid attention to the current Gibson lineup in years. Well, I decided to finally look at them...and holy crap, the Traditional Mahogany looks awesome.

Have any of you dudes played them? Doesn't Ricky Bobby have one or am I thinking of a different kind of LP? How are they?

Wait...I mean...don't these things suck? Talk me out of it. I might pull the trigger on Friday.
    http://simplehomerecording.com

I bought one a month ago. If you can get them, SA was blowin them out for $1149. I got an ebony one for $999

It's honestly one of the best LP's I've ever played

Comment

anything gibson makes out of mahogany SUCKS, brah
      great deals with Urinate Forever and stratedge09

Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis

Ya'll n****s is gay

Cheers, Lucius.

the.Orange.congolomorate Thunderverb 50 sucka!
      SG ARMY

Comment

I've played a few. They are pretty sweet. If you want a new one better get one soon. I think they are discontinued for 2013.
        Gibson | Mesa Boogie
        PRS | ESP | Bogner

Comment

They are killer axes. Amt here on the forum brought his over to my old rehearsal room and it was a great guitar.

I have a traditional pro which is slightly different. Gloss top (though mine has been buffed down with fine grit), maple top, etc.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by jlb32
            View Post

I've played a few. They are pretty sweet. If you want a new one better get one soon. I think they are discontinued for 2013.

While there are a few "issues" with this...looks like at least one is a 2013 model.

Gibson Ibanez Diezel / Fender / Dan Hall

Originally Posted by Sixtonoize

This.

I couldn't have said it better.

Originally Posted by K-Bizzle

Yeah I'm with Abstract here...

Originally Posted by Bob Savage

I like your style, and attention to reason.

Originally Posted by TornadoOfSouls

Just don't buy it from Dewy / Musicians Friend.

Originally Posted by justcrash

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Great deals with: MHenson, Honkridge, Ledvedder, Rik-Guitarstudi, ***1776***, shane159, chriscnb, LA-Ü-RA, LoopQuantum, exafro, Silvervox325, EdgeOfDarkness, Ricky Bobby, Valtiel, Fretless, 100 watt...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ~Abstract~
              View Post

While there are a few "issues" with this...looks like at least one is a 2013 model.

Yeah, for some reason Gibson starts stamping the next year way ahead of time. From what I have heard the mahogany Traditionals aren't in the new 2013 lineup. Of course as much as Gibson changes their lineup month to month that could or has already changed.
              Gibson | Mesa Boogie
              PRS | ESP | Bogner

Comment

Buy quality. Hamer Studio is a much better choice and will save you $600-$800 for a better guitar. I found mine for less than $800. Crazy figured top and it plays better than my friend's high end LP. We A/B'd them. The LP had more gain, which surprised me, but the Hamer was by far better clarity and string definition

Comment

goddamn i love the whole gibson neck/headstock transition. gorgeous such a stupid thing to fixate one, but i have always loved that carve.
                  great deals with Urinate Forever and stratedge09

Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis

Ya'll n****s is gay

Cheers, Lucius.

the.Orange.congolomorate Thunderverb 50 sucka!
                  SG ARMY

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedtone
                    View Post

Buy quality. Hamer Studio is a much better choice and will save you $600-$800 for a better guitar. I found mine for less than $800. Crazy figured top and it plays better than my friend's high end LP. We A/B'd them. The LP had more gain, which surprised me, but the Hamer was by far better clarity and string definition

They are different guitars. You buy a les paul if you want a les paul, and you buy a hamer if you want a hamer.
                    Originally Posted by Rampage

**************** cleans, play distortion?

Originally Posted by RiffDaemon

The scratchy high-end sounds like a wreck in Excitebike

Originally Posted by buddhapaugh

I had a nightmare experience like yours, Nerine, when I was in my late 20's/early 30's and was doing the tag-team thing with my buddy over the toilet. Now that was something----

Guitars:
                    Fender-Hamer-Michael Kelly-Starfield-Ibanez

Amps/Cabs
                    Drive-Eminence-Electro Harmonix-Fender-Jet City-Kustom-VHT-Yamaha

FX
                    ISP-Keeley-Pigtronix

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by peavey_impact
                      View Post

They are different guitars. You buy a les paul if you want a les paul, and you buy a hamer if you want a hamer.

The Hamer Studio does all the LP want tones in a higher quality axe at much less $

Comment

View Post

The Hamer Studio does all the LP want tones in a higher quality axe at much less $

It's personal preference. It's cool you think the Hamer Studio is better than all Gibson Les Pauls but that doesn't mean others will feel the same.

I've played some great Hamer guitars and some dog Hamer guitars. I've also played some great Gibsons and some dog Gibsons. Every manufacturer has both.

The Gibsons I have actually bought though have been killer guitars with excellent build quality. It seems you feel the same about the Hamer Studio you bought. Doesn't mean all Hamer Studios are great though. Same with all Gibsons, PRS, Fenders, ESP's, Jacksons, Deans, Ibanez, etc.., etc..,.
                        Gibson | Mesa Boogie
                        PRS | ESP | Bogner

Comment

View Post

I know it's a longshot, but do you work for Hamer by any chance?
                          Find me and the rest of the guise here: www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

View Post

You can't get the Les Paul look and feel with a Hamer.

I'm obsessed with Hamers personally, but they are just different.
                            Originally Posted by Rampage

**************** cleans, play distortion?

Originally Posted by RiffDaemon

The scratchy high-end sounds like a wreck in Excitebike

Originally Posted by buddhapaugh

I had a nightmare experience like yours, Nerine, when I was in my late 20's/early 30's and was doing the tag-team thing with my buddy over the toilet. Now that was something----

Guitars:
                            Fender-Hamer-Michael Kelly-Starfield-Ibanez

Amps/Cabs
                            Drive-Eminence-Electro Harmonix-Fender-Jet City-Kustom-VHT-Yamaha

FX
                            ISP-Keeley-Pigtronix

Comment

View Post

I think these are like $1000 so you're not really saving much by going with a hamer.
                              " "Best toan in teh land" - champion

Good Buyers/Sellers :Mikenothing , SirKonks,Dimebag11 x2,Dropped_2_c,Boris the Blade,thefyn,MrSandman,Gabe15,GuidanceOfSin,shane1 59 X2,Mparsons,rabott13,warplangrey,iamthearm, SkyHighRocks,RobotBodiesBFF,Tu Be x2,IanDOL,Fridgit,Jim Ansell ,GutterMouth,LionHeaRT07 ,Zao X2,m3at,Bluesman001,Khoifish321,thinkpad20,vangkm, juice,phatgirl,Trembulant,knope , Knucklefux, pfapin,rareguitar,donsimon76, again with this, Jerry Dyer, eagertokill,rugbyguitargod

Comment

Working...
                              X