Talk me out of buying a Les Paul Traditional Mahogany

Markdude

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy View Post
Do any of you really take cheap guitars and compare them to your friend's nicer more expensive instruments irl? Then demand they pick the 'winner'?

That's kinda weird.
even if i owned cheap guitars, i wouldn't. however, i own expensive-ass basses, so i tend to belittle those peasants who's instruments cost less than my favorite pedal, and i do it regularly thumb.giflove.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by RSBro View Post
even if i owned cheap guitars, i wouldn't. however, i own expensive-ass basses, so i tend to belittle those peasants who's instruments cost less than my favorite pedal, and i do it regularly thumb.giflove.gif

I do too. I wouldn't have people over that came in comparing their cheap {censored} to my {censored}. I had a singer try to justify his cheap {censored}. He'd rip 'overpriced' guitars while I'm playing an entire rig he felt was just a waste of money since his practice amp and epiphone were just as good as my plexi/Gibson rig. I eventually just stopped answering the phone when he called. It was such a beating to hear him talk. Fwiw I'd bet a weeks pay that if he had the money he'd play expensive {censored} too. He was obsessed with brand names icon_lol.gif

• Members
Do any of you really take cheap guitars and compare them to your friend's nicer more expensive instruments irl? Then demand they pick the 'winner'?

That's kinda weird.
If I like a guitar that's enough for me. I don't feel the need to try to make myself feel better about my purchase by saying it's a better guitar than a friends more expensive model.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jlb32

View Post

If I like a guitar that's enough for me. I don't feel the need to try to make myself feel better about my purchase by saying it's a better guitar than a friends more expensive model.

I read that on the Internet a lot. People comparing their squier to a 'friends' fender custom shop and both parties unanimously agreeing the squier was a better player. The number of epiphone owners coming to this same revelation is staggering as well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by fretless

View Post

love me some hog . does it come in natural ?

The worn brown finish of the Traditional Mahogany is about as close to natural as they offer. It's stained but looks pretty awesome IMO. That finish does seem to be harder to find right now though. I think they are just about all gone.

• Members
I do too. I wouldn't have people over that came in comparing their cheap {censored} to my {censored}. I had a singer try to justify his cheap {censored}. He'd rip 'overpriced' guitars while I'm playing an entire rig he felt was just a waste of money since his practice amp and epiphone were just as good as my plexi/Gibson rig. I eventually just stopped answering the phone when he called. It was such a beating to hear him talk. Fwiw I'd bet a weeks pay that if he had the money he'd play expensive {censored} too. He was obsessed with brand names icon_lol.gif
LOL yeah, "overpriced", "waste of money", "too much for what you get", etc. are all some fun buzzwords when it comes to that stuff. I just lulz and move on and say "Enjoy your Squier"
thumb.gif

i'll never afford a Lambo or Aston or something like that. but i'll never say it's "not worth it" or some shiz bc it obviously is to the person who bought it, and who i'm jelly of!! idea.giflove.gif
my dad was telling me over christmas break one of his big friends/clients just bought a '12 911 Turbo S and took him to the funeral of a business associate of theirs in it and he was going on and on about how he (dad) would never buy one, but having ridden in it totally understands why people who appreciate slick rides like that fork out the caysh for them.

• Members

I had one for a couple of years but sold it a few months ago, as the 24.75" scale is just a little too small for me. Lovely fat tone from the '57 pickups all day long.

OP if you do buy one maybe get some big bends nut sauce, or just shave some graphite in the G-string nut slot. That was the only issue I had with mine. It was a {censored}er for not staying in tune - even correctly stringing it. I never tried to file it, because as much as I wanted to keep it, I knew I was going to sell it eventually due to the scale lenght.

• Members
I read that on the Internet a lot. People comparing their squier to a 'friends' fender custom shop and both parties unanimously agreeing the squier was a better player. The number of epiphone owners coming to this same revelation is staggering as well.

Yeah, you see that alot. USA Fender vs. Squire, USA PRS vs. PRS Se, Epiphone vs. Gibson, ESP vs. Ltd., Ibanez J Custom vs. lower Ibanez, etc...

It's almost always the low end buyers wanting to do the comparisons though. You rarely see someone with a higher end model wondering if they made the right choice and comparing it to the low end version. IMO it's just people wanting to feel better about their purchase than just enjoying what they buy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy

View Post

My brother has an Epi LP that I play sometimes. It's a decent guitar, but blows in comparison to my Gibson.

• Members

View Post

yeah that's a classic internet BS you will never ever see it happening in real life. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by fretless

View Post

some guitars have a stigma and it's hard to get past it , some cheap ass junk guitars don't like Dano's , they freakin rock .

I've played and owned some cheap ass guitars that rocked hard. Even with that I knew the wood quality, build quality, paint, hands on work, time put into it, etc... was about as cheap as possible.

• Members

View Post

I champion cheap gear, but NEVER to a point to say that my Epi G400's better than an actual Gibson SG. I just usually say "This is good enough for my brokeass, so suck it". icon_lol.gif

• Members
It's more about not bagging on other's instruments with absolute statements involving unrelated guitars.
basically this

"WAT PRS TO GET- CUSTOM 22 VS. MCCARTY"

"well i'd never spend that much $$ on a guitar. my epi zakk mylde sig is bast of all. why would i waste my $$"

• Members

I tend to use some modified lower end guitars for live use because of theft. I have a couple that are not replaceable.

Today, we do have killer guitars at fair prices. Far better than we had it in '93 I started playing. Just about anything imported guitar wise then...not so good.

• Members
It's more about not bagging on other's instruments with absolute statements involving unrelated guitars.
+1. Buy what you like and let others buy what they like. Why buy a cheaper priced guitar then try to bag on others that own more expensive models just to make yourself feel better about your purchase.

I personally don't really have a brand or price loyalty. I buy what I like and keep and play the ones I love.

• Members

Honestly, aside from the SG version, they are some of the common guitars to come into my shop. The SG version is simply one of the most inconsistent and terribly QC'ed guitars out there. I digress...

I have had them come in with everything from just "sandpaper" frets and sharp fret-ends (which the majority of them have both), to majorly misaligned necks resulting is an unusable guitar pretty much. One came in with a huge hump at the 15th fret area that was unfixable. I would have had to bring down too much wood to make the neck usable to smooth it out.

Now with THAT said, most have come in with just the fret issues. I have managed to make some serious players out of these guitars. Sound-wise... Not for me personally.

Edit: Actually disregard all of what i just wrote. I was thinking of the Non-traditional line (ones with no binding). I have had none of the traditional line in

• Members
LOL! It's because there are those type too cheap to buy a nice guitar, they rather have 4 or 5 Squire and Epiphone and rg320 Ibanez.

The reason they agree is the one guy with a cheap Squire can outplay the guy with the Fender CS guitar, but the guy with the Squire is broke.

I had one rehtahhd say his OLP version of JP6 with a couple mods was just as good as the $1800 JP6 from EB USA. icon_lol.gif

OP- LP Trad Mahog is a fantastic guitar.

• Members
What happened to your autotune guitar?? How are you going to play on an out of tune pig beast guitar??
icon_lol.gif Haha, see my posts starting here (and the linked post to the Peavey forums that I made): http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...1#post47347884

I still believe that would be an awesome tool for recording, but mine barely worked worth a damn. I dunno if mine is defective or if Peavey and Antares just have a ton of kinks to work out, but I'm sure as {censored} not waiting around for it. Also, even if it works properly, I'm not down with how they purposely made the pickups sound like {censored}.

FWIW, Les Pauls are my favorite geetars evar. cop.gif

Archived