OT: Holy Crap

• Members

The weather forecasters got this one wrong.

At the 6:00 news they said the Northern Neck of Va would see rain until tomorrow night and then it would change over to snow.

It's 11:00 PM and there is already nearly 6" of snow on my deck. Can't wait till I wake up tomorrow to see what we've got.

I'll post pictures in the morning.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi John,

I spent the first 52 years of my life in NW New Jersey and yes, 6" is a dusting. However, here in VA it is a catasthrosphe. It will be days before schools go back in session and the roads are passable. I think Lancaster County has three plows.

• Members

I think Lancaster County has three plows.

Wow, I think I used to see 3 plows ready to go hours before it started snowing in the corner of the street I used to live in the suburbs of Boston. Up there 6" is a good day...

The day I moved to Florida we had 26" and there was more coming. So glad I no longer live there...

• Members

imagine my delight when i came out one morning and found this:

2366332450026985969S600x600Q85.jpg

the snow went from the top of my car all the way to the driveway in one big drift. i took the picture after snowblowing for several hours in an attempt to get the car unstuck.

i have a truck now :D

look at the neighbor's yard across the street, he has a drift covering his entire front door. so did i. i had a wall of snow going over the roof by the front foor for most of the winter after i carved out a path to the front door.

• Members

It's still raining down here. We're supposed to switch to snow at some point tomorrow. I lost a gig tonight in Mechanicsville (a good paying one, unfortunately) due to the snow warnings... they didn't want to chance us coming all the way out there and then either having no crowd or us getting stuck there.

Tomorrow night we're booked in Gloucester, which I'm guessing is going to get smacked with more snow than they're expecting, too. If we lose both shows this weekend I'm going to have some serious money issues.

• Members

God I hope this storm stays east of us....not likely though. As someone who has lived the majority of my life in upstate NY, I have lived with it and can deal with it. Unfortunately I work for FEDEX and getting a storm this close to Christmas will be a major clusterf***. UGH, and I have a show to do Christmas eve. God I love dragging a trailer in the snow. About as much as jock itch and taxes.

• CMS Author

Here in lovely southeast PA, last night they predicted anywhere from 6 to 20 inches by the time it stops Sunday, depending where you are. Wind gusts into the 50's, visibility near zero at times, temp into the low 20's. In other words, pretty dern close to blizzard conditions. Awesome. Did I mention this house is all-electric. No, I don't have a generator. The pellet stove is scheduled for installation in a little over a week. Big snows are rare this early here.

I lived in Orange county, NY for a dozen years, and yeah, this would be a pretty decent but not overwhelming storm there. Here, it's utter calamity. You don't want to go out on the roads...road crews have NO clue how to plow properly, homeowners and plow contractors push snow into the streets for days after, people think that "35mph" speed limit signs mean "in all conditions"....it goes on and on.

I'm glad I don't have my truck...nobody expects me to drive a Mustang in this, so I can stay home.

• Members

Guess I'm not far from you Craig, so we get the same local TV stations. I hate the way they all have the 'Chicken Little' syndrome, eg., they scream 'the sky is falling' when there is the slightest chance of a single snowflake falling withing 100 miles. Everyone panics and depletes every store of milk, eggs and bread. Then it rains or nothing happens. Cry wolf way too many times. Guess I should realize the news is all about entertainment....:mad:

My driveway is VERY steep. Have actually found our van in the street one morning after a sleet storm. So I can get OUT of my driveway quite easily, but getting back in is quite another story.

Lots of shoveling to do today. After using the leaf blower first.

• Members

Wow, I think I used to see 3 plows ready to go hours before it started snowing in the corner of the street I used to live in the suburbs of Boston. Up there 6" is a good day...

I don't know about that. I'm originally from central NY and the snow crews here around Boston strike me as a bunch of 2-bit hacks. I once saw a pickup truck plowing the highway. :facepalm:

-Dan.

• Members

I don't know about that. I'm originally from central NY and the snow crews here around Boston strike me as a bunch of 2-bit hacks. I once saw a pickup truck plowing the highway.
:facepalm:

-Dan.

I'm talking about Marlborough, Middlesex County, years ago...

Maybe things changed in past few years or it's different from your area.

Anyway, I remember seeing several giant plowing trucks on Masspike or 495 when we had as little as 2 inches. The town of Marlborough is pretty small, something around 30.000 people, but I used to see hundreds of trucks cleaning the streets every time a storm hit...

Archived