OT: Holy Crap

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm talking about Marlborough, Middlesex County, years ago...

Maybe things changed in past few years or it's different from your area.

Anyway, I remember seeing several giant plowing trucks on Masspike or 495 when we had as little as 2 inches. The town of Marlborough is pretty small, something around 30.000 people, but I used to see hundreds of trucks cleaning the streets every time a storm hit...

Once you get out to 495 and beyond, things start to shape up a bit. I'm talking more about inside 95. The vast majority of plows I see are owned/operated by contractors, but even the municipal plows are kind of puny.

-Dan.

• Members

It looks like you've got the storn system that we had out west a week ago. Living near the crest of the Sierras, We got hit pretty hard.

I remember servicing outdoor security cameras at Lake Tahoe (back in the late 70s - vidicon tubes ick!). The service call said "camera only shows snow". It took me an hour to dig that 12' high camera enclosure out of the snow drift.

• Members

Busy morning, got gas for the snowblower, made sure it starts, took the trailer out to pick up a couple subs I bought cheap and parked it again for the winter. My tow vehicle is a Scion Xa hatchback so no way I'm towing a brakeless 5x8 enclosed trailer unless the roads are perfect :eek:! Expecting 10 inches here + drifts :(.

• Members

Here in Central Florida its 62 F and sunny.:p

The pool is only 70 F because I have been running the pump only 3 hours a day to save on electricity. I put the pump on for 6 hours now so the pool will be 80-85F for Christmas Eve. Solar pool heaters rock!:cool:

Tomorrow afternoon I'll be flying into Newark, NJ and driving to North Wales, PA for work.:facepalm:

I shouldn't complain too much though, they upgraded the plane from a 757-300 to a 767-400ER, and my son and I were both upgraded to First.
Continental and Boeing rule!:love:

• Members
Our you sure that was Minnesota. We have the same two seasons in Montana.
:)

Those are our seasons here in Wisconsin as well. And yes, I have seen road construction projects ermmm... frozen, because we got a foot of snow 2 weeks before they had planned on finishing.

• CMS Author

Once you get out to 495 and beyond, things start to shape up a bit. I'm talking more about inside 95. The vast majority of plows I see are owned/operated by contractors, but even the municipal plows are kind of puny.

-Dan.

That's what I loved about living up in Orange County, NY. When snow was imminent, the HUGE plows (we're talking monster truck size, with 12-foot blades would be sitting in the median cop turnarounds, full load of salt, at each stretch of roadway. Two trucks went exit to exit, and did endless circles until the road was clear and the snow stopped. Then they'd cut in both shoulders and clean up the exit and entrance ramps. Invariably the roads were black as soon as the sun came out.

Here in PA, you're lucky if there's one usable lane out of three, and the shoulders are full until it melts on its own. Pathetic. Several years the state and city ran out of salt in February.

• Members

For awhile when we lived in Alaska, we became well acquainted with Jerry, who had worked most of his life clearing snow from The Thompson Pass (just outside of Valdeze)... where it's common for 500+ inches of snow to fall in a snow season. Jerry was approaching retirement age, and his retirement plans were thus:

When he retires, he was fixing to buy a motorhome and tie a snow shovel to the front of the motorhome, then start driving south. He figured that sooner or later somewhere on his journey south, someone would ask him what that thing (the snow shovel) is tied to the front of his motorhome. At that point, he figures he will have driven far enough south... and there he'll stay.

• Members
Up around 2 feet here.

Ditto here. Nothing's moving but 4x4's and my arm gave out before I could clear enough driveway to make it to our as-yet-unplowed road.

Mshifflett, where are you in the valley? I'm in Stuarts Draft and, tucked up against the mountain, we can get really dumped on when a storm system climbs up over the Blue Ridge.

Here's a shot of my deck yesterday afternoon when we were still getting an inch an hour.

PC190121.jpg

• Members

we're getting mildly stomped here, not too bad - little over a foot so childs play for this area.. someone just died in town minutes ago (11 month old kid) parents left cruise control on and the car spun on the i-state and hit a bridge pylon. nice christmas memories for them forever, i feel for them. how did people get so stupid? how do you NOT know to turn your cruise off in inclement weather? drive slower? be careful? i drove as fast as i could go today and it was 28mph; i ended up slowing down even more than that cuz i got tired of fighting the steering wheel. 20mph was about right. these folks were going full speed balls out on the i-state.

Archived