Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reasons NOT to use powerd speakers?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the idea of having a system that is well tuned by someone who knows their stuff, in a lab, and then breaking the knobs off. That is what a powered box gives you. At my level of knowledge and work, it works for me. I have enough issues working gigs without having to balance my system every time with crossovers, etc.

Seems to me an XLR and an AC cord is a lot cheaper than running those big ol speakeron cables in higher power applications.

Everything I have is powerred, top boxes, subs, and monitors and I am happy I went that way.

Occasionally I wish I had gone passive with monitors, as I tend to work for large bands (8 to 10 members with horns, etc) so it would be nice to add a few monitors BUT then you have to worry about enough load on the amps, etc.

My two cents worth
    Rod the fader monkey

Comment

I went to active speakers years ago and haven't looked back.

I'm a musician first and a sound man second (maybe even third). If I were running sound for a band, the only thing which I wouldn't like about the active cabinets is that on most of them, the idiot lights are on the back of the cabinet. If you're out front, you won't see the flickering lights showing you're pushing the system up to or beyond its limits.
      Will drum for food. Will drum with impeccable timing, feel, groove, and dynamics for $$$.

Comment

If you're planning on bi-amping, the cabling is the same for passives and actives.

How do you figure?

Biamp Passive = 1 NL4

Actives = 1 XLR + 1 Power

-Dan.
        Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.

Comment

How do you figure?

Biamp Passive = 1 NL4

Actives = 1 XLR + 1 Power

-Dan.

Correct, I was thinking more of the amps and the cable cost argument.

XLR and AC costs versus NL4 costs.

Perhaps some people use NL4 for two way and four way so they would have those costs no matter what.

Comment

Powered seems to save me lotsa of packing space and most all of the newer boxes have DSP that seems to optimize the speaker sound and response. I've sold almost all my passive speakers and now have all active speakers. Probably I'd also say they seem easier to mix and match (monitors that is)
            California Sound System and Audio Rentals
            Nice gig pics...

Comment

I thought the PRX718S is a powered SRX718S?

PRX is active MRX. VRX is active SRX.
              "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

VRX is active SRX.

But they don't look alike.

Comment

IMHO if you're starting out, or if you're planning an upgrade/rework from scratch, go active. The components match up perfectly, biamping is a PITA you don't have to deal with, and running a power cable to a speaker is really NOT the issue naysayers make it out to be.

And FWIW, I have no active gear in my rig. Were I to start out, it's how I'd go.
                  "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

We're a working band (90-100 gigs per year) running our own sound with a dedicated soundguy. We've been powered FOH and IEM's for monitors for nearly five years. I wouldn't have it any other way.
                    so over this signature BS!!!

Comment

Active speakers make very good sense for many ppl, and many of their benefits have been pointed out here. They are in a sense, optimized for peak performance by the manufacturer. I cannot argue that.

But you asked about the negatives.

1) You are at the mercy of the manufacturer since they are the only game in town once you have bought them. No repair negotation on pricing and there are no alternative parts. If a plate amp goes you can only have it replaced by the same item,

That means none of this, I'll just buy a cheaper or used replacement option.

2) You will be paying the frieight of something heavy, possibly half way across the USA, and maybe even while under warranty.

3) You will lose the use of that product for a longer period of time due to shipping and turn arround, rather than just plugging in another amp of any brand or getting the speaker reconed.

There is a term for all of these things. In effect you are subject to what is called "proprietary handcuffing".....in a sense, your are behind the eight ball.

4) I am a clip light watcher and I like the amps close to where I can see them.

I own lots of speakers and amps that I bought cheaply from being opportunistic in the used market. They were cheap to buy and are always handy.

If I did not own all of the spare gear already, perhaps buying a spare Active speaker would be what I would do as backup.

However, that still does not save you the shipping costs of a warranty repair or out of warranty repair, or deal with the repair pricing and turn arround time.

My QSC repair place is 12 miles from my cottage, my Yamaha Factory repair place is 30 miles from my house and my recone guy is close. Yorkville Sound is only about 7 miles from the Yamaha place.

I am in Outside Sales and I am close to any of them at any given time of the week.

The internet is rife with rants about long turn around times and expensive shippng costs.

YMMV
                      May you be in Heaven Half an Hour....Before the Devil Knows you're Dead!

I took the Road less traveled....and that has made all the difference.

The more you guys learn, the better equipped your bull**************** detectors and cynacal meters will become. -Agedhorse

Comment

PRX is active MRX. VRX is active SRX.
                        My understanding is that PRX5xx is MRX and PRX7xx is SRX - but the only PRX7xx is the PRX718S which uses the same driver as the SRX718S (but maybe a different impedance and/or the two voicecoils are brought out independently ?).

Comment

Yeah, I thought the PRX isn't just a powered MRX, just used in those terms for discussion.

Comment

It says VRX under Passive & Powered.

http://www.jblpro.com/products/portable/index.html

Comment

My understanding is that PRX5xx is MRX and PRX7xx is SRX - but the only PRX7xx is the PRX718S which uses the same driver as the SRX718S (but maybe a different impedance and/or the two voicecoils are brought out independently ?).

You mean the PRX600 series. Nope, it's not SRX either. For example, the PRX612M uses a 1.5" 2408H driver, the SRX712M has a 3" 2431H driver. The LF drivers are not the same part # either, though I'd like ot know what's actually different, since the 612 has a "262F" vs a "2262H" in the 712, and the 618 has a "268G" vs a "2268H" in the 718.

Comment

Yeah, I thought the PRX isn't just a powered MRX, just used in those terms for discussion.

To compare similarly to my post to RR, the MRX512 has the same drivers as the PRX512 and PRX612, the 262 and 2408. The SRX has the 2262 and 2431 drivers.

Comment

Working...
                                X