Reasons NOT to use powerd speakers?

• Members
PRX is active MRX. VRX is active SRX.

My understanding is that PRX5xx is MRX and PRX7xx is SRX - but the only PRX7xx is the PRX718S which uses the same driver as the SRX718S (but maybe a different impedance and/or the two voicecoils are brought out independently ?).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • CMS Author

My understanding is that PRX5xx is MRX and PRX7xx is SRX - but the only PRX7xx is the PRX718S which uses the same driver as the SRX718S (but maybe a different impedance and/or the two voicecoils are brought out independently ?).

You mean the PRX600 series. Nope, it's not SRX either. For example, the PRX612M uses a 1.5" 2408H driver, the SRX712M has a 3" 2431H driver. The LF drivers are not the same part # either, though I'd like ot know what's actually different, since the 612 has a "262F" vs a "2262H" in the 712, and the 618 has a "268G" vs a "2268H" in the 718.

• Members

Consider this with active cabs.

You have amp for comp horn driver another amp for the low driver then you active sub you have amp + driver

IMO you getting a tri-amped system.

Plus with today's speaker and amp technology it why companies like QSC and Yorkville can have years worth of warranty on their products.

• Members

I've been all active since Mackie introduced the Fussion series. I have never (knock on wood) lost a component when I'm running the system. On rentals a couple of woofers have had to be replaced and one amp module.

I cant imagine the amount of damage needing attention if I were renting out passive systems.

• Members

My QSC repair place is 12 miles from my cottage, my Yamaha Factory repair place is 30 miles from my house and my recone guy is close. Yorkville Sound is only about 7 miles from the Yamaha place.

I am in Outside Sales and I am close to any of them at any given time of the week.

The internet is rife with rants about long turn around times and expensive shippng costs.

YMMV

Not arguing with ya cat, but this would be the same for someone like myself with a passive speaker from Yorkville. Shipping costs and time from sothern cal to the eastern side of canada would be costly and timely.

On the other side, a trip to QSC is about 5 minutes for me!:p

• Members

Not arguing with ya cat, but this would be the same for someone like myself with a passive speaker from Yorkville. Shipping costs and time from sothern cal to the eastern side of canada would be costly and timely.

On the other side, a trip to QSC is about 5 minutes for me!
:p

The difference is that with a passive speaker, you would just ship the woofer if it were warranty and not the entire cabinet to Yorkville in Niagara Falls NY.

The cost of shipping would be significantly reduced. In an LS808 it means a huge difference between a 30 lb woofer shipment in the passive version and the 137 lb active LS801P, where you have to ship the whole cabinet under warranty.

Yorkville sends out a replacement since they have lots in stock. I know because my recone guy buys skids of their baskets. I buy fresh recones from him for projects.

In an out of warranty situation, it is a re-cone job done locally that solves your problem.

So it is not quite the same thing.:)

In my case I have a spare woofers and I can have it up and running the next day, while the other one goes to the re-cone shop.

I have been in this business since 1975, and whatever it is, I have it covered.

The other difference is that I rarely buy anything that is not locally supported.

BTW: I have never blown a woofer of any brand in all of my years at it.:thu:

• CMS Author

Wow good stuff here , thanks guys. Have any of u guys had problems with heat at outdoor gigs where ur speakers are in the sun ?

The only speaker I've heard this about is the Mackie SRM450. And that's only what I've read, seen probably hundreds of them over the many years, and never saw a failure. But since I read about it on Al Gore's internet, it must be true.;)

• Members

I'm not as experienced as 99% of the posters on here, but I can tell you the weight in regards to active speakers is really not an issue... atleast for the JBL PRX. I have a pair of 512s and you can easily carry one in each hand even though the "handle" isn't in a great place. The PRX718 sub is a different story, but from what I can tell the weight really isn't much more than other subs in the same class. The sound maybe a different story.

• Members

with that many SRX boxes already, why not buy some SRX712m? its a dual purpose box, small PA on Stick and Monitor wedge...

The SRX712m don't need much power to make them scream as a monitor wedge. But if you're on a budget, the MRX512m are nice also.

The PRX718s is not a SRX718s... yes it utilizes the same series of driver, but the boxes sound different. The VRX918sp and SRX718s/VRX918s are the same (driver & box).

• Members

The only speaker I've heard this about is the Mackie SRM450. And that's only what I've read, seen probably hundreds of them over the many years, and never saw a failure. But since I read about it on Al Gore's internet, it must be true.
;)

I've had 450s overheat on the floor as monitors, but never on stands, including at outdoor gigs in Florida.

• Members

The only speaker I've heard this about is the Mackie SRM450. And that's only what I've read, seen probably hundreds of them over the many years, and never saw a failure. But since I read about it on Al Gore's internet, it must be true.
;)

I have overcooked it when used as a wedge.

• Members

Ok, gotta comment again on the Mackie 450s. I used my pair for over 30 shows as floor monitors, no problems. I then used them for about 30 shows as mains with no subs running vocals, guitars and kick, with bass highpassed. Again no issues and decent sound. Mine are the old US made ones. I got the pair at a pawn shop for $100! They are beat to hell on the outside but work fine. Currently using them as monitors again in my new band. Only 1 show so far but again no issues. This was on July 3rd in a hot hell hole with no AC. My drummer has a pair of Mackie reconditioned Chinese 450s that have also been fine.

• Members

Ok, gotta comment again on the Mackie 450s. I used my pair for over 30 shows as floor monitors, no problems. I then used them for about 30 shows as mains with no subs running vocals, guitars and kick, with bass highpassed. Again no issues and decent sound. Mine are the old US made ones. I got the pair at a pawn shop for $100! They are beat to hell on the outside but work fine. Currently using them as monitors again in my new band. Only 1 show so far but again no issues. This was on July 3rd in a hot hell hole with no AC. My drummer has a pair of Mackie reconditioned Chinese 450s that have also been fine.

And that's great for you. Over the last 10+ years I've read at least 50 stories of them overheating. Given that, and the number of better sounding options out there, why would anyone, even you, recommend them to someone looking for powered speakers?

• Members

VRX is active SRX.

Well sort of.

VRX uses the same level of technology and quality of speakers but VRX aren't all active. I think VRX is mostly known for their small line array boxes (which they make in both powered and passive configurations).

JBL VRX

SRX doesn't include any line array boxes at all.

JBL SRX

So there is the difference.

To the OP. I think it depends on application. As a rule I'm still a fan of passive systems as long as they are set up properly (but I'm old school). Running extra AC everywhere can be a serious pain (not to mention drawing the attention of OSHA & local inspectors). I've found this especialy true on stage as monitors. It is also more flexable in that you can use the amp rack to power many different types of boxes as needed to suit the venue of the day whereas to do the same with active speakers you must pay for a whole extra power amp(s) (inside the speaker) if you want to change your speaker coverage area.

The advantages of active speakers are (as has been stated), the factory has purpose built the amp/crossover/cabinet/driver combination to function as efficiently as possible. They seem a lot less prone to "Opps I blew a driver" kind of mistakes.

That's my .02

• Members

Would u guys say that the prx 600 series is worth the extra coin ? Im seeing some pretty good deals on the prx518's and 718's. Im partial to jbl for some reason...lol Probaly the same reason i like my chevy, who knows However i want to get the best low end per cab that i can while keeping it under 1500k per cab.

Im going to listen to some QSC's (a dual 12 and the 18hpr) this week. Would be nice to get all of them together at once.

• Members

If you can go that high take a serious look at RCF 500 and 700 series. Only cabinet I know in that price range that has larger than 1" exit compression driver. I love my 522A's. I with they had better distribution so more people could hear them. I guess it's to my benefit that they don't.

• Members

I was referring to subs in the 1500k range, Sorry upon re-reading i didn't really make that clear.

If it were me I'd put my money in the mains. Getting a $800 per box main and $1500 per box sub doesn't make sense, to me anyway. I'd flip it to $1300 mains and $1000 subs.

Archived