Reasons NOT to use powerd speakers?

• Members

Its the sub dept that im hurting the most in. I have older jbl srx tops that other than there size and age dont sound to bad. Just working with the weakest link to start with. What ever sub i go with i will get corresponding top cabs 2nd.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I believe someone suggested earlier in this thread, that powered speakers "cost more". I'd sure like an explanation of how that view comes about.

Most decent powered speakers are bi-amped, so you have to figure the cost of the passive speakers, plus the amps, and the rack to carry the amps,,,, as well as the space to store/transport the extra gear.

Anyone who suggests that carrying a passive subwoofer of any considerable performance, will be "easier" than carrying the equivalent powered version, well,,,,,,,????? (120lbs, vs 140 lbs, are both a pain in the a$$ IMO). Most will have casters anyway I would imagine.

• Members

One big thing is how often you do outdoor shows. With passive boxes you can tarp the amp racks and the speakers are generally OK. Active is a bit more tricky in that you really have to worry about the power cabling getting wet, and also if you put a trash bag over an active box it's much more likely to overheat.

I do like active quite a lot, but for outdoor shows with any real chance of rain those passive boxes give me a lot more confidence that I can still do the show.

• Members

One big thing is how often you do outdoor shows. With passive boxes you can tarp the amp racks and the speakers are generally OK. Active is a bit more tricky in that you really have to worry about the power cabling getting wet, and also if you put a trash bag over an active box it's much more likely to overheat.

I do like active quite a lot, but for outdoor shows with any real chance of rain those passive boxes give me a lot more confidence that I can still do the show.

I might need to start a new thread for some low-cost, practical solutions for protecting gear outdoors...

• Members

I might need to start a new thread for some low-cost, practical solutions for protecting gear outdoors...

I've seen some great solutions lately, but these were all hanging line-arrays with weather-wraps that take literally seconds to deploy. nice looking stuff.

• Members

To compare similarly to my post to RR, the MRX512 has the same drivers as the PRX512 and PRX612, the 262 and 2408. The SRX has the 2262 and 2431 drivers.

just got home from a show where we forced to use a pair of prx512m as dual monitor,,and they truely suck!,,couldnt even rotate one to couple the horns.i wouldnt contemplate using a single as a monitor,just not good enough.,,might make an ok stereo keyboard rig or something.but i guess its a bit rough to compare to our usual bi-amp eaw mons.

• Members

just got home from a show where we forced to use a pair of prx512m as dual monitor,,and they truely suck!,,couldnt even rotate one to couple the horns.i wouldnt contemplate using a single as a monitor,just not good enough.,,might make an ok stereo keyboard rig or something.but i guess its a bit rough to compare to our usual bi-amp eaw mons.

"Truly suck" is a pretty strong statement for something that's generally regarded as of decent quality. "Truly suck" is also not much of a meaningful descriptor. In what way did the suck?

• Members

"Truly suck" is a pretty strong statement for something that's generally regarded as of decent quality. "Truly suck" is also not much of a meaningful descriptor. In what way did the suck?

i guess i was refering to them in our application.they just didnt have enough grunt to keep up with the biamp monitors we use.i thought they sounded honky in the mid range frequencies and the highs were buiried at high volume.couldnt even rotate one to couple the horns.

i dont know who regards these as decent quality,but maybe they should get out and hear some real gear,but once again,its "horses for courses" and if they are suitable for ones intended usage thats great,,,just not for mine.

• Members

i guess i was refering to them in our application.they just didnt have enough grunt to keep up with the biamp monitors we use.i thought they sounded honky in the mid range frequencies and the highs were buiried at high volume.couldnt even rotate one to couple the horns.

i dont know who regards these as decent quality,but maybe they should get out and hear some real gear,but once again,its "horses for courses" and if they are suitable for ones intended usage thats great,,,just not for mine.

Same sound guy you normally use? If so, was there time and effort putting into EQing them?

• Members

Same sound guy you normally use? If so, was there time and effort putting into EQing them?

i was with the system hire company,same BE as usual.

yes,time was spent to try to eq them,but they just didnt kick for us.

• Members

Martin Audio LE400 or F12 i think. Can't tell from the back

Thanks, I had been dieing to find out what brand those were. I really enjoyed those monitors. The next night we had two 15" EV QRX monitors each on a much larger stage and they also sounded very nice. It sucked going back to our monitor rig the following show.

• Members

Thanks, I had been dieing to find out what brand those were. I really enjoyed those monitors. The next night we had two 15" EV QRX monitors each on a much larger stage and they also sounded very nice. It sucked going back to our monitor rig the following show.

what do you use?

• Members

This came up for the first time yesterday. We had moderate rain for about 20 minutes while we playing. The band was under a canopy, but the PA stacks were out in the rain. I'm playing while watching the rain drip off our speakers wondering at what point do I stop the set and find something to cover them with or drag them under the canopy.

Since the rain was pretty much straight down and the water was just dripping off the speakers, I didn't see any/much water on the power connections. Still, it was obviously a concern. But the speakers held up just fine for the little bit of rain we had.

In the future, however, I will take steps to make sure we've got plastic bags/tarps ready to go when we do any outdoor shows.

• Members

I don't know about the ev force, and I don't generally care for the pv112m, but if those fm1202s have the original components and are in any decent kind of shape you should be able to get them sounding very nice on stage.

• Members

I like the idea of having a system that is well tuned by someone who knows their stuff, in a lab, and then breaking the knobs off. That is what a powered box gives you. At my level of knowledge and work, it works for me. I have enough issues working gigs without having to balance my system every time with crossovers, etc.

Seems to me an XLR and an AC cord is a lot cheaper than running those big ol speakeron cables in higher power applications.

Everything I have is powerred, top boxes, subs, and monitors and I am happy I went that way.

Occasionally I wish I had gone passive with monitors, as I tend to work for large bands (8 to 10 members with horns, etc) so it would be nice to add a few monitors BUT then you have to worry about enough load on the amps, etc.

My two cents worth

I can certainly mess up some sound if given the chance...

Archived