Projecting the Right Image

steve mac

• Members

I was hoping to wind down the amount I play this summer but have been made an offer I can't refuse to play a regular patio gig at a venue I have never played. Part of the reason was that the place has a cool stage area, lights and decent PA and the backdrop is basically the Aegean Sea. The owner is also investing in HD projectors for outdoor use whose main purpose will be to show football on large outdoor screens. That got me to thinking that maybe it would add something to create a slide show or similar that could be projected when I am performing.

A nice slide with my details; pictures of Liverpool when doing Beatles songs, Vegas for Elvis or maybe just "groovy patterns".

Anyone used either a projector or screens to compliment a performance? My first night is this Friday so I will get the lay of the land so should be more clued up then.

Still any and all advice gratefully received.

• Members

I haven't done that, nor do I know how the logistics would work, but it sounds like an awesome idea, as long as there's no football on. I've had gigs canceled in the name of football. (Which specific sport called football is immaterial, the fanaticism is the same.) It depends on how much they want to multi-task.

I digress. That's a great, great idea. If you were sticking to scripted setlist it wouldn't be a huge deal to do it manually with an extra Bluetooth pedal. I know the capability exists to queue up tracks in Onsong and the like. Seems like it might also exist to automatically pull up images on a separate device or extended display either separately or as the tracks' "album art."

• Moderators

since the infrastructure is already in place, and it will be a regular gig, then extending into a multimedia presentation is a fantastic idea. I have tried to get this across to our band leader on our Wednesday gig, but he doesn't get it.

• Members

yes... i picked up a program from a kickstarter company... prg is called fishbowl and is designed for digital projectors... all your stage washes, color changes, even two spot lights... several scenes and settings, i think you can even do pic in a pic... with a little imagination, a white box becomes a fender amp for a country tune and then a marshall for a rocker... flick a switch... fishbowl...

• Members

ive been trying to get people to use this stuff for a bit over a year, now, solo, im starting to get the show end of things together a bit more and a couple decent projectors are in the mix for the near future...

• Members

I've done a few theatres where they show the artist's or band's picture behind them while they are playing. A live cam might also work, if you could turn it off during breaks. Tried to upload a video as an example but so far I'm tech challenged. Will post if and when I mange.

• Members

Let's see if this works. This is a clip of Wang Yunyi (or Yunyi Wang) for a Chinese New Year's celebration that I was playing at. I doubt if the screens in question are that big, but it is cool to have live shots behind. BTW check out the monitor squeal - even the big time boys get caught off guard sometimes.

http://vid1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Shaster_photos/Wang%20Yunyi.mp4

• Moderators

What Wang is doing is projecting a multi camera show, which requires a person manning a switcher [just like live TV] and camera crews. Not exactly what Steve wants. He wants to projects images, which he may be able to embed in the audio tracks to trigger the projector images. like midi controls.

Archived