any ideas on writing a bio?

Voltan

• Members

i havent written up a bio since the 70's... ok, maybe a few but they must have been all lies because i dont recall any of it. the problem im having is i dont want it to be a " me" fest. im trying to completely avoid the use of "I", if possible. suggestions to writing in the third person are met with weird expressions and possibly unnatural body movements... im holding my breath until i get answers, thank you...

* inhales sharply*

• Members
Hard to make a bio interesting unless you've won awards or played with famous people.

Yes, unless you can make something small, seem large like; won the best busker award, Boise Idaho 2011. Whatever one includes, it should be fairly current. A few years back, I was dismayed to realize that all the "famous" people I had referenced in my bio (Mary Wells, Junior Walker, Billy Daniels) were all dead! It made me seem like a dinosaur, which I am, but I didn't want to advertise that fact.

• Members

ive never had difficulty with interesting stories about life experience... i have played with some major players but im not about that. i agree with the joke bios, my last one was typical band hysterics but these are different venues... i started doing this music thing when i was three years old... i cant remember a time in my life when i was not involved in performing, except for a couple brief periods of being a hermit sculptor shunning society... almost twenty years as a music therapist, and an insatiable hunger to understand how and why music/ vibration has such an incredibly profound effect. just the physics of the whole mess is beyond most of us...

• Members

a good friend was the house guitarist for WWVA Jamboree in wheeling,west by god... which might not mean much unless you were a country music fan. through that connection i have had the opportunity to share a stage with the likes of les paul, chet atkins, willie nelson, waylon jennings, doc holiday, philip "flip" wilson, from the bob wills texas playboys, tim * spits on the ground* mcgraw, * spits on the ground again*, or jazz weirdos like maynard furguson, count basie, and i got to sit in on buddy richs kit for a couple of tunes once... and immediately i sound like a blowhard...

• Members

Seems like you've got enough stuff to fill a bio. For my part I only listed the folks that paid me, but most of the ones that would impress a buyer have passed on. Sure I've jammed with others, like Joe Cocker and even John Candy - wait, see they're both dead. It's becoming a real problem...

• Members

I guess, or maybe I just need to be much younger! I suppose I could put Justin Bieber in my bio, but as much as I was impressed with his singing (just one song but he nailed it), I'm not sure if it would help, hurt, or just distract from the bio. Oddly enough, the summer before last, I was backstage with the other Justin, Mr. Trudeau. Everyone was getting their picture taken with this guy, but I had no idea who he was. Finally figured it out, but he had bounded to the stage to start his speech. In retrospect, it would have been cool for the old website to have me and my guitar, with the now Prime Minister of Canada...

Archived