Adding percussion

msmooth

• Members

My wife and I played our last gig with a conga player, as our bass player was unavailable. After we were finished, Karen got a chance to play around withe the drums. She now wants to get some and add them into our mix. At the current time she sings and plays a bit of light percussion (ie, shaker eggs or tamborine). I think this is great, as she realizes that it will force her to practice more with me.

We started looking into it and have to make a decision: (1) get a set of conga drums, or (2) get a slap top cajon. Either would add to the music. I am leaning towards the cajon for a few reasons, less $ to buy, less room to take up in small venues and the already full mini van. We are looking at the slap top cajon because you can play it while standing, just like congas.

I'd like to hear some thoughts from anyone who has experience with either type of drum.

Thanks. :)

• Members
the cajon is more versatile right out of the box and you can add a hat to it or whatever. the congas are more of a one trick pony unless youre skilled

"Unless you're skilled" is the operative phrase. Even a single conga can be a powerful and versatile instrument if you know what you're doing. That said, I've never played a cajon, so maybe it's the ticket for this.

• Members

I've played both cajon and congas and prefer djembe by far over both... Congas are quite musical when played properly, a cajon is pretty intuitive and much easier to play in my opinion but still capable of a decent expressive palette of sounds, again with an experienced and inquisitive player... On the other hand a djembe can be had relatively in expensively, is far more expressive, especially with less experienced players, and easy to mic live...

• Moderators

I have worked with percussionists for decades [and used to play congas, bongos and bhodran], and I am kind of with Voltan on the djembe, but I think like any percussion instrument there is a certain skill to really nailing the breadth and depth of its capabilities. Cajon may be a better choice for a relative novice, as it can be just a timekeeping device, or a solo instrument...or many things in between.

Archived