Collapse
No announcement yet.

Korg DSS-1 upgrade finished - 16MB RAM, 1.44 MB FD, USB, & more

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This isn't true. Of course you can save a single program. I think it's function 00, 01, or 02 under Program Parameters. It always asks you if you want to rename the patch before saving.

I

Comment

• I
      Korg Z1, Yamaha Clavinova CLP-350, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M, Arturia CS-80V, VAZ Modular, co-author of MinimogueVA and Arppe2600va.

Comment

• That's not what you said, though. or it wouldn't have been obvious it's what you meant.

Not that much of a hassle, though, if you work within the DSS-1 structural logic -- namely, you could go through a session saving individual patches, and then at end of session, save the whole bank of patches to disk before shutting down. One 5-second disk access to save the whole thing at the end, not a huge problem.

If you read what I said in a context, that is saying that you could save all programs, etc, it may have been clear. Also, I don

Comment

• Comment

• If you read what I said in a context, that is saying that you could save all programs, etc, it may have been clear. Also, I don
            Korg Z1, Yamaha Clavinova CLP-350, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M, Arturia CS-80V, VAZ Modular, co-author of MinimogueVA and Arppe2600va.

Comment

• Patch memory is not the same thing as disk memory, at least in DSS-1 terminology.

You are leaving out the fact that the stock DSS-1 by its very nature has VOLATILE RAM, so that anything you do with any aspect of a system (alter one of its samples, make patch memory changes. whatever) must also be saved to disk before shutting down, because of the volatile RAM. All of these changes are saved as you go along, working within a system, but to recall them after shutting the unit down requires a system save to disk, that's all.

If you want to save a single patch and not affect others, the way you go about it would not be any different than any other synth with memory. In fact the DSS-1 gives you the added option of OPTING OUT of a whole set of patch memory changes by NOT SAVING TO DISK; other synths, you make a patch memory change and regret it, you have to resort to getting them back thru SYSEX or from another bank.

No, my friend, as I explained before, if you don

Comment

• One of the biggest failures in the design of the DSS-1 IMHO was the fact that when you powered it on, it didn't have a default set of waveforms and a program loaded. The one thing I'd like to see in this upgrade process is to be able to turn it on to a bank of my choice preloaded with the needed waveforms.

My preference would be all 16 DW-8000 waveforms.

Yes, I know how volatile RAM works, but with the ability to use a USB drive or that nifty combo floppy drive with media slots, this is now doable.

-Mc
                Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. why I'll never buy from AMS again): Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Comment

• One of the biggest failures in the design of the DSS-1 IMHO was the fact that when you powered it on, it didn't have a default set of waveforms and a program loaded. The one thing I'd like to see in this upgrade process is to be able to turn it on to a bank of my choice preloaded with the needed waveforms.

Yes, I know how volatile RAM works, but with the ability to use a USB drive or that nifty combo floppy drive with media slots, this is now doable.

-Mc

AFAIK that is already possible! You have to name the system you want with a certain name, and the DSS will load it when you turn it on.

Comment

• ooooooh, sweet. When I talked to Tom a while ago, it wasn't in there yet.

Now the tricky part, where do we get the 16 DW-8000 waveforms?

-Mc
                    Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. why I'll never buy from AMS again): Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Comment

• damn sold mine like an idiot a few months back...what a lovely board...
                      Member of Performing Rights Society/UK

My music at
                      http://www.fliktrax.com/index.php/ca...sult/?q=panos+

Comment

• ooooooh, sweet. When I talked to Tom a while ago, it wasn't in there yet.

Now the tricky part, where do we get the 16 DW-8000 waveforms?

-Mc

I might have those... I used to have waveforms from most hybrid synths, extracted from ROM, like PPGs, ESQ, SQ80, Prophet VS and I maybe DW...

Comment

• Other example is the one I said previously, you load a system, modify various programs, but you only want to save one of them... if you save the system you

Comment

You haven't been paying attention.oke:
                            Just save the system of your choice to the root of the USB drive with a name of "DEFAULT", and it will be loaded (very quickly) on power up.

Most of the DW-8000 waveforms have an equivalent in Korg's DWGS waveforms (that are on many of the factory disks).
                            But don't stop there, make your favorite performance system with 128 programs and up to 64 Multisounds.

-Jim

Comment

• You haven't been paying attention.oke:

I've read the whole thread since the beginning and I somehow missed that. That's really sad because I STARTED this damn thread!

From what I remember, the DWGS waveforms that were in the DW-8000 were different from the DSS-1 waveforms.

But Juno, if you still have any/all of those waveforms, please PM me.

I can't wait to get this upgrade!

-Mc

Comment

• I can't wait to get this upgrade!

Well, what are you waiting for???

-Jim

Comment

• Working...
                                  X