Korg DSS-1 upgrade finished - 16MB RAM, 1.44 MB FD, USB, & more

McHale

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Now that can certainly be done! I just need to pick an unused bit in the program data to control it, and add the user interface to turn it on and off. Any suggestion on what to call it and which program parameter menu to add it to?

Looking at the source code, a unison detune setting of 1 yields the first 4 oscillators having a detune value of 0. So if you set detune = 1 and number of voices = 2 or 4, it should sound like a single voice. If not, something on the voice board is out of adjustment.

Yes, that is possible. I'll look into it.

-Jim

Are the kits being sold now upgradeable to future software revisions?

• Members

Are the kits being sold now upgradeable to future software revisions?

Absolutely! :thu: I upgrade mine multiple times a day. ;)

Simply place the loader program and the binary OS image on the root of the USB drive, and boot into test mode (hold data A up and down buttons at power up). If the proper file is detected, you are prompted "Upgrade OS (Y/N) ?". If you select 'Yes', then the version number of the current and new OS is displayed and you are prompted "Are You Sure (Y/N) ?". Select 'Yes' and the flash is re-written with the version off the USB drive.

Tom is maintaining an email list for all the kits he sells. I just emailed him version 3.95 last night.

-Jim

• Members

Absolutely!
:thu:
I upgrade mine multiple times a day.
;)

Simply place the loader program and the binary OS image on the root of the USB drive, and boot into test mode (hold data A up and down buttons at power up). If the proper file is detected, you are prompted "Upgrade OS (Y/N) ?". If you select 'Yes', then the version number of the current and new OS is displayed and you are prompted "Are You Sure (Y/N) ?". Select 'Yes' and the flash is re-written with the version off the USB drive.

Tom is maintaining an email list for all the kits he sells. I just emailed him version 3.95 last night.

-Jim

Thanks for the fast reply Jim, that's awesome. I'm about ready to order my upgrade kit- trying to decide if I should send Tom the boards or attempt the install myself.

• Members

This sounds like an awesome mod. I'm interested but am wondering if my DSS-1 is worth the upgrade. When I got it there was a key (low Bb) that will not produce sound. If other keys are held down, pressing this key with still activate the aftertouch, but it triggers no note-on of its own. I've tried just taking a cursory look inside the machine, but the keybed seems pretty sealed up and I don't want to go mucking about unless I have a better idea of what I'm doing. Does anyone know if there is an easy fix for what is hopefully a common issue, or if there is an ancient Korg keyboard service manual floating around? (I've only located electronic service manuals and nothing related to the keyboard itself.)

• Members

The problem with the low Bb key is most likely a broken wire on the key contact, or the contact itself is bent. There are two metal strips that make contact when the key is pressed down. The aftertouch is a separate sensor which is why it still works. There are six screws to get the DSS-1 open, a further six to take out the keybed. The procedure is detailed in the installation manual for the kit. You can download the preliminary version here:

http://files.me.com/tomvirostek/a2n0mp

If you end up sending me the DSS-1 for modification I'd be able to fix it for you.

• Members

In case nobody's told you lately...

Jim, you're awesome. The DSS-1 is exciting again! Thanks for all of your hard work. If you ever get to Chicago-land, you'll eat and drink for free my friend.

-Mc

Wow, thank you very much! That is very kind. You just made my whole weekend! :phil:

-Jim

• Members

I looked into this a little more, and the CPU takes some time after setting up (and starting) the first voice, then tests for unison mode, then sets up the rest of the voices. So, even though the 2 oscillators are exactly synced timing wise, they are out of phase with each other. I could probably re-arrange the code to get everything set up first, then start all the oscillators together, but I decided that it was easier to just give you what you really wanted.

I added another Key Assign Mode. Now, in addition to Poly-1, Poly-2, and Unison, there is a forth mode called Mono.

This is implemented in version 3.97, which I just emailed to Tom.

-Jim

Wow, excellent! I can

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

OK, that USB floppy combo drive was a nice touch. I'm gonna have to do that to mine when I get mine upgraded...

-Mc

p.s. that starting price is a steal!

The nice thing about that combo drive is that the Vinculum module will recognize any of the various memory cards that it will accept, just so long as you only insert one card at a time.

That means that you can use those CF cards that you just got. ;)

-Jim

Archived