Korg DSS-1 upgrade finished - 16MB RAM, 1.44 MB FD, USB, & more

McHale

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've seen it in person. It's humongous. Not the most logical placement of certain components made it so (floppy, and then joystick... that could've been solved a bit more elegantly...)

Yeah, you would think they could have elevated the floppy drive and placed it behind the joystick, but nope. there's tons of space inside the thing, too. But that does make it relatively easy to access everything compared to some boards. Probably helps with heat too. The base is made out of a thick slab of particle board, that has to have a lot to do with the weight.

• Members

Glen Stegner runs the DSS-1 resource site which has a lot of info on it.

That wood bee mee! :cool:

Glad to see this upgrade completed and finally rolled out! I am going to consider it, although my general experience with this synth/sampler is that I find most of the disk library fairly uninteresting and have no real desire to 'store up' on sample memory. I have other synths/ROMplers that have tons more memory and most of the useful sampled sounds I need.

I love this puppy for its big warm sound and mainly use it as a polysynth. Though I never laid hands on an Oberheim, CS80 or Memorymoog, I have played Prophets, Jupiters, owned JX's and Juno's and I have to say that the DSS-1 has the best poly analog brass I have ever heard coming from my fingers. Hands down. It's no slouch either at analog strings of all varieties, and the mod section of the DDLs enable all kinds of modulation madness not found in the simple sine-wave LFO section.

I really wish the mod had portamento (an unforgivable sin for Korg to omit it on the DSS-1), that would be the icing on the cake.

• Members

That wood bee mee!
:cool:

Glad to see this upgrade completed and finally rolled out! I am going to consider it, although my general experience with this synth/sampler is that I find most of the disk library fairly uninteresting and have no real desire to 'store up' on sample memory. I have other synths/ROMplers that have tons more memory and most of the useful sampled sounds I need.

I love this puppy for its big warm sound and mainly use it as a polysynth. Though I never laid hands on an Oberheim, CS80 or Memorymoog, I have played Prophets, Jupiters, owned JX's and Juno's and I have to say that the DSS-1 has the best poly analog brass I have ever heard coming from my fingers. Hands down. It's no slouch either at analog strings of all varieties, and the mod section of the DDLs enable all kinds of modulation madness not found in the simple sine-wave LFO section.

I really wish the mod had portamento (an unforgivable sin for Korg to omit it on the DSS-1), that would be the icing on the cake.

Glen, You may be in luck. I just started looking at implementing Portamento, and I think I have it figured out. I kind of got distracted adding all the USB and flash memory stuff. The current version of the software allows for updates to the flash memory via the USB drive, so once I am satisfied with the code, any existing upgrades can load the latest software version quite easily.

Another new feature that may be of interest to you is that you can load individual sounds from standard WAV format files off the USB drive. The only restrictions is that they must be mono and be one of the four sample rates that the DSS-1 supports.

Also, copy any system file (on the USB drive) to "DEFAULT.DS1", and that system will load at power up - no more waiting for slow floppy drives.

-Jim

Archived