Korg DSS-1 upgrade finished - 16MB RAM, 1.44 MB FD, USB, & more

McHale

• Members

It would be nice to see some of the new functionalities in the new F/W (chord memory, alternate controllers, LFO waveforms, DSM-1 compatibility, etc.).

At this time I am concentrating on the new hardware and fixing a few bugs that slipped in. Now that the boot loader program is working, it will be easy to add features with additional updates in the future. DSM-1 compatibility is NOT a possibility though, as implementing that would require a significant hardware change.

By the way, Congratulations to Tom, with the birth of his baby Boy.:thu:

-Jim

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep, congratulations to Tom and a huge THANK YOU for the both of you for doing this. I'm amazed Tom and you still find the time doing this next to all other commitments.

DSM-1 compatibility is NOT a possibility though, as implementing that would require a significant hardware change.

Sorry, my mistake. I meant reading/writing DSM-1 disks only, so that multisamples/samples can be transferred. Of course not meant the other things which would be obviously far too different between the two (oscillator structures, filters, etc.).

Anyways, thanks again and I can hardly wait for the first official firmware upgrade! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If anybody is looking to purchase a DSS-1 with the mod done by Tom, I have one I reluctantly must part with. Bought it directly from him, only had it a couple months I love it to death, but I'm moving to a much smaller apartment and won't have room for the beast anymore. I'd hate to have it go unused as it's a great machine.

• Members

I'm hoping to break even - I am asking $495 plus shipping/insurance, which is what I paid. It's in the same condition as when it arrived on my doorstep from Tom, never left the stand I put it on in my studio. Tom's page says he's still sold out, so hopefully someone in need of one right now can grab mine. It also has an SD card with the original DSS-1 library, so it's ready to go.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've stopped work on the new boards. Too many issues with the new USB and floppy controller. Jim has not had time to deal with these issues.

However I've done a different design, which is a smaller board that plugs into the stock factory DSS-1 CPU board. It is more work to install (instead of simply doing a board swap) but it will be less expensive and use all the same parts as the original mod.

The boards are being manufactured now. I should be seeing them by early July.

Sorry for the delays, between the issues mentioned above, new job, baby, etc. I haven't had much time to work on the project. I haven't given up yet though.

I also have clones of the ASR-10 and EPS16 SCSI boards available, as well as the DI-10 digital IO board for the ASR-10 available.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I've started making the boards again. The first batch of new pcb's arrived this week and, time permitting, will be ready in a few weeks. My time is a lot more limited than before, so delivery will be slow initially. Send me a PM if you're interested.

-Tom

The new kit is $250 plus $50 for installation, unless you want to do it yourself. New LCD or Floppy drive not included.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

My old web address is no longer valid, thanks to the termination of Mobile Me. My new address is http://www.straylightengineering.com

I've started shipping the new kits, so if you're interested, or want to buy an already modified unit (currently 4 available), send me an email at tomvirostek@mac.com. I've also had to raise the installation fee from $50 to $100 (to do just the boards) or $150 (to do the whole instrument). It's a time consuming process that's impossible to do in one hour.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Hello,

Can anyone confirm that a Virostek/StrayLight upgraded DSS-1 remains fully compatible with the KiwiTechnics Patch Editor? 

If I missed the answer while scanning the previous 18 pages of this thread I apologize. :womanwink:

Archived