Korg DSS-1 upgrade finished - 16MB RAM, 1.44 MB FD, USB, & more

McHale

• Members

From the descriptions, it sounds similar to the Emax I had, which had some convolution software that let me create digital waves for it.

It's not entirely different. I only have an Emax II with which to compare it which is 16-bit and has digital filters. I'd say the Korg is a little bit more full in its sound and only marginally less clean sounding. But actually they both have very nice sounding filters. The Emax II has fantastic resonant filters, digital though they may be. I would imagine the CEMs in the Emax SE that you must've had were a little bit warmer and woollier.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's what I was thinking... given how nice the DSS-1 sounds (only 12 bits, but 12 really nice sounding bits :), this is not comparable to an Emax, this is more comparable to an EIII. Not directly of course... no individual outs or multitimbral operation.... but it has more memory too (I think with the mod, this will have the most memory of any sampler with analog filters...) and I prefer the Korg filter sound to the CEMs in the Emu (or the P3k, for that matter).

i'll have to get one of these when I can afford it. I hope this will still be available in February....

• Members

Once I get the upgrade installed, I'm going to redo *all* of the sample libraries so it'll be a simple file structure on a single USB thumbdrive. DD floppies suck!

The additional RAM, HD floppy, and other things not officially announced are worth every bit of the $329 he's asking.

-Mc

One thing not previously mentioned is the SPEED that the new upgrade loads.

A typical system from USB loads in about 11 seconds, and that is an entire original floppy disk's worth - with all systems A thru D in memory at once.

-Jim

• Members

I'm really starting to want this upgrade more and more. The money is a bit of an issue holding me back, but I'm also wary of putting that kind of investment into something which is rather old and potentially unreliable. Plus some of the front panel switches in my unit need to be replaced, the keybed could use some refurbishing (replacing the felt strips at minimum) and the 25 year old electrolytics should really all be replaced. So the time and effort into really making this upgrade make sense starts to become pretty substantial.

And if I did all of that, I would have to figure out how the hell to make space for the thing so that I can actually use it.

• Members

FWIW, I had both an Emax and an Emax II. I did not think they sounded as good as the DSS-1. Hardly E-mu's highlights.... Also, I think the reason you don't see many for sale nowadays is the fact that they're dying, and have been dying since the mid nineties even. Cheaply made, unfortunately. (BTW, I remember selling an Emax to a friend who called me up a few weeks later complaining that the sampler had just died. As the thing was working perfectly and in perfect condition when he bought it, I couldn't see how that was a problem for me, but it did suck. He's known for being a bit of an idiot when it comes to gear, though, so he could have done something really stupid to it. However, I later heard of more of them dying and decided to never get one again.)

• Members

As far as I know, the Emus where using SSM filters.

Emax uses some sort of SSM (SSM 2047? some sort of synth-on-a-chip deal IIRC, with filter + VCA), dunno about the EI/EII, but at least the EIII used CEM 3387s. Same as the prophet 3000....

• Members

It's cool that life is put back into such a machine. It would be great to support them on this venture as it may help some other items down the road.

If I had a DSS-1, well it almost makes me want to buy one 16mb on a 12bit sampler is loads of memory....

Kaz

• Members

One thing not previously mentioned is the SPEED that the new upgrade loads.

A typical system from USB loads in about 11 seconds, and that is an entire original floppy disk's worth - with all systems A thru D in memory at once.

-Jim

Another feature that I just added is that a default system (of your choice) will load from the USB drive on power up. Just copy any system file to 'DEFAULT.DS1'.

• Members

Hmmm.....

A DSS-1 has been sitting on top of my Volvo in the garage for the past 5 years. Just needs a cord. If I sold it I could store two more keyboards there. Shamefuly there is also a Korg I-3, a wurly 200a and a Vox supercontinental on the same roof.

While they don't come up that often it seems they are still selling for a $100 or so.

• Members

Hmmm.....

A DSS-1 has been sitting on top of my Volvo in the garage for the past 5 years. Just needs a cord. If I sold it I could store two more keyboards there. Shamefuly there is also a Korg I-3, a wurly 200a and a Vox supercontinental on the same roof.

While they don't come up that often it seems they are still selling for a $100 or so.

You selling it?

Archived