Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey there IS a Tascam 8-track tape machine here at the 2018 Namm!! (Wed-setup day)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey there IS a Tascam 8-track tape machine here at the 2018 Namm!! (Wed-setup day)

But it's a surviving 38 from yesteryear, on display in a huge glass case along with zillions of other Tascam historical stuff.... da88s etc. I told the Tascam guy, "wtf.... you DO realize THIS will be the centerpiece of the booth???????. He said, "I agree". I said, w-h-a-t are you guys waiting for? He told me. I told him the reasons weren't very good. He said, I agree. Oh well. i gotta remember that when I predict the future, I've gotta get more details in.

If you're going to the show, forget going into the main halls first. Hang a right and walk up to the new hall built just outside the arena area. That's where a lot of action is.

Of course, then go to the main building to see the guys who couldn't get spots in the new building.

I'm going to some meetings and then nose around the new hall again. I want to see the new u67. It wasn't out this morning.
    Last edited by bookumdano4; 01-24-2018, 02:49 PM.

I had a 38 !!

Dan
    http://musicinit.com/fastfingers.php An Experiment in 80's Technology

http://youtube.com/techristian My YOUTUBE channel
    Music videos at http://musicinit.com/video.php

Comment

Very cool. I still have a lot of analog stuff in perfect working condition.

Tascam TSR-8 1/2" 8-track w/dbx (brand new heads recently)
      Tascam 32 1/4" half-track (also brand new heads)
      Tascam 22-2 (X2) 1/4" half-tracks
      Akai GX-77 1/4" quarter-track
      RadioShack 1/4" quarter-track (made by Tascam)
      Tascam 246 4-track on cassette w/dbx
      Tascam 102 (x2) cassette decks
      Tascam 133 half-track on cassette double speed (strange bird)

I have a bunch of outboard noise reduction... Dolby B, C, A, SR, DBX 1 and 2.

And tons of brand new tape in all the above formats. All of it stable binder era... no Sticky Shed.

^^^
      None of the above is for sale. I'm just showing off...
      Last edited by Beck; 01-24-2018, 11:13 PM.
      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

“Music is well said to be the speech of angels... nothing among the utterances allowed to man is felt to be so divine."

~Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Shucks, forget to mention my Fostex R8 and Sony Super Beta Hi-Fi SL-HF350. The latter still seems new because I haven't used it much.
        <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

“Music is well said to be the speech of angels... nothing among the utterances allowed to man is felt to be so divine."

~Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Essentially, to the left of the room, there's a new Neumann u67, a new 30-foot long analog soundtechniques console a few yards away from that.... and then the Tascam 38 in a glass case a few dozen yards away from that..... and the monolith from 2001 Space Odyssey.... no... I mean Slate's booth or Motu or somebody in between as you walk in.

Probably has some cosmic meaning somewhere or other.

Comment

Awww . . everybody has a U67. Besides, the U67 sound that's so in demand today is from a mic that's been aged at least 40 years. A brand new one will sound different. So buy one now and give it to your grandkid.

Check out the new C37 (Sony) with the Tonelux badge.
            --
            "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
            Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRivers View Post

Check out the new C37 (Sony) with the Tonelux badge.
              I saw that - it looks and sounds impressive.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by bookumdano4 View Post
                But it's a surviving 38 from yesteryear, on display in a huge glass case along with zillions of other Tascam historical stuff....
                I saw that too.

I never had a 38, although I've owned a couple of 80-8's, which was the model before the 38.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

I never had a 38, although I've owned a couple of 80-8's, which was the model before the 38.
                  I have an 80-8 sitting on the desk next to me, as well as an A-2340SX; next to them are two Tascam DX-4D four-channel dbx I units. All covered in clear plastic bags. The last time I tried to use the 80-8, the tapes were delaminating and the oven trick didn't seem to work very well. But most of my dad's old 1/4" tapes from the 1950s still play!
                  ---
                  Jim
                  Keys: Roland Jupiter-50, JX-8P; Alesis QS8.1; Korg DW-8000, Mini-Korg (original); Moog ConcertMate; Farfisa Compact Deluxe. And other assorted stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzMastaJim View Post

I have an 80-8 sitting on the desk next to me, as well as an A-2340SX; next to them are two Tascam DX-4D four-channel dbx I units. All covered in clear plastic bags. The last time I tried to use the 80-8, the tapes were delaminating and the oven trick didn't seem to work very well. But most of my dad's old 1/4" tapes from the 1950s still play!
                    If it's a gas-fired oven, it won't work. You need to use an electric convection oven to properly bake tapes.

- George Carlin

Comment

If it's a gas-fired oven, it won't work. You need to use an electric convection oven to properly bake tapes.
                      Oh...like in 'If knew you were coming I'd've have baked a tape'?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke17 View Post

Oh...like in 'If knew you were coming I'd've have baked a tape'?

If you don't have a cake baked, I'll settle for some pie... or tape. Whatever you have.

- George Carlin

Comment

For those who couldn't make it to NAMM, here's a photo of that TASCAM 38...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4196.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	32152899

- George Carlin

Comment

It was an electric oven, but not convection. Now that I have a convection oven, I might try it again.

I first learned about this when I read an article about Yes remastering some of their old tapes several years ago.
                            ---
                            Jim
                            Keys: Roland Jupiter-50, JX-8P; Alesis QS8.1; Korg DW-8000, Mini-Korg (original); Moog ConcertMate; Farfisa Compact Deluxe. And other assorted stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzMastaJim View Post

It was an electric oven, but not convection. Now that I have a convection oven, I might try it again.

I first learned about this when I read an article about Yes remastering some of their old tapes several years ago.
                              Shoot for around 140 degrees F. and bake them for about 4-8 hours (use the 8 hour time for 2" tapes), then let them cool for an amount of time that is equal to the amount of time you baked them for before attempting to play them back. When you do play them back, I recommend transferring them to a new medium simultaneously - IOW, make some digital copies as you play them back, then save those in a couple of places and work from those copies rather than playing the baked tapes repeatedly. The tapes can go back into storage, but they'll probably have to be re-baked if you access them again in the future - especially if that's a few months after their last baking.

- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                              X